Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Betsy McCall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/betsy-mccall-t95631.html)

New Quilter 02-01-2011 05:04 PM

I hated those "Tonette" Aug.perms before school started and then again before Easter...I told Mom that she made me look like a fuzzy French poodle when I wanted to look like a sleek haired Irish Setter...and, even being a tomboy as I was, I still like the Betsy McCall paper dolls...brought back lots of memories...thank you :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

mamaw 02-01-2011 05:10 PM

Well girls, you make me feel better knowing I wasn't the only one who looked like a french poodle with a flat top in those days lol. To top it off, I had glasses too hee,hee. I am enjoying everyones' responses and the stroll down memory lane with all of you. Thanks a bunch for the joy.
Nancy

Tennessee Suzi 02-01-2011 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by mamaw
I guess I have had my Grammie on my mind lately, and with all the quilting magazines I have...got me remembering how I used to love playing with the Betsy McCall paper dolls that Grammie used to save me in her McCall's magazines. Now, here I am grown up and buying McCall's Quilting magazines.
Do any of you out there remember the paper dolls, and having fun spending lots of hours playing with them also?
Happy Quilting!!
Nancy

Couldn't wait for the magazines so I could get the paper dolls. I may still have some of them because I never throw anything away

Neena 02-01-2011 05:38 PM

Yes, I remember those. Hadn't thought about them in years, thanks for triggering some fond memories with my grandma. :)

Lucymae 02-01-2011 05:57 PM

YES, my mom let me tear out the page and cut out the dolls before she even read it. I kept them all for years.

purplepamela 02-01-2011 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
I remember paper dolls. didn't play with them much though.

I didn't either or barbies. The neighborhood i grew up in was mostly boys only 3 girls. We played baseball.

ewecansew 02-01-2011 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
I love the Betsy McCall paper dolls. I used to buy the Mary Englebreight magazine just for the memories. Each one had a doll cutout page (heavier paper or card stock). I think I will be printing some of the Betsy dolls. Sure, I need more things like that. lol

Mary's magazine was called 'Home Companion' and was discontinued about two years ago. One magazine I still miss. Not quilting, but eye candy for lots of things.

Beffy_Boo 02-01-2011 06:38 PM

I loved those dolls! Wasn't there a McCall's magazine for girls? I seem to remember one...

Mornigstar 02-01-2011 07:07 PM

Oh I sure do-- and have been thinking of them lately too since they brought out the paper doll fabric. Can't finsih my plans with the fabric because I need to know how to
back the clothes ( which is fabric) so that they will stick to the doll that is on the larger fabric.
Know it's been done lately by some ladies so please
any ideas are welcome . Bought all styles of clothes for the
7 and 1/2 " dolls even have 2 boy dolls and the pets.
Came with no instructions.

Need help as the "Tak it over and over" is only suggestion but I didn't know it was going to be this hard when I ordered the dolls and clothes.

Originally Posted by mamaw
I guess I have had my Grammie on my mind lately, and with all the quilting magazines I have...got me remembering how I used to love playing with the Betsy McCall paper dolls that Grammie used to save me in her McCall's magazines. Now, here I am grown up and buying McCall's Quilting magazines.
Do any of you out there remember the paper dolls, and having fun spending lots of hours playing with them also?
Happy Quilting!!
Nancy

purplefiend 02-01-2011 07:08 PM

I remember those! Thanks for the memory. :D