Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Building ____________ with DH (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/building-____________-dh-t160868.html)

quilt1950 10-16-2011 02:59 PM

We've helped each other with many projects. My only complaint - he thinks I should stop everything and come help the instant he asks for it. However, if I ask for help, it's always "just a minute". (And that minute can be a l.o.n.g. time.

Kitsie 10-16-2011 03:09 PM

Seeing as I live alone and have my hens, I saved a lot of money, time and energy not having to argue with anyone by buying covered kitty litter boxes and mounting them on shelves in the hen house! They're happy, I'm happy!

carolynbb 10-16-2011 03:18 PM

I've helped him do all kinds of household and auto repair. I usually do not do anything to HIS satisfaction so he only asks for help when it absolutly requires two people! That's fine with me. Likewise, I try to do things myself b/c he changes my game-plan if I ask him for help! (We have been married 28 years.)

lalaland 10-16-2011 03:28 PM

My DH and I are like gasoline and a lighted match if we try to do something together, so we keep out of each other's way. I can help him carry something heavy, and he helps me load tables and boxes in the back of the truck when I'm doing a sale, but as far as working on a project together - forget it! It works for us, we've been married nearly 35 years!

Treasureit 10-16-2011 03:30 PM

I help my husband by staying out of his way until he asks for help...We are SO opposite of opinion that after 36 years - we dance well together by respecting some of these kinds of things. :!: :-)

Treasureit 10-16-2011 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
My DH and I are like gasoline and a lighted match if we try to do something together, so we keep out of each other's way. I can help him carry something heavy, and he helps me load tables and boxes in the back of the truck when I'm doing a sale, but as far as working on a project together - forget it! It works for us, we've been married nearly 35 years!

I read your post after I posted mine...funny I think we are alike. 30+ years makes a difference!

Barb44 10-16-2011 04:10 PM

We've been married 49 years and we have learned to work together. But only one is the supervisor. He helps me with my projects but has to do it my way. I help him with his projects and do it his way. We don't do things the same but I often take his advice and he sometimes takes mine. My dad and DGF were carpenters so I grew up swinging a hammer. The only thing DH did with a hammer was hit a stubborn bolt on a piece of machinery. He was a great mechanic but not a builder. He has learned a lot and is pretty good help now.

ptquilts 10-16-2011 04:50 PM

we have built two houses together. First one - big, 9 room colonial, second one - 4 room ranch. He was a builder in earlier times. I am amazed at what he can do, and he is the kind of person who wants to get things done. There are several houses in town, newer than ours, that are still not finished.

susie0808 10-16-2011 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by hensandhollyhocks
My DH and I have also built nestboxes, but this last week and weekend, and next week.....we are putting on a roof! He is one of those who thinks we should do EVERYTHING ourselves! The wonderful problem is that our house is fairly large. We bought it in a foreclosure for the property more than the house.

Oh yes, I have also helped plumb, build fence, repair the car, and my least favorite, besides roofing was putting in the ductwork for central heat/air. Gotta love em!

Me too!!! I enjoyed roofing!!!We have saved alot of money doing ourselves!

3incollege 10-16-2011 05:57 PM

We built our house. I help him alot even if it;s holding a ladder for him.