Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   British television at the moment -- is great -- (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/british-television-moment-great-t253776.html)

AngeliaNR 09-16-2014 08:49 AM

I like Single-Handed, too.

madamekelly 09-16-2014 11:00 AM

Lately I have been watching a series filmed in Scotland, with Scottish actors, but produced for Starz, called "Outlander". Love it!

Stitchnripper 09-16-2014 02:01 PM

Love the new Dallas, but of course, miss JR. Also Downton Abbey and Mr. Selfridge. We also like the Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch (I call him Benedict Cumberbund!) Am going to look for Paradise but our DVR guide only goes two weeks out.

2manyhobbies 09-17-2014 04:18 AM

I bought Acorn streaming (like Netflix), just to watch British series. Love them all.

damaquilts 09-17-2014 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches (Post 6889456)
I love British detective show: Lovejoy, Frost, Inspector Morris, Lewis, Midsomer Murders, Pie in the Sky, Scott and Bailey, New Tricks, DC Banks, anything Agatha Christy. Doc Martin. I signed up for an online service called Acorn TV wbich has a lot of these. We cancelled cable because too expensive so watch alot of Netflix, youtube, and acorn Tv. I do miss news shows but listen to talk radio when in my sewing room.

You have listed some of my favorites also.I am watching Midsomer Murders now. Loved Doc Martin and of course Agatha Christy.. And British comedies are so much better too. I have Netflix on my computer which is in my sewing room .I don't own a TV . Don't miss it one bit .. well maybe a little, CSI type shows I always liked. I will check out some of the others you mentioned.

damaquilts 09-17-2014 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly (Post 6891382)
Lately I have been watching a series filmed in Scotland, with Scottish actors, but produced for Starz, called "Outlander". Love it!

Have you read the books?

madamekelly 09-17-2014 07:09 AM

Yes, I have read them, from the library first and then had to go get my own set. I started to re-read them recently and remembered that they were working on a movie/series and when I checked, the series was starting in two weeks! This series is faithful to the original books because the author is very involved with the shooting, so much so that she even did a cameo in the series.
The one good thing about having memory problems from a stroke, is you can read a book a second time, and it is a new story each time. Count your blessings.

yobrosew 09-17-2014 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by sarahelloyd (Post 6889467)
If you like those series you might want to look out for two series, 1 is Shetland about the police in the Shetland Islands (small settled islands off shore in Scotland and the other is Vera about a murder detective working around Newcastle in Northern England. They are both in the Morse/Lewis type! Hope this helps. But no. I can't stand Downton Abbey or anything to do with. The writer is a complete #########.

Don't like Downtown Abby either! I find it petty, foul, and overly pushing agendas (not that I don't agree with the agendas, just don't like it so obvious. Amazes me how many mothers watch it with their young daughters. I mean, it is pretty trashy for kids.)

ktarsha 09-17-2014 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 6889850)
I'm hooked on Dr. Who, and also Sherlock. Both British and those are in my top 3 favorite shows. (1st is Game of Thrones, that show is *amazing* if you're into Fantasy fiction. Not at all appropriate for kids though; too much violence & nudity.)

I love Doctor Who! I'm really liking the new vibe with Peter Capaldi. Also really liked Torchwood. Sherlock - love that, too, although I hate the wait between seasons.

My husband didn't want to watch Downton Abbey, so I didn't get into it until this past winter, when I binge-watched the entire thing online while recovering from surgery. Older shows I enjoyed, although I haven't watched them in a while: Lovejoy, Sherlock Holmes (with Jeremy Brett), Vicar of Dibley, 'Allo 'Allo, Inspector Morse, All Creatures Great and Small, The Good Life (known in the U.S. as Good Neighbors).

nativetexan 09-17-2014 05:00 PM

and AS Time Goes By with Judi Dench. that and All Creatures as mentioned above are the best acted ones ever done. relaxing shows to watch.