Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Call about Windows (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/call-about-windows-t252602.html)

tesspug 08-28-2014 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by onemoe (Post 6863319)
we don't answer the phone if caller ID shows caller unkown.

Same here. I have a phone that announcers the caller, if I don't know them I don't answer.

mrs. fitz 08-28-2014 09:39 AM

We've had several calls from "Windows" and caller ID doesn't help because they've all come early in the morning. Last two times I told the caller (once a woman, other times men, all with accents) I was taping the call and would report them as fraud, also said DO NOT CALL ME AGAIN! To my great surprise, they haven't.

Carol34446 08-28-2014 10:03 AM

I have had this several times and hang up after they tell me what they want. And sometimes I don't even answer if I notice the no caller ID.

IBQUILTIN 08-28-2014 10:22 AM

I have learned to let all "unknown caller" calls go to the answering machine, its easier to monitor that way

jjsnacks 08-28-2014 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by MarleneC (Post 6863037)
This evening I received a call from someone I couldn't understand and he said he was from Windows and someone was trying to hack my computer from the internet. Caller ID didn't give a phone number--only an Unknown Caller and Private Number. Has anyone else had a call like this. I hung up and the guy called again--and again said he was from Windows, etc. I told him I would call the company that I bought my computer from and hung up. I believe this is a scam but hadn't heard anything about this from anyone else.:mad:

We get quite a few of them callers in the UK ... what they hope is that you allow them to remotely acces your pc ... once they have access they can then access your passswords etc ... alot of people do internet banking ... so if they have remote access your bank account is at risk well any personel details. Best to hang up, unfortunately there are people who are vunerable and get taken to the cleaners ...jj

mojo11 08-28-2014 12:15 PM

I let my answering machine get my calls. If someone wants to talk, they holler at me to pick up the phone. Anyone one I want to talk with has my cell number. I don't answer it if I don't recognize the number.

tessagin 08-28-2014 12:26 PM

I either let it go to voicemail or hit ignore. Which takes them to my voicemail. My cousin has a voicemail that says" If your number showed up restricted or unknown and you don't leave a message then tough sh**, Sherlock!" I think it'sfunny!

Originally Posted by onemoe (Post 6863319)
we don't answer the phone if caller ID shows caller unkown.

solstice3 08-28-2014 01:24 PM

I had a call from "Windows".... My computer was sending out damaging ( or something like that) data... I stopped them there and said "I have an Ipad". They hung up. I do have a windows machine but it hasn't been on for a month. I do primarily use Ipad

Stitchnripper 08-28-2014 02:26 PM

A scam. I had that call and I let him go on and I finally said "that's odd because I have a Mac". Quick hang up on his part!!

brendaj8689 08-28-2014 05:10 PM

My friend has been getting this call. Says his name is 'Parker', foreign accent. They call the phone company and reported it so they didn't get charges. IT IS A SCAM. She will be reporting it to the attorney general.
brenda