Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Brother CS6000i Opinions?

Brother CS6000i Opinions?

I'm planning to get a simple sewing machine, to teach my DD and DGD sewing. My old Kenmore keeps coughing at me and I'd just rather not teach, on my Janome (just in case! LOL). Have read many, many reviews and it seems most people love the Brother CS6000i . . . but then there are some reviews, which claim it's terrible. Knowing bad reviews are often posted, by people who don't really follow instructions, I'd like to know what people here think of it. Has anyone had one of these machines break or fall apart, prematurely?

Thanks for your opinion!

Blog Entries
    Isn't this a machine that also does embrodery? If it is the one I think it is, I have about 10 friends who bought this machine last year. They all love it.

Quote Originally Posted by drgranny View Post
    Isn't this a machine that also does embrodery? If it is the one I think it is, I have about 10 friends who bought this machine last year. They all love it.
    It has some built-in decorative stitches but I don't think this one is considered an embroidery machine.

Blog Entries
    No this is not a combo machine. I just talked to my SM dealer about this very machine and was told that it is a great one for the price. There is also the cs6000T which I was told was the same machine. The 6000i isn't going be manufacture anymore but parts will be readily available because so many are interchangeable with all the Brothers. I ended up purchasing the 6000T because I could get a Refurbished one and save a lot of $$. Both my other Brother machines were refurbished and I've had very little problem with them in over 5 years.

I bought this machine for the exact purpose that you are consdiering. Although I have several vintage machines and let my granddaughter sew on my 15--91, I'm going to teach her how to use this one.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks, Nanamoms! That's just what I was hoping to hear/read! It sounds like the perfect machine, for general sewing . . . but negative reviews always worry me. I'm going to order it from WalMart, so that IF anything goes wrong with it, it can be easily returned.

I did some measuring and it sounds as if I can just use my Kenmore cabinet, for the Brother machine. The Kenmore is a tad larger, so there'll be a bit more "open" space . . . but I'll make it work!

Have to admit, I feel kinda sorry for the Kenmore, being booted out of its cabinet and put into storage.

My DD has had one for several years. It is a nice little machine. she makes quilts on it and most recently a carry-on bag out of decorator fabric. It sewed several thicknesses easily.

I've had one for about 4 years. It does a great job and is a offers a lot for the money. I've not had any problems with it, and it's easy to learn and use. For that price point I think it is a deal. Only thing better might be a nice vintage Singer but if you want the variety of stitches and an easy button holer this Brother is great.

Thanks! Sounds like just what I need. Aside from teaching my DD and DGD to sew, I'll also be doing a bit of sewing, with a couple of 6 year old girls, this summer. I'm hoping my DD will be comfortable enough with the machine by then, to help with the younger ones.

I had one for several years and liked it so much that I bought one for my GD and my neice too. They are beginer sewers and I wanted to give them a machine that was easy to use. I gave mine to a dear friend when her machine died ( I really have too many good machines). They all love the machine and have had no problems with it.
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    I'm planning to get a simple sewing machine, to teach my DD and DGD sewing. My old Kenmore keeps coughing at me and I'd just rather not teach, on my Janome (just in case! LOL). Have read many, many reviews and it seems most people love the Brother CS6000i . . . but then there are some reviews, which claim it's terrible. Knowing bad reviews are often posted, by people who don't really follow instructions, I'd like to know what people here think of it. Has anyone had one of these machines break or fall apart, prematurely?

Thanks for your opinion!

I have this machine and I really like mine. I am teaching my GD to sew on this machine. It has 3 different speeds which is helpful for beginners. I have an extension table that is also very helpful. I mostly use my for piecing but have used it to quilt on also. It is very light weight so that makes it easy to move around. I just bought the new 160th anniversary of the Singer and I have noticed that most of the feet and accessories are interchangeable with the Bother CS6000i and I really like that. I seem to have the best quilting when I use a size 11 needle. It made kind of a chunking noise when I put in a size 14 needle. It comes with a size 11. I really think you would be very pleased with the Brother CS6000i.

Blog Entries
    i have this machine and really like it for the money. i found that the 1/4" foot mark is a tad off, so i changed my spot on the foot to just before the mark. it's easy to keep my eye there because the light shines on it.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

If you should decide to buy the 6000i Please dont get it at WalMart. I bought mine there and after 2 years it needed almost $150 in repairs and would continue to do the same. I went to a Brother dealer and bought another machine that all the old Brother feet fit. The new one cost the same on sale. I love it and am glad I didn't give up on Brother. It is a 6000i also but dealer said the WM one was mass produced and not as well made.
    Last edited by Kathy Osterby; 05-27-2012 at 08:08 AM.
    Kathy Osterby

I've heard this machine described as "disposable", which means when it needs repair the cost of repair will be more than it cost originally.

Did that dealer give you a lengthy warrantee on the machine? I am doubtful about his claims. All sewing machines are mass produced, and I can't believe his 6000 is any different from Walmart's. How did the cost compare? Most dealers refuse to carry any machines that Walmart does. I know that the 6000 is a very popular machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Osterby View Post
    If you should decide to buy the 6000i Please dont get it at WalMart. I bought mine there and after 2 years it needed almost $150 in repairs and would continue to do the same. I went to a Brother dealer and bought another machine that all the old Brother feet fit. The new one cost the same on sale. I love it and am glad I didn't give up on Brother. It is a 6000i also but dealer said the WM one was mass produced and not as well made.

Blog Entries
    I've had this machine for a few years, it's a great little machine. I also have the Brother Embroidery machine, I also piece on it. Both are great machines. It's always good to have a spare....
    Jeananne

I bought a Brother CS6000i, four years ago, from Walmart. I made nearly 100 denim quilts (for Operation Quiet Comfort for our wounded soldiers). Finally, the machine started to skip stitches and generally not work correctly. I took it to a local Sewing Dealer who said he "wouldn't touch it". I looked for a Brother Dealer who looked it over and said Service starts at $129.00 (The machine cost me $179. Remember that I would still have a 4 year old machine even after the service was performed.) I bought another CS6000i. A few month later, I inherited a SInger. I took it for service to a Singer Service center, who also services many other types of machines. I mentioned the Brother machine to them and they said "Bring it in. The estimate is free." Back to the Singer Service Center and for $89. my Brother CS6000i is running beautifully! It must have only needed adjustment, since I was not charged for any replacement parts.

For the price, I agree that it is one super machine! Lightweight, easy to use, versatile. I sew Historic Reproduction clothing for myself, in addition to quilts, so the machine handles lightweight as well as heavyweight fabrics easily. If you encounter a sewing problem, don't panic, just rethread it. Remember to change the needle, sized to the fabric you are using, and to clean out the bobbin area frequently. I think you'll enjoy this machine as much as I do.

Blog Entries
    I have had mine for 3 years with no problems. It is a great machine, but it has two things that I don't like. First of all, when you turn the machine off, the needle defaults to the left. This is not a problem if you have a zig-zag type foot on, but if you have a straight stitch foot on, and forget to set the needle to center, the needle hits and breaks. So far, it hasn't thrown mine out of time and I have broken probably 5 or 6 needles that way. This model cannot override the factory set default, but I think the "next step up" in the Brother line it can be.
    Second, the blanket stitch is not straightforward. Instead of going two stitches forward, then to the side this machine does a a crazy stitch, something like forward back, forward, side, forward, back. Makes corners almost impossible to do!
    Other than that, it is a great machine, good stitch, easy to transport, comes with an ext. table, mine even came with a walking foot!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Don't get me wrong -I love my Brother 6000i and I meant that the dealer said the ones for WM were made with less durability than the ones sold by dealers. I had very good results from the WM one and that is why I went back for another from a dealer. I love the ease it sews and all the "fancy" stitches. I bought the WM originally for making doll clothes etc. I also agree that turning it off needs to make sure needle is in center.
    Kathy Osterby

Blog Entries
    I bought this machine a year and a half ago online from Wal Mart and it's still running strong. The only issue I have with it is the opening under the harp is very small for working on large quilts. It's doable but not the best. Otherwise I absolutely love this machine. I have used it for all types of sewing from piecing to quilting, making woolen mittens and even making the thick clothesline bowls. It is very easy to take to classes and retreats. My grandson learnedly to sew on it last Christmas making hats and pillowcases. You won't be unhappy with this machine. Your grandkids are lucky to have you in their lives!

Blog Entries
    I have had it for over 5 years and LOVE it ! It does everything I ask of it and never complains Very easy to use and accessories are easy to come by. I have made many quilts on it, from piecing to the actual quilting , made clothes on it and have taught my niece to sew on it - I think you will love it
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I have this Sewing Machine,and another Brother machine and I love them Both.

I really like my CS6000i and have made several quilts with it. I bought mine from Amazon - best price I found and it came the next day even though I didn't pay for 'next-day' shipping. The machine is easy to use, and doesn't have complicated features. I did have a problem with it making a funny noise after I had completed FMQ a huge quilt, and I thought I had worn it out! I took it to a local Brother service place, and since I still had the receipt and it was less than a year old they fixed it for NO CHARGE. They told me it was the timing that had gotten 'off'. It has been working great ever since.
    My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate.

My BIL girlfriend has had hers for 1 1/2 years and loves hers, hasn't had any problems with it. I have the SQ9050 and love my model as well has a lot of similar features to the cs6000i. They are good deals for the price

Blog Entries
    I teach sewing in my home, and I bought the CS6000i for the purpose of teaching my students to use a delightful machine with a number of decorative stitches. Most of my students are adults. I love this machine for buttonholes. It makes them easier and better than my main Pfaff 7570 does, so I nearly always now go to it for buttonholes. I have had it a year now, and got it as a refurbished one for $125, and feel it was a good buy.

Many, many thanks, to everyone who responded with help and info! I've been reading everyone's responses, as well as doing more research. Looked at the lower-end Janomes, as well . . . and gained a LOT of respect and admiration, for my old Kenmore! I think I'm gonna take a chance and order the Brother CS6000i, from WalMart. IF I get a dud, I can return it to WM. Sounds as if most people love it and are having no trouble with it . . . and I just can't see paying twice that much or more, for a machine that does so much less than my old Kenmore.

Thanks, everyone!!!