Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bringing out the Stupid Stick again...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bringing-out-stupid-stick-again-t20577.html)

Ducky 05-26-2009 06:27 AM

The hard drive on my computer went totally belly up last week. I had all nine months of my granddaughter's life downloaded on it, plus all my stained glass and quilt pictures. Throughout the past couple months, I kept telling myself that, "one of these days I'll copy everything to disks." {The thumping sound you may hear is me repeatedly pounding my head on my desk} My husband is a computer geek who works on computers all day long, and so far he can't retrieve anything. So, whoever has that stick, please pass it over 'cuz I really need it.

Ninnie 05-26-2009 06:31 AM

Sorry Ducky, wore mine out years ago!

Ninnie

reneebobby 05-26-2009 06:37 AM

OH so sorry

gaigai 05-26-2009 06:40 AM

Sorry Ducky, I keep mine for beating docs with. If DH can't retrieve the photos, I'll bet Momma and other aunties etc. can replace most of them. Good luck!

tlrnhi 05-26-2009 06:46 AM

Oh no Ducky! That's horrible!
I know EXACTLY what you mean! Been there done that and I think I broke that stick!

Ninnie 05-26-2009 06:49 AM

Ducky, you can store your photos on line with Picassa or flikr and it is free! That is what I do!

Ninnie

tlrnhi 05-26-2009 06:51 AM

I bit the bullet and got a portable hard drive. I got it for a REALLY good price. Now, before my computer decided to act up, I need to get everything moved over to it.
I used to use thumb drives because I could pick them up really cheap or people would just give me theirs because they would go out and buy the hard drives, so I decided that instead of all these little things hanging out on my desk, I needed something that wouldn't get lost as easily.

Mplsgirl 05-26-2009 06:54 AM

Our computer did the same thing a while back. We took it to our computer person and she was able to recover all my pictures as well as various other things. Don't give up!

Marcia 05-26-2009 06:54 AM

Ducky--I am so sorry!!!! I know that horrible sickening feeling in the pit of your stomach when you realize what has happened. :shock: My son in law WAS able to retrieve everything off of my daughter's computer when the same thing happened to her so I will keep my fingers crossed for you that your husband will be able to find yours too.

How about investing in an external hard drive for photo storage in the future? They are not that expensive and can be a life saver. Is this suggestion the same as "closing the barn door after the horse is out?"

PrettyKitty 05-26-2009 06:57 AM

I have a lot of stuff on my laptop, but I would say most of it is in my 'cloud'.....ie being stored up in the intangible world of the internet....all my important documents are with Google via Gmail.....all my important photos are with flickr, and I do all my financial dealings online too. I could drop my laptop into the sea and still be able to access everything I need as long as I could get to the web. And it costs nothing and is all super secure. Well, Flickr costs about 12 quid a year, which is nothing.

Sorry to hear you lost all those precious pics though Ducky, that happened to my bro last year, he's an IT guy too and couldn't get them back. DOn't be too hard on your self, we've all done it!