Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Beware Pay Pal Users (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/beware-pay-pal-users-t58974.html)

charmpacksplus 08-11-2010 04:06 PM

I get these phishing emails all the time. I report them immediately to PayPal by hitting the forward button, send to [email protected], and you're done. You don't have to explain anything. They know! In fact you should not add any comments to the email that you are forwarding.

When you get those emails, there is usually a link within it to sign in to your PayPal account. NEVER use that link. It does not sign you into your account, it reveals your password to the person on the other end. Now they can hack your account because you just gave them your password.

I received several fake emails (PayPal, Ebay, Yahoo, banks) just this week - one stating that I had added a new shipping address to my account. It showed some address in another state. Phishing! One showed I had purchased a watch for 369.99 - phishing! One said I needed to update my password - phishing! One said that my inactive account would be deleted if I didn't update my email address. PHISHING!!

Do not click on any link in any email that makes you nervous. It's almost always a phishing scam. Go directly to your account by typing the url or website address into your browser, check it out, report it to security on that site.

Yes, it happened to me once. What a mess!

charmpacksplus 08-11-2010 04:08 PM

PS..... If you sell on sites like ebay, etsy, amazon.... do not use the same password for your seller account, paypal account and email account. You should have three totally different passwords as an extra layer of protection.

lauriejo 08-11-2010 04:16 PM

I am so sorry this happened to you. I hadn't ever noticed the info about the security key before, but I just ordered one. Can never be too careful.

dphelps 08-11-2010 04:28 PM

Thanks again for the input. I keep getting these letters from differst banks stating that irregular activity has occured and they need verification of all this info. I send each one to spam without opening it. Those from PayPal look like the real thing from now on I will send to Spoof@PayPal.
LaurieJo, I love your Avatar.

lauriejo 08-11-2010 04:30 PM

Thanks, my son sent it to me. LOL he knows his mom needs her coffee in the morning!

katier825 08-11-2010 04:43 PM

Sorry to hear you had a problem.

Jeannelle is giving great advice! Never click the link in the email. This applies to any accounts you get links for in your email, not just PayPal or eBay. It's so much safer to go directly to the site and log in.

dphelps 08-11-2010 04:45 PM

TOO FUNNY!!

sewmuchmore 08-11-2010 04:47 PM

Jeanelle,
Thank you so much I went to paypal and read about what you posted. I should have done this before now. Thank for sharing good advise.

dphelps 08-11-2010 04:47 PM

I meant too funny to lauriejo about her avatar.

quilt_happy 08-11-2010 04:49 PM

I've received dummy emails saying it is from Paypal, I forwarded it to Paypal and they informed me it was forged and not from them.