Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Best way to make burp cloths

Best way to make burp cloths

I would like to make some burp cloths for a new granddaughter coming this summer. I've read all sorts of ideas in different fabrics - flannel, cotton, terry, batting, towels, etc. so I'm wondering what you have found to work best and be most absorbent.

I've also seen where people use a whole pre folded diaper for one burp cloth and others who make 3 out of one fat quarter. This would make some much wider than others so I'm wondering if the narrower ones work as well. This is grandchild #5 but I never sewed anything when the others came along. I suppose it was because I was working or maybe I never thought of it but this time I'd like to try some of these as well as some bibs. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

I make mine out of flannel. I cut 2 strips 9x18 and sew them together, clip the corners, turn right side out, press so seam is nice then do a 1/4" or so stitch around it all to keep the seams nice and call it done! They work up fast and are a nice way to use up scraps. Sometimes both sides are the same pattern/design and sometimes they coordinate.
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Thank you, Diannia. I'm assuming you found that absorbent enough so I will keep it in mind. Appreciate response.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Have done the same but little cross hatching so they don't get all wonky down the middle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
    I make mine out of flannel. I cut 2 strips 9x18 and sew them together, clip the corners, turn right side out, press so seam is nice then do a 1/4" or so stitch around it all to keep the seams nice and call it done! They work up fast and are a nice way to use up scraps. Sometimes both sides are the same pattern/design and sometimes they coordinate.

I made some from flannel and prefolded diapers--more absorbency. I just cut the flannel a little bigger than the diaper and sewed wrong side of the flannel to the diaper. I left about a 2 inch opening then turned the cloth right side out, tucked in the open area and top stitched all around. I have a new machine so I tried out different stitches for the topstitching. Easy and fun to make!

Power Poster
    I used terry cloth on one side and flannel on the back with a piece of 80/20 quilt batt inside. I did kind of a violin or peanut body shape with the inside curve to go at your neck. I layered right side together, sewed almost all the way around, clipped my curves and then turned right side out. I hand stitched the opening closed and stitched around the outside about 1/4 inch in from the edge. I did another stitching line in a peanut shape closer to the middle to keep the burp cloth looking nice after washing.
    The shape really isn't that important but the flannel helps the burp cloth to cling to the shoulder so it doesn't slip.

I always thought the prefolded diapers were too thick down the center. Instead, I made some using flannel on one side, and terry cloth on the other. They were colorful, soft, and absorbent. Be sure to prewash and dry in hot dryer before making - the two fabrics shrink at different rates.

You can embellish with colored ribbon, fancy stitches on your machine, or even appliqué.

Good luck, show us some pictures of your finished product.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

I don't recall the dimensions of the ones I made, but they were just two coordinating pieces of flannel.

Blog Entries
    I made some, and made them like Tarton like a pea made out of flannel both sides made for church fair.

I make these out of flannel with batting in the middle for absorbency. They are about 9 x 18 with a little curved notch in the middle. Here are 2 I did along with some of the self binding blankets from the tute on MSQC.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a machine that embroiders so I have always used pre-folded diapers and added an embroidery design. You could also applique a design or name on the diaper using scraps. I don't think you can find a material that is as absorbent or that wears as well as a diaper.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I have made a lot of burp cloths for gifts and grandchildren and everyone loves them. I make them with two layers of flannel with warm and natural bat in between. They are in a slight hourglass shape so they fit over the shoulder. The flannel makes them so they don't move around and they are soft. I sew them wrong sides together with a 1/2" seam and then cut away the excess batting in the seam allowance and snip the seam allowance like a rag quilt. A couple of washings and the edge is nice. I can get 2 burp cloths out of a 1/2 yard of fabric. I use the flannel from JoAnn's when it goes on sale. I make one stitching line across the middle to hold the layers together. My daughter uses them to wipe runny noses on her toddlers too as they are so soft.

I make two different ones. The peanut shaped ones are usually 3 layers of flannel. Sometimes I use leftover cotton fabric on one side so it matches the quilt. I really like the pre-folded diaper ones. Just zig-zag a flannel strip on them. Pre-folded diapers are around $13 for 10. I wish I had an embroidery machine because I'd love to embroider on the pre-folds.
    Name:  IMG_0172.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  80.1 KB Name:  IMG_0173.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  84.9 KB Name:  IMG_0183.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  72.0 KB
    Jo

This is what I did, except I did not use any batting. I bought a towel to use as the terry cloth, which might be a bit thicker than terry cloth fabric.

I also made bibs, with a snap closure, from the same fabrics.

My girls like these so well they have asked me to make some for the friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I used terry cloth on one side and flannel on the back with a piece of 80/20 quilt batt inside. I did kind of a violin or peanut body shape with the inside curve to go at your neck. I layered right side together, sewed almost all the way around, clipped my curves and then turned right side out. I hand stitched the opening closed and stitched around the outside about 1/4 inch in from the edge. I did another stitching line in a peanut shape closer to the middle to keep the burp cloth looking nice after washing.
    The shape really isn't that important but the flannel helps the burp cloth to cling to the shoulder so it doesn't slip.

Blog Entries
    I have an embroidery machine, so I use the prefolded diapers and embroidery a design and put ribbon or fabric to spruce it up. However, I love these pictures of the ones y'all have made. They are so colorful!

I have made many many out of the prefolded diapers. I add a strip on the short edge of the diaper. I also machine embroider or applique initials or something on one end. These make wonderful baby gifts and the new mothers love them and they are super absorbent.

I made some for daughter in different fabrics and then asked her which ones she liked best. I used prefolded diapers, flannel and bar towel. She liked the bar towel backed with cotton best. I prewashed all the fabrics and towels used. I then put wrong side of cotton to towel after cutting off hem and sewed around the edges, leaving a hole for turning. I then sewed the hole closed and around the towel. I then sewed a 2nd line of stitching 1/2 inch from edge. I did add some ribbon on the towel side of some before sewing them wrong side out. She did not like the diapers as they took too long to dry and bunched up in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemay View Post
    I make these out of flannel with batting in the middle for absorbency. They are about 9 x 18 with a little curved notch in the middle. Here are 2 I did along with some of the self binding blankets from the tute on MSQC.
    These look pretty much like what I've made in the past. I do a little more curving in at the middle area of the burp cloth and I've seen them done with a curve on only one side. Some people say they make them like a doggy bone shape. I've used flannel on most of mine and even a few with terry cloth and cotton. Something that makes good dust cloths when baby has outgrown them.

Thank you so much to everyone for taking the time to answer my question and also post some pictures. I now have lots of ideas and came to realize I can use quite a few of the fabrics I have on hand to make these. I really appreciate everyone's help. THANK YOU!!!

I used flannel with a piece of vinyl in the middle. Absorbent and it doesn't leak through to your clothes

I generally use prefolded diapers but it is really hard to find nice ones these days. The majority of them will crinkle up too badly. When I find the nice diapers, I buy as many as they have! I have 4 dozen in the stash since I lucked out a couple of months ago. I don't have any pictures of mine on the iPad, but I embroider a design on one end of the diaper in the prefolded section. I then do a decorative stitch over or next to the seam around the prefolded section. I highly recommend precasting the diapers first. If you have the "bad" ones they will crinkle up a lot! Might be good for absorbency on a baby's bottom, but not for much else. If you do get a "bad" pack, they make great cleaning rags.

i have made the shaped flannel ones too, and those work very well for most babies. I had a huge spitter myself though, the I needed something heavier.

pam

I make them peanut shaped very much like Jo M I used flannel and a very thin batting to be a burp cloth made out of a prefold diapers is a diaper used for the wrong end! They are expensive and I did use cloth diapers with all my kids. I still think cloth diapers are much more economical but try to get the newer parents to use them! Ha

I had lots of flannel left over from other projects, so i just bought a package of 12 cloth diapers from Walmart (not expensive at all) and put flannel folded binding around the edge of each one... The binding showed 1" wide - so i used up a lot of my flannel scraps, having to cut 6 1/2" x WOF strips.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

I read all the suggestions and then found a pattern online for both the burp cloth and a bib. I modified the burp cloth one a little and have made several so I thought I'd share them with you. I am still experimenting with adding some extra stitching to be sure they hodl together but at least I've started getting some made thanks to everyone here!! Name:  IMG_2432.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  236.2 KBName:  IMG_2433.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  333.0 KBName:  IMG_2434.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  261.3 KB

Blog Entries
    thanks everyone for all your ideas and input. I too need to make a few for a baby gift.
    i'll be making some myself soon.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.