Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Best way to make burp cloths >

Best way to make burp cloths

Best way to make burp cloths

Old 03-08-2015, 06:04 AM

I generally use prefolded diapers but it is really hard to find nice ones these days. The majority of them will crinkle up too badly. When I find the nice diapers, I buy as many as they have! I have 4 dozen in the stash since I lucked out a couple of months ago. I don't have any pictures of mine on the iPad, but I embroider a design on one end of the diaper in the prefolded section. I then do a decorative stitch over or next to the seam around the prefolded section. I highly recommend precasting the diapers first. If you have the "bad" ones they will crinkle up a lot! Might be good for absorbency on a baby's bottom, but not for much else. If you do get a "bad" pack, they make great cleaning rags.

i have made the shaped flannel ones too, and those work very well for most babies. I had a huge spitter myself though, the I needed something heavier.

pam
Old 03-08-2015, 06:42 AM

I make them peanut shaped very much like Jo M I used flannel and a very thin batting to be a burp cloth made out of a prefold diapers is a diaper used for the wrong end! They are expensive and I did use cloth diapers with all my kids. I still think cloth diapers are much more economical but try to get the newer parents to use them! Ha
Old 03-08-2015, 06:59 AM

I had lots of flannel left over from other projects, so i just bought a package of 12 cloth diapers from Walmart (not expensive at all) and put flannel folded binding around the edge of each one... The binding showed 1" wide - so i used up a lot of my flannel scraps, having to cut 6 1/2" x WOF strips.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:00 PM

I read all the suggestions and then found a pattern online for both the burp cloth and a bib. I modified the burp cloth one a little and have made several so I thought I'd share them with you. I am still experimenting with adding some extra stitching to be sure they hodl together but at least I've started getting some made thanks to everyone here!! [ATTACH=CONFIG]514159[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514160[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514161[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2432.jpg   img_2433.jpg   img_2434.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

thanks everyone for all your ideas and input. I too need to make a few for a baby gift.
i'll be making some myself soon.