Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bread maker (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bread-maker-t139461.html)

sailsablazin 07-26-2011 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Robinlee
you should be able to go to Allrecipes.com or Tasteofhome.com and find recipes for Breadmakers. I have one and use for breads, rolls, pizza dough and pretzels. I use the manual book with recipes for most, but I also have a book that is dedicated just for breadmakers that I purchased at a Sam's club I believe years ago. I would check Half.com. That is where I purchase alot of my books, including quilting.

I do have several breadmaker recipe books but all of the breads that I have tried are pretty dense...NOT light and fluffy..
will try to get the recipe for the light and fluffy potato bread.

sailsablazin 07-26-2011 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by lowjane
Mine love plain old potato bread it is light and fluffy

Could you possibly send me the recipe for your light and fluffy potato bread? Do you use the breadmaker or do it by hand? I have done both and am willing to do it either way if I can find a great recipe.
I would like to find a recipe that my kids will eat!!!
Thank you.

patsyo56721 07-26-2011 12:18 PM

Would like a copy of fluffy potato bread also

QBeth 07-29-2011 12:32 PM

If this is "truth & tell" time, I just re-found my bread machine in the basement. It's been lost since I last used it, unsuccessfully, just before I moved nine years ago. :-( Somebody packed it before I had a chance to remove the failure. Yup, pretty scary when I checked inside! It looked like an alien experiment gone wrong. :-)

Butterflyblue 07-30-2011 05:46 AM

I love my bread machine and never use mixes. Just too expensive. I get recipes online and also check your local library for books of bread machine recipes. I found a good one called "Bread Machine Magic". I tried a few recipes, copied the ones I liked, and next time I feel like experimenting, the book will be there at the library and I can check it out again.

And like others mentioned, I only use my machine to make the dough. Then I shape it and put it in a pan. Adds a minimal amount of work and makes a much better loaf, in my opinion.

I also mix up a lot of rolls and breakfast breads the day before I want them, shape them and put them in the fridge. Let rise 20-30 min in a warm oven the next morning (or longer at room temp.) and then bake as usual. Fresh cinnamon rolls for breakfast but I don't have to get up 2 hours early to do it, just get up the first time the alarm goes off instead of snoozing it several times.

Pzazz 08-04-2011 05:06 PM

For most of my life I made bread by hand....love getting my hands in the dough!!! When the arthritis in my hands finally got too painful, I broke down and bought a bread machine. I tried a few mixes, but found we liked from scratch better. I have a few favourite recipes, and a co-worker just shared this one. It calls for just white flour, but I have had good success also substituting some whole wheat flour, and adding ground flax.

Best Old Fashioned White Bread in Bread Machine

Whisk together and microwave for 90 seconds:
1 C. milk
1 egg
Add:
2 Tbsp. butter, marg, or Crisco solid.
Pour into bread pan.

Spread evenly on top of liquid:
3 C. flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. yeast

Use basic setting, light or medium crust.

Patti