Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batting for burp cloths?

I am planning on making some burp cloths for myself (I'm due November 15th!) out of some flannel that I have. I have heard of using cloth diapers and then adding a layer of flannel just to dress them up a bit, but I'd like them to be bigger than the cloth diapers. Anyways, (sorry, I ramble!) what should I use for batting between the layers of flannel? I need it to be absorbent, but not leak through to the other side. (don't want to get my shirt wet, yuck!)
    Any suggestions? I thought of Warm & Natural, would that be my best option?
    Thanks for your opinions!!

Blog Entries
    I don't put batting in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I don't put batting in the middle.
    Just two layers of flannel? Does it leak through?
    Thanks!

use some old towels. They work great.

I've read about using towels as batting for burp cloths and bibs. Have fun! My daughter was due on Nov 15, and made her appearance on Nov 2, she'll be 5 this year! Congrats!

Blog Entries
    I think the warm and natural would work really well in the center.
    There is also a heavier flannel available that is more leak proof, but I don't remember what it is called...

Here is a pattern I used and I put just a thin batting in the middle. I do believe is should say 1/2 yard makes two.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I read your post again. First baby? Won't soak through. Consider coverage. Don't spend money on something that is so quick to pass. If you want pretty, cover material you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    I read your post again. First baby? Won't soak through. Consider coverage. Don't spend money on something that is so quick to pass. If you want pretty, cover material you already have.
    Nope, our third. We decided we were done at 2, but changed our minds. After I got rid of everything, of course! :lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!! The towels are a good idea, or I might just try it with 2 layers of flannel.

Blog Entries
    boy i haven't looked at cloth diapers in years but when i was buying and using them they were HUGE! too small for a burp cloth? wow, how big do you want them? i'm sorry i just can't get my mind around a burp cloth bigger than a cloth diaper (the last ones i bought were 42" square) so you could fold them into a well padded diaper shape.
    if you want them to be water proof you can purchase the same fabric as used for water proof bed pads at stores like Joannes. i hope to see pictures of these giant burp clothes.

My girlfriend gave me a bunch of burp rags that were just two layers of flannel and they really didn't leak thru. I was kinda anal about throwing them in the wash after a feeding though. They also got nice and soft. Don't know if you have spitters for babies (both of mine were, one had reflux) but make sure the burp rags are good sized.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Heather I thought all of us mothers are supposed to have yucky wet shirts :D:D
    Sort of a rite of passage thing........... :D

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    boy i haven't looked at cloth diapers in years but when i was buying and using them they were HUGE! too small for a burp cloth? wow, how big do you want them? i'm sorry i just can't get my mind around a burp cloth bigger than a cloth diaper (the last ones i bought were 42" square) so you could fold them into a well padded diaper shape.
    if you want them to be water proof you can purchase the same fabric as used for water proof bed pads at stores like Joannes. i hope to see pictures of these giant burp clothes.
    Hmm.... the cloth diapers I have seen (or had in the past) have been fairly small, no bigger than 12 by 18 or so.... I'm not so much concerned about the width, but I want more length. My second baby was a spitter, and those things were never big enough. I always ended up having to change my shirt. (I know I will still have to do that once in a while anyways, but not EVERY time! :lol: )

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Heather I thought all of us mothers are supposed to have yucky wet shirts :D:D
    Sort of a rite of passage thing........... :D
    A rite of passage I've done twice! :lol: :lol: If I can avoid at least SOME of it, I'd be happy! :D

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Just messing with you, Heather!! :D
    Hope your pregnancy is going well. Seems like you just told us!! But I'm sure it's been several long months for you :)
    PS. I thought you were going to join me in the "3 boys club"
    but your ultrasound said different!
    Think pink!!!!!!!! :D

:You can always stitch a layer of plastic between the two layers of flannel...heavy duty garbage bags would work well..if you want something really waterproof and cheap. Not sure how they'd do in the dryer, however, so you'd need to air dry them after washing.

I've made a ton of these for my daughter. All of her expecting friends want them too. It seems I am in constant demand these days for burp cloths! I use the diapers and embroider with decorative font and use ribbon trim. The diapers are very absorbent. I've made the flannel also. From first hand experience on absorbancy, the diaper wins hands down! The flannels are pretty though and do a decent job. I don't line them with batting.

Burp Cloths
    Name:  Attachment-95222.jpe
Views: 352
Size:  39.1 KB

I use cloth diapers prefolded and here is a pic of them. Get lots of compliments on them. Here are some others I made also, never have put any extra batting in them! Aways open for new ideas though! Ok, I can't find the rest of my pics! Maybe add later!

Blog Entries
    I'd just use two layers of flannel or towelling.
    Remember, every extra layer will make it take longer to dry when you wash it - either dryer $$, or outside between rainy days.

Banned
    I use batting from the quilting I do....I bet I made over 25 of them for my DD.....I used flannel, batting, and flannel on the back. I have a very simple pattern that you cut two and the batting. It has a curve for the shoulder and is perfect. Then I embroidered all kinds of sayings on them.....OHhhhhhh they turned out sooooo cute!

Here is a plain one, just flannel w/batting...

Donna what are the measurements for your burp cloth? I would love to make some. And do you put anything in the middle of them? if so what do you use?
    Mary

I've used cheap towels and fleece as backing with no batting on the inside. I've also used just regular batting with flannel on each side. They're so much fun to make!

Quote Originally Posted by nana52108
    Donna what are the measurements for your burp cloth? I would love to make some. And do you put anything in the middle of them? if so what do you use?
    Mary
    http://www.craftandfabriclinks.com/b...urp_cloth.html

Maybe this tute will help you out it has been a while and I cant quite remember I would have to figure it out but this one is very similar.

thank you so much this does help!