Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bitter coffee

Bitter coffee

I got a new Kerige coffee maker for Xmas. I have tried a few different types of k-cups and they are all very bitter.
    Does anyone know of a milder tasting coffe that I could use.
    Thanks
    Ms Kay

I drink Breakfast Blend. It's a medium roast coffee so not bitter.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I don't use the pre-filled K cups, I have a refillable cup. I use Starbucks Mocha flavored coffee, which is what I used to use back when we had a regular coffee pot.

Either get a refillable cup and go back to your regular coffee, or go for milder coffees and say away from ones that use terms such as bold, robust, dark roast, etc.

Blog Entries
    We use Green Mountain brand, Nantucket Blend, medium roast. Has a nice taste. We buy it at Sam's Club, 80 K-cups to a box.

The boldness is listed on the Kcups and no-name Kcups. They are ADDICTING aren't they??? I pick up new flavors every time I shop. Hazelnut is our fav. Starbucks....in any form is bold and nasty bitter to me. I do like their Blonde Roast tho....if push comes to shove. Otherwise...yuck! My coffee budget has doubled sine we bought the coffee maker. LOL! DH loves the convenience. So do I.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Kay View Post
    I got a new Kerige coffee maker for Xmas. I have tried a few different types of k-cups and they are all very bitter.
    Thanks

I add a dash of salt to my cup, cuts the bitter taste.

Nantucket and Breakfast Blend are both very mellow blends, on the box, it will say light roast. Many others will say Medium roast and they are much stronger, thus , to me anyhow, bitter. There are many brands other than Green Mountain too that have K cups and Vue pods to use in your Keurig brewer. Kroger has their Private Select brand and the Breakfast Blend is wonderful. It is deeply rich, but no bitter.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Starbucks makes a Blonde which is available but have to look for it. I am like you I think their are all too strong. I r to find the ones that says "light'. But do love our Keurig
    Grandmother of 5 and great grandmother of 1,

http://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes...e-t259445.html

Here's a recent thread with some suggestions.
    Alyce

Nantucket by Green Mountain is my favorite. I have it delivered directly from Green Mountain (recently merged with Keurig). I'm enjoying a cup right now!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    We use Folger's French Roast. I like to use the different not so sweet flavored creamers like Hazelnut, Amaretto, and Bailey's Irish crème original (when I can find it). Others are too sweet. bitter to me is like having a bit of very dark chocolate. I'm good with it. A friend of mine uses a few grains of salt to neutralize any bitterness in her coffee. Like barely 1/8 tsp.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    When I stayed at my oldest daughter's while she was recovering from knee surgery; I drank the Starbucks Blonde coffee in her Keurig and loved it .. Ended up buying her 5 boxes for her use after I left.

The youngest daughter uses her own coffee in the Keurig machine and loves it
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I use light roast like Green Mountain breakfast blend, New England Coffee donut shop blend. Read the packages usually somewhere on there it should say light, medium or dark roast. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    When you buy them make sure the say mild or something like that to indicate the roast. I don't like strong coffee so I normally use a large cup and hit the 10oz two times with the same k-cup to get it weaker. You have to lift the lid that holds the kcup after the first one runs to allow you to push it again but that what I do. There are lots of brands out there but most will tell you if they are mild, med or strong or bold roast. Now I don't like one of the most popular ones SB because even the blonde to me is bitter. I only buy from them when I get a speciality coffee in their shop.I don't buy variety packs for this reason, most are mostly the stonger coffees. Gevalia Latte is good then I use a 10 oz and an 8oz because it comes with its own creamer and sweetner. I normally never put sweetener in mine which is I guess why I like a mellow coffee.
    Last edited by romanojg; 01-27-2015 at 09:50 AM.
    Judy

Even though DD works for Teavana (owned by Starbucks), I refer to SB as "Charbucks" as most of their coffee is too dark and tastes burnt. Their blonde roast isn't too bad, but give me Dunkin' Donuts anyday.

Best way around "bitter" coffee...buy a reusable K-cup for the Keurig (Walmart sells them) and fill it with any coffee you do like. Much cheaper than the prepacked K-cups and you can use the coffee you like. (Reusable is also better for the environment - less plastic going into the landfills).
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Kay View Post
    Thanks
    What size cup are you making? The bigger, the more water used and the milder the coffee. May be better even if you throw some out. Give it a try.
    Sally

my DD bought me a case of Folgers K- cups at a big box store. I love it. Tastes like old time coffee. Of course I am old and tend to wax nostalgic.
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

I have been a Maxwell House coffee person all my life - went into the store the other day needing coffee and saw Folgers "Black Silk" - bought a can of it for no other reason than i liked the name - and my goodness - it is such GOOD coffee - maybe my taste buds are just reacting to something different but no bitter taste what-so-ever.

Krispy Kreme Smooth in very mild, nice flavor.

Thank you all I tried the salt trick and it seemed to work. I finally finished a cup of coffee.
    Thanks again
    Ms Kay

Quote Originally Posted by kuntryquilter View Post
    I add a dash of salt to my cup, cuts the bitter taste.
    I agree!! Been doing this for a very long time. Makes a big difference!!
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Just a quick note that if you buy one of the new Keurigs, you can't use either the My K-Cup or generic coffee brands. They only work with Keurig-branded cups. Just another money-making measure on Keurig's part... I guess they have a right to capitalism. I'm just hoping my older model lasts forever so I can use what I want!

I've had a Keurig for many years- I use Green Mountain Colombian, eight o'clock,
    Also Colombian- I stay away from dark and medium roasts
    Creativity is the essence of the soul
    Sandi

I absolutely love the Gevalia dark roast.. very smooth and no bitterness at all.
    Kitty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    Just a quick note that if you buy one of the new Keurigs, you can't use either the My K-Cup or generic coffee brands. They only work with Keurig-branded cups.
    I suspect it won't be long before someone comes out with another refillable filter to fit the new Keurigs.

I love my Keurig - I love a fresh hot cup of coffee sometimes in the afternoon or evenings, and when my husband is out of town I don't need to brew a whole pot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast