Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/book-readers-what-books-you-reading-lets-chit-chat-t49707.html)

raptureready 06-15-2010 04:24 AM

I just read Civil War Quilt Diary, and recently the third in the Winsome Ways of Miss Eudora Rumph series by Catherine Ritch Guess. Hilarious books.

janRN 06-15-2010 04:59 AM

I love to read but you ladies are shaming me. I love trashy true crime novels, esp by Ann Rule. I guess they are my "guilty pleasure". I got hooked on Ann Rule when she wrote "The Stranger Beside Me" about Ted Bundy. She was a police officer, detective, etc., yet worked side by side with him for years while the killings were going on. Just proves you can't judge a person by his appearance. I read 3-4 books per week; get most of them from co-workers and thrift shop. Don't belong to library but did when I was in school.

Beachbound 06-15-2010 05:04 AM

I have loved to read my whole life. I try to read 100 books a year but I'm way behind this~ only 27 so far (I got a new sewing machine for Christmas ;-) ) Right now I am reading Vison in White by Nora Roberts...sure it's fluff but just right for summer reading!! Love Susan Wiggs!!! If you liked her try Mary Alice Monore, Dorothea Benton Frank, ...oh I could go on & on LOL!!!

Pam B 06-15-2010 05:20 AM

I just finished WINTER GARDEN by Kristin Hannah. It was an excellent novel. I love to read and I have to be careful, if I have a novel I am really enjoying, then reading is the only thing I want to do. I do frequent the public library...as a matter of fact, for many years I was on the board of trustees. I am considering buying myself a Nook because when I cannot get a book at the library when I want to read it, I will often just go to the bookstore and buy it. Now I have too many books and not enough space for them.

Pamela Artman 06-15-2010 05:42 AM

I just finished "Same Kind of Different As Me" by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. This is a true story about a homeless man who worked on a cotton plantation in Louisiana, an international art dealer, and the relationship that forms between them when the art dealer and his wife start working at a homeless shelter. It was very moving, to the point that I cried through two whole chapters. I do have a library card but I have so many people that I trade books with, it seems I never run out of books. Has anyone read the series by Diana Gabaldon? I've read the first 5 but I think there's 7 or 8 by now. I want to read them again and get the rest of them. They are awesome!

LindaR 06-15-2010 05:48 AM

I've been into Nora Roberts lately...The Calhoun sisters, The Key series, she is such a story teller...Love Robyn Carr also, Have read all 11 Virgin Rivers Series...

LindaR 06-15-2010 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by no1jan
I have difficulty reading because of my eyes, but I love listening to audio tapes. I have a large collection plus borrow them from the library.

Currently I am listening to "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen.

That was such a good book....

redkimba 06-15-2010 05:49 AM

I do belong to my local library - they have an excellent selection of books.

I just finished reading "the Lost German Slave Girl" by John Bailey. it was about a famous case of a German woman who was originally indentured as a girl then enslaved.

Before that I read "The Candy Bombers: The Untold Story of the Berlin Airlift and America's Finest Hour". Little bit of a dry read, but really good.

Now I'm treating myself to a Sookie Stackhouse book. Need a little bit of brain-candy. :)

Boston1954 06-15-2010 06:00 AM

Right now I am into one called "Northern Dancer". It is about the first horse to win the Kentucky Derby in 2 minutes flat.

quiltedrunner 06-15-2010 06:03 AM

Jodi Picoult is definitely one of my favs! I also enjoy Nora Roberts, Nicholas Sparks, and anything that just looks like it might be good... :D I also truly enjoy just sitting down with my Bible and scanning, especially Psalms.