Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Building ____________ with DH (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/building-____________-dh-t160868.html)

nance-ell 10-16-2011 01:43 PM

My DH isn't a handyman, so I can't "help" him build something tangible, but together we build a home, a life, a happy marriage. I couldn't do it without him! :-)

athomenow 10-16-2011 01:55 PM

I called DH down to my room today for a consultation on how to make it a better sewing area. He looked around and told me he'd put some design together. He's pretty good about helping me when I ask and vice versa. We make a good team.

KarenR 10-16-2011 01:57 PM

MY DH and me don't work well together. Many years ago I decided it was not worth the bad feelings working together - NOW he gets someone else to help him.

LoriEl 10-16-2011 02:01 PM

Not my DH but my DBF and I have been together over 10 yrs and that's longer than BOTH of our marriages were! Anyway, we make ravioli together. This summer I even helped him plant his garden and now I help him eat it! He helps me when I need help folding or laying out a quilt or want an opinion on a color or fabric.

Mitch's mom 10-16-2011 02:23 PM

My DH is self-employed as a carpenter. If I have to help him with something {{{{shiver}}}} I know he is going to complain about what I'm doing and I am going to tell him he isn't paying me 20.00 an hour like he pays his guys and he is getting what he paid for. We don't work well together. At. All.

niizh 10-16-2011 02:36 PM

My ex felt I should always help him with every thing. Which I did for several years. His comments was "You need to know how to do this, in case something happens to me." He would say, I'm getting hungry, fix us something to eat. Which I did. Then, when i was cleaning up, he would say, leave that, I'll help when we get finished with whatever project we were working on. He never did. However, after about twenty years, I decided he had taught me enough, I left him. Could work on car, build storage building, repair lawnmowers, and so on.

Honeynga 10-16-2011 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
As a farm wife I did more work with my DH than I care to really think about. He's a good man but got terribly bossy when we worked together. Some days I'd just walk away and go in the house, lol! Boy, that did more to put him in his place than anything else I could have done in the heat of the moment. I could always get more done and do it faster when my daughter and I did the work on our own. I think women are just better planners and tend to think things through better before they start a project. My daughter and I even tended to be able to read each others minds when things went astray with out actually speaking to each other. If things went astray while working with DH he'd blow a gasket if I tried to think for myself. Ha Ha! Men and women just don't think the same or take the same approach to things. Just so you know my DH is otherwise the calmest, kindest sort of man and so enjoyable to be around.

My DH never wanted me to help with anything which was fine. I have a friend who is a pastor's wife and he was building an outdoor shed/greenhouse and had problems...called his wife out to read directions since she knew how to sew and read directions !!!! Nuff said !

jljack 10-16-2011 02:40 PM

My DH and I did a lot of projects on our house when we first bought it...9 years ago. Since then we haven't done major projects, just maintenance stuff.

I learned early on that it's best for me to let him work alone until he ASKS me to help...otherwise, I just feel in the way!! :-)

Pat P 10-16-2011 02:53 PM

My Famer DH always wanted me to read his mind while sorting hogs. Farmers and their wives probably spend more working hours toghether than any couple I know. We done everything from hanging wallpaper, neutering hogs to shoveling manure..Makes for interesting times.

COYOTEMAGIC 10-16-2011 02:54 PM

I will never attempt to build anything with my husband ever again.

I like being married to him too much!!