Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bitter coffee (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bitter-coffee-t260342.html)

tessagin 01-27-2015 07:18 AM

We use Folger's French Roast. I like to use the different not so sweet flavored creamers like Hazelnut, Amaretto, and Bailey's Irish crème original (when I can find it). Others are too sweet. bitter to me is like having a bit of very dark chocolate. I'm good with it. A friend of mine uses a few grains of salt to neutralize any bitterness in her coffee. Like barely 1/8 tsp.

Caswews 01-27-2015 08:05 AM

When I stayed at my oldest daughter's while she was recovering from knee surgery; I drank the Starbucks Blonde coffee in her Keurig and loved it .. Ended up buying her 5 boxes for her use after I left.

The youngest daughter uses her own coffee in the Keurig machine and loves it

quiltingeileen 01-27-2015 08:15 AM

I use light roast like Green Mountain breakfast blend, New England Coffee donut shop blend. Read the packages usually somewhere on there it should say light, medium or dark roast. Good luck.

romanojg 01-27-2015 09:47 AM

When you buy them make sure the say mild or something like that to indicate the roast. I don't like strong coffee so I normally use a large cup and hit the 10oz two times with the same k-cup to get it weaker. You have to lift the lid that holds the kcup after the first one runs to allow you to push it again but that what I do. There are lots of brands out there but most will tell you if they are mild, med or strong or bold roast. Now I don't like one of the most popular ones SB because even the blonde to me is bitter. I only buy from them when I get a speciality coffee in their shop.I don't buy variety packs for this reason, most are mostly the stonger coffees. Gevalia Latte is good then I use a 10 oz and an 8oz because it comes with its own creamer and sweetner. I normally never put sweetener in mine which is I guess why I like a mellow coffee.

ILoveToQuilt 01-27-2015 11:48 AM

Even though DD works for Teavana (owned by Starbucks), I refer to SB as "Charbucks" as most of their coffee is too dark and tastes burnt. Their blonde roast isn't too bad, but give me Dunkin' Donuts anyday.

Best way around "bitter" coffee...buy a reusable K-cup for the Keurig (Walmart sells them) and fill it with any coffee you do like. Much cheaper than the prepacked K-cups and you can use the coffee you like. (Reusable is also better for the environment - less plastic going into the landfills).

selm 01-27-2015 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ms Kay (Post 7065311)
I got a new Kerige coffee maker for Xmas. I have tried a few different types of k-cups and they are all very bitter.
Does anyone know of a milder tasting coffe that I could use.
Thanks

What size cup are you making? The bigger, the more water used and the milder the coffee. May be better even if you throw some out. Give it a try.

Quilting Grandma 01-27-2015 06:16 PM

my DD bought me a case of Folgers K- cups at a big box store. I love it. Tastes like old time coffee. Of course I am old and tend to wax nostalgic.

joan3111 01-28-2015 04:04 AM

I have been a Maxwell House coffee person all my life - went into the store the other day needing coffee and saw Folgers "Black Silk" - bought a can of it for no other reason than i liked the name - and my goodness - it is such GOOD coffee - maybe my taste buds are just reacting to something different but no bitter taste what-so-ever.

barbaraodle47 01-28-2015 07:11 AM

Krispy Kreme Smooth in very mild, nice flavor.

Ms Kay 01-28-2015 09:29 AM

Thank you all I tried the salt trick and it seemed to work. I finally finished a cup of coffee.
Thanks again