Brother CS6000i Opinions?

Old 05-27-2012, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

i have this machine and really like it for the money. i found that the 1/4" foot mark is a tad off, so i changed my spot on the foot to just before the mark. it's easy to keep my eye there because the light shines on it.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:04 AM

If you should decide to buy the 6000i Please dont get it at WalMart. I bought mine there and after 2 years it needed almost $150 in repairs and would continue to do the same. I went to a Brother dealer and bought another machine that all the old Brother feet fit. The new one cost the same on sale. I love it and am glad I didn't give up on Brother. It is a 6000i also but dealer said the WM one was mass produced and not as well made.

Last edited by Kathy Osterby; 05-27-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:30 AM

I've heard this machine described as "disposable", which means when it needs repair the cost of repair will be more than it cost originally.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:35 AM

Did that dealer give you a lengthy warrantee on the machine? I am doubtful about his claims. All sewing machines are mass produced, and I can't believe his 6000 is any different from Walmart's. How did the cost compare? Most dealers refuse to carry any machines that Walmart does. I know that the 6000 is a very popular machine.

Originally Posted by Kathy Osterby View Post
If you should decide to buy the 6000i Please dont get it at WalMart. I bought mine there and after 2 years it needed almost $150 in repairs and would continue to do the same. I went to a Brother dealer and bought another machine that all the old Brother feet fit. The new one cost the same on sale. I love it and am glad I didn't give up on Brother. It is a 6000i also but dealer said the WM one was mass produced and not as well made.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:54 AM

I've had this machine for a few years, it's a great little machine. I also have the Brother Embroidery machine, I also piece on it. Both are great machines. It's always good to have a spare....
Old 05-28-2012, 05:35 AM

I bought a Brother CS6000i, four years ago, from Walmart. I made nearly 100 denim quilts (for Operation Quiet Comfort for our wounded soldiers). Finally, the machine started to skip stitches and generally not work correctly. I took it to a local Sewing Dealer who said he "wouldn't touch it". I looked for a Brother Dealer who looked it over and said Service starts at $129.00 (The machine cost me $179. Remember that I would still have a 4 year old machine even after the service was performed.) I bought another CS6000i. A few month later, I inherited a SInger. I took it for service to a Singer Service center, who also services many other types of machines. I mentioned the Brother machine to them and they said "Bring it in. The estimate is free." Back to the Singer Service Center and for $89. my Brother CS6000i is running beautifully! It must have only needed adjustment, since I was not charged for any replacement parts.

For the price, I agree that it is one super machine! Lightweight, easy to use, versatile. I sew Historic Reproduction clothing for myself, in addition to quilts, so the machine handles lightweight as well as heavyweight fabrics easily. If you encounter a sewing problem, don't panic, just rethread it. Remember to change the needle, sized to the fabric you are using, and to clean out the bobbin area frequently. I think you'll enjoy this machine as much as I do.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:19 AM

I have had mine for 3 years with no problems. It is a great machine, but it has two things that I don't like. First of all, when you turn the machine off, the needle defaults to the left. This is not a problem if you have a zig-zag type foot on, but if you have a straight stitch foot on, and forget to set the needle to center, the needle hits and breaks. So far, it hasn't thrown mine out of time and I have broken probably 5 or 6 needles that way. This model cannot override the factory set default, but I think the "next step up" in the Brother line it can be.
Second, the blanket stitch is not straightforward. Instead of going two stitches forward, then to the side this machine does a a crazy stitch, something like forward back, forward, side, forward, back. Makes corners almost impossible to do!
Other than that, it is a great machine, good stitch, easy to transport, comes with an ext. table, mine even came with a walking foot!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:48 AM

Don't get me wrong -I love my Brother 6000i and I meant that the dealer said the ones for WM were made with less durability than the ones sold by dealers. I had very good results from the WM one and that is why I went back for another from a dealer. I love the ease it sews and all the "fancy" stitches. I bought the WM originally for making doll clothes etc. I also agree that turning it off needs to make sure needle is in center.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:13 AM

I bought this machine a year and a half ago online from Wal Mart and it's still running strong. The only issue I have with it is the opening under the harp is very small for working on large quilts. It's doable but not the best. Otherwise I absolutely love this machine. I have used it for all types of sewing from piecing to quilting, making woolen mittens and even making the thick clothesline bowls. It is very easy to take to classes and retreats. My grandson learnedly to sew on it last Christmas making hats and pillowcases. You won't be unhappy with this machine. Your grandkids are lucky to have you in their lives!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

I have had it for over 5 years and LOVE it ! It does everything I ask of it and never complains Very easy to use and accessories are easy to come by. I have made many quilts on it, from piecing to the actual quilting , made clothes on it and have taught my niece to sew on it - I think you will love it