Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: British television at the moment -- is great --

British television at the moment -- is great --

It is not often that I am excited about TV programmes - BUT - have just watched the 2nd instalment of the latest Dallas series - I love that programme and ---- Downton Abbey new series starts on Sunday !!

Can hardly wait for Downton Abbey -- what a great series!

The Paradise and Mr. Selfridges are both great shows as well.
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Blog Entries
    I haven't gotten back into the Dallas series but love Downton Abbey!!! I prefer British shows or European detective shows on International t.v.

Don't know if you can get a series that was on just recently called 'In the Club' funny, sad a bit of drama - excellent viewing

I love British detective show: Lovejoy, Frost, Inspector Morris, Lewis, Midsomer Murders, Pie in the Sky, Scott and Bailey, New Tricks, DC Banks, anything Agatha Christy. Doc Martin. I signed up for an online service called Acorn TV wbich has a lot of these. We cancelled cable because too expensive so watch alot of Netflix, youtube, and acorn Tv. I do miss news shows but listen to talk radio when in my sewing room.

If you like those series you might want to look out for two series, 1 is Shetland about the police in the Shetland Islands (small settled islands off shore in Scotland and the other is Vera about a murder detective working around Newcastle in Northern England. They are both in the Morse/Lewis type! Hope this helps. But no. I can't stand Downton Abbey or anything to do with. The writer is a complete #########.
    maker of the 'Oh Dear Jane' Quilt, or should I say trying to the the maker of it?

Blog Entries
    LOVE Vera! Haven't seen Shetland over here yet. Will definitely watch for it. Also enjoyed Bletchley Circle and the Midwives (Chummy is wonderful!)
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    Endeavour (Morse as a young detective) is excellent. Also enjoying George Gently. Both are showing up on Masterpiece Mystery. Case Histories is good too, as is Father Brown. Haven't seen Shetland or Vera yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
    The Paradise and Mr. Selfridges are both great shows as well.
    Is there going to be a return of The Paradise? My husband and I both really enjoyed that series.

Oops.... forgot to say, we also like Fr. Brown, and Endeavour. Never heard of the others though.... I'll be on the lookout.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahelloyd View Post
    The writer is a complete #########.
    Why is that? Do you know Julian Fellowes? I've read a lot about him and never read anything bad he has done or lived his life in a bad way.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Dotty D glad you liked Dallas. This second run of Dallas is OK, sort of tired of the backstabbing but the first series was much better. No one could play JR Ewing like Larry Hagman.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Funny! I saw this thread and got all excited but I haven't watched a single one of the shows you guys are talking about!

I'm hooked on Dr. Who, and also Sherlock. Both British and those are in my top 3 favorite shows. (1st is Game of Thrones, that show is *amazing* if you're into Fantasy fiction. Not at all appropriate for kids though; too much violence & nudity.)

I love Lovejoy, Midsomer Murders, Monarch of the Glen -
    Enjoy the day, Chickadee_42us

Love love the new Dallas also watched the old one it was grest

Sorry hit the wrong button it should have been great

Blog Entries
    I have been watching .....crimes of passion ,,,,,,,,swedish and set in the fifties , love the detective .....swoons

Blog Entries
    Recently spent some time in Canada and fell in love with Murdock Mysteries. I found the series on line but each series costs! Darn!

I love all these shows and Call the Midwives is a great show too. paradise is great!

Blog Entries
    I like Single-Handed, too.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Lately I have been watching a series filmed in Scotland, with Scottish actors, but produced for Starz, called "Outlander". Love it!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Love the new Dallas, but of course, miss JR. Also Downton Abbey and Mr. Selfridge. We also like the Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch (I call him Benedict Cumberbund!) Am going to look for Paradise but our DVR guide only goes two weeks out.
    Alyce

I bought Acorn streaming (like Netflix), just to watch British series. Love them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafpeaches View Post
    I love British detective show: Lovejoy, Frost, Inspector Morris, Lewis, Midsomer Murders, Pie in the Sky, Scott and Bailey, New Tricks, DC Banks, anything Agatha Christy. Doc Martin. I signed up for an online service called Acorn TV wbich has a lot of these. We cancelled cable because too expensive so watch alot of Netflix, youtube, and acorn Tv. I do miss news shows but listen to talk radio when in my sewing room.
    You have listed some of my favorites also.I am watching Midsomer Murders now. Loved Doc Martin and of course Agatha Christy.. And British comedies are so much better too. I have Netflix on my computer which is in my sewing room .I don't own a TV . Don't miss it one bit .. well maybe a little, CSI type shows I always liked. I will check out some of the others you mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast