Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   BUT it is not a Vera...grrrrrrr (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/but-not-vera-grrrrrrr-t217714.html)

nancyw 03-31-2013 06:46 AM

You have to make 7 changes to the way you put it together or the design. I could take a picture of it but my card doesn't fit in my computer.

solstice3 03-31-2013 10:45 AM

Vera B's are pretty. I won't spend the $$ again as I had a zipper break on a purse less than 3 months old and while I was told they would "take care of it," the shop wouldn't as it had to go through the company... call the company and they will take it from there. WELL, never could get through to a live person in spite of sitting on hold onseveral occasions for over an hour. Lesson learned!!! Homemade IS best!!!!!

Caswews 03-31-2013 11:20 AM

LOL now I know why the DD wants me to make her a bag and a quilted bag.. LOL So she will have a one of a kind bag!LOL

alwayslearning 03-31-2013 11:36 AM

fMy sister has both. She has a Vera and she has one I made. She shared a flaw in the Vera's that mine do not have.
When you put the bottom in (no matter what you make it out of: cardboard, foam board, etc.), round the corners. Otherwise, the corners eventually push through the fabric looking kind of shabby.

OHSue 03-31-2013 12:53 PM

Reminds me of a woman I work with. I am a handknitter and I make my own socks. One woman I work with likes to buy novelty socks. So one day I am talking to a patient who was admiring my socks and marveling that anyone still knitted socks (I work with elderly) and this woman jumps into the conversation to say, "but look at my cute socks, they have pictures on them'. Yes, you and every other person that bought them are very special one of a kind people.

quiltwiz 03-31-2013 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by BMP (Post 5965661)
I am working on 2 professional totes right now, one for me and one for DIL for a diaper bag, they sure are nice !!!

I made one Professional Tote for myself. I love it , but would like to have it just a couple of inches smaller...more like a purse. Have you ever tried to reduce the size of this pattern? I love it because it has a place for everything.

BellaBoo 04-01-2013 10:55 AM

There is not sewing plant in the US anymore is there? I know a lot of high end items are being manufactured in Mexico now.

ptquilts 04-01-2013 01:18 PM

I was in the lobby of a hotel recently and was wondering at (and admiring!) all the large print fabric duffel bags that young people seemed to be carrying. Now I know!!

I am old enough to remember when Pierre Deux bags were the status symbol to carry, back in the early 80's. We made a connection with the manager of one of their stores and got their scraps to make quilts with - gorgeous fabric, at the time it was up to $27 a yard!! And you couldn't wash it. Then the upper management decided American quilts and French Provincial fabric were not a good mix, so that ended that.

Geri B 04-04-2013 05:49 AM

I have a VB purse, given to me by daughter who is a "label" shopper. This gift purse has been my "summer" purse for these 5-6yrs now...and does wash well. At the time when she said it was a Vera I had no idea what she was talking about...but since then have learned! I doubt if I will buy another when this one wears out...but I am not a purse/tote sewer so I may. The prices of these "designer" purses seem to be a status guide......I do look at resale shops to see what I might find there..."label" shopper daughter has made mention of a few of my finds!

Zappycat 04-05-2013 01:51 PM

I know what VB bags are...my daughter loves them and bought me one for Mother's Day last year, which I love and use (although I have always felt that I could pick out prettier fabrics in the quilt shops!) .... but what is this "professional tote" that you gals mention? Thanks!