Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Best way to make burp cloths (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/best-way-make-burp-cloths-t262076.html)

Wildernessties 03-03-2015 06:04 AM

Best way to make burp cloths

I would like to make some burp cloths for a new granddaughter coming this summer. I've read all sorts of ideas in different fabrics - flannel, cotton, terry, batting, towels, etc. so I'm wondering what you have found to work best and be most absorbent.

I've also seen where people use a whole pre folded diaper for one burp cloth and others who make 3 out of one fat quarter. This would make some much wider than others so I'm wondering if the narrower ones work as well. This is grandchild #5 but I never sewed anything when the others came along. I suppose it was because I was working or maybe I never thought of it but this time I'd like to try some of these as well as some bibs. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Diannia 03-03-2015 07:43 AM

I make mine out of flannel. I cut 2 strips 9x18 and sew them together, clip the corners, turn right side out, press so seam is nice then do a 1/4" or so stitch around it all to keep the seams nice and call it done! They work up fast and are a nice way to use up scraps. Sometimes both sides are the same pattern/design and sometimes they coordinate.

Wildernessties 03-03-2015 10:38 AM

Thank you, Diannia. I'm assuming you found that absorbent enough so I will keep it in mind. Appreciate response.

tessagin 03-03-2015 10:45 AM

Have done the same but little cross hatching so they don't get all wonky down the middle.

Originally Posted by Diannia (Post 7113204)
I make mine out of flannel. I cut 2 strips 9x18 and sew them together, clip the corners, turn right side out, press so seam is nice then do a 1/4" or so stitch around it all to keep the seams nice and call it done! They work up fast and are a nice way to use up scraps. Sometimes both sides are the same pattern/design and sometimes they coordinate.

beckyboo1 03-03-2015 10:46 AM

I made some from flannel and prefolded diapers--more absorbency. I just cut the flannel a little bigger than the diaper and sewed wrong side of the flannel to the diaper. I left about a 2 inch opening then turned the cloth right side out, tucked in the open area and top stitched all around. I have a new machine so I tried out different stitches for the topstitching. Easy and fun to make!

Tartan 03-03-2015 11:30 AM

I used terry cloth on one side and flannel on the back with a piece of 80/20 quilt batt inside. I did kind of a violin or peanut body shape with the inside curve to go at your neck. I layered right side together, sewed almost all the way around, clipped my curves and then turned right side out. I hand stitched the opening closed and stitched around the outside about 1/4 inch in from the edge. I did another stitching line in a peanut shape closer to the middle to keep the burp cloth looking nice after washing.
The shape really isn't that important but the flannel helps the burp cloth to cling to the shoulder so it doesn't slip.

Girlfriend 03-03-2015 11:42 PM

I always thought the prefolded diapers were too thick down the center. Instead, I made some using flannel on one side, and terry cloth on the other. They were colorful, soft, and absorbent. Be sure to prewash and dry in hot dryer before making - the two fabrics shrink at different rates.

You can embellish with colored ribbon, fancy stitches on your machine, or even appliqué.

Good luck, show us some pictures of your finished product.

mom-6 03-04-2015 02:08 AM

I don't recall the dimensions of the ones I made, but they were just two coordinating pieces of flannel.

NOELLA 03-04-2015 02:19 AM

I made some, and made them like Tarton like a pea made out of flannel both sides made for church fair.

Maggiemay 03-04-2015 06:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I make these out of flannel with batting in the middle for absorbency. They are about 9 x 18 with a little curved notch in the middle. Here are 2 I did along with some of the self binding blankets from the tute on MSQC.