Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Brother CS6000i Opinions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/brother-cs6000i-opinions-t190062.html)

Neesie 05-26-2012 10:33 AM

Brother CS6000i Opinions?

I'm planning to get a simple sewing machine, to teach my DD and DGD sewing. My old Kenmore keeps coughing at me and I'd just rather not teach, on my Janome (just in case! LOL). Have read many, many reviews and it seems most people love the Brother CS6000i . . . but then there are some reviews, which claim it's terrible. Knowing bad reviews are often posted, by people who don't really follow instructions, I'd like to know what people here think of it. Has anyone had one of these machines break or fall apart, prematurely?

Thanks for your opinion!

drgranny 05-26-2012 11:08 AM

Isn't this a machine that also does embrodery? If it is the one I think it is, I have about 10 friends who bought this machine last year. They all love it.

Neesie 05-26-2012 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by drgranny (Post 5244580)
Isn't this a machine that also does embrodery? If it is the one I think it is, I have about 10 friends who bought this machine last year. They all love it.

It has some built-in decorative stitches but I don't think this one is considered an embroidery machine.

Nanamoms 05-26-2012 01:06 PM

No this is not a combo machine. I just talked to my SM dealer about this very machine and was told that it is a great one for the price. There is also the cs6000T which I was told was the same machine. The 6000i isn't going be manufacture anymore but parts will be readily available because so many are interchangeable with all the Brothers. I ended up purchasing the 6000T because I could get a Refurbished one and save a lot of $$. Both my other Brother machines were refurbished and I've had very little problem with them in over 5 years.

I bought this machine for the exact purpose that you are consdiering. Although I have several vintage machines and let my granddaughter sew on my 15--91, I'm going to teach her how to use this one.

Good luck with your decision.

Neesie 05-26-2012 02:13 PM

Thanks, Nanamoms! That's just what I was hoping to hear/read! It sounds like the perfect machine, for general sewing . . . but negative reviews always worry me. I'm going to order it from WalMart, so that IF anything goes wrong with it, it can be easily returned.

I did some measuring and it sounds as if I can just use my Kenmore cabinet, for the Brother machine. The Kenmore is a tad larger, so there'll be a bit more "open" space . . . but I'll make it work! :thumbup:

Have to admit, I feel kinda sorry for the Kenmore, being booted out of its cabinet and put into storage. :(

bakermom 05-26-2012 05:35 PM

My DD has had one for several years. It is a nice little machine. she makes quilts on it and most recently a carry-on bag out of decorator fabric. It sewed several thicknesses easily.

Teacup 05-26-2012 06:08 PM

I've had one for about 4 years. It does a great job and is a offers a lot for the money. I've not had any problems with it, and it's easy to learn and use. For that price point I think it is a deal. Only thing better might be a nice vintage Singer but if you want the variety of stitches and an easy button holer this Brother is great.

Neesie 05-26-2012 06:49 PM

Thanks! Sounds like just what I need. Aside from teaching my DD and DGD to sew, I'll also be doing a bit of sewing, with a couple of 6 year old girls, this summer. I'm hoping my DD will be comfortable enough with the machine by then, to help with the younger ones. :)

MaryStoaks 05-26-2012 06:55 PM

I had one for several years and liked it so much that I bought one for my GD and my neice too. They are beginer sewers and I wanted to give them a machine that was easy to use. I gave mine to a dear friend when her machine died ( I really have too many good machines). They all love the machine and have had no problems with it.:thumbup:

Blackberry 05-27-2012 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5244520)
I'm planning to get a simple sewing machine, to teach my DD and DGD sewing. My old Kenmore keeps coughing at me and I'd just rather not teach, on my Janome (just in case! LOL). Have read many, many reviews and it seems most people love the Brother CS6000i . . . but then there are some reviews, which claim it's terrible. Knowing bad reviews are often posted, by people who don't really follow instructions, I'd like to know what people here think of it. Has anyone had one of these machines break or fall apart, prematurely?

Thanks for your opinion!

I have this machine and I really like mine. I am teaching my GD to sew on this machine. It has 3 different speeds which is helpful for beginners. I have an extension table that is also very helpful. I mostly use my for piecing but have used it to quilt on also. It is very light weight so that makes it easy to move around. I just bought the new 160th anniversary of the Singer and I have noticed that most of the feet and accessories are interchangeable with the Bother CS6000i and I really like that. I seem to have the best quilting when I use a size 11 needle. It made kind of a chunking noise when I put in a size 14 needle. It comes with a size 11. I really think you would be very pleased with the Brother CS6000i.