Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Call about Windows

Call about Windows

This evening I received a call from someone I couldn't understand and he said he was from Windows and someone was trying to hack my computer from the internet. Caller ID didn't give a phone number--only an Unknown Caller and Private Number. Has anyone else had a call like this. I hung up and the guy called again--and again said he was from Windows, etc. I told him I would call the company that I bought my computer from and hung up. I believe this is a scam but hadn't heard anything about this from anyone else.

This is more than a scam; they are trying to steal anything they can from you. Good rule of thumb, if you didn't start the conversation, hang up.
    June

I agree....keep hanging up on this person. Trust me, no computer manufacturer or seller is going to be calling individuals to tell them someone is hacking into their personal computer.

No one is trying to be "nice". Scammers!
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I received the call too.
    I told him I would phone windows too and hung up.
    Have a nice day and a safe one too!

Our calls started 2 years ago and they keep coming. Not sure what they are after, but I just hang up. (Sometimes leave the phone open and tell them I'm going to turn on the computer.) SCAM!

I have repeatedly received these calls. Like you my caller ID did not show the caller name but it did show the phone number. I reported the number to the FCC. These people are relentless;they were even calling me in the middle of the night (clue that this call was being routed through the US but actually from India)
    Carmen E.

I used to get these calls. they have been doing this for years now....the last one I said, you are a liar and a thief. No more calls. My Mom told them she doesn't have a computer, so how could they monitor anything, that makes you a criminal...they hung up.

Blog Entries
    I've had them here in Australia too. Told them I knew they were scammers then hung up. Next time I let them go through their speil then said " well I don't see how that's possible as I don't have a computer". They hung up and I haven't heard from them again.

Blog Entries
    we don't answer the phone if caller ID shows caller unkown.

Ugh! Good for you for not falling for it!! My mom is way too trusting and falls for this stuff constantly. She's had her identity stolen more times than anybody I've ever heard of. It makes me so angry that these people take advantage of her and people like her!!

Blog Entries
    yep, they won't call you. Only scam "artists" do that. hang up.

When I answer the phone, say hello, and hear the phone on the other end ringing, I used to hang up. Then I started waiting until the person on the other end answered. Then I let him talk and I said nothing. (Of course he had a definite foreign accent.) He couldn't understand why no one was saying anything. I just listened until he hung up. He called one more time, and with the same treatment, he doesn't call again.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    They called my neighbor and she gave them access to her computer!!! They told her they would help her "fix" errors they had discovered but first wanted her to purchase a Visa card to pay them upfront. She immediately called me realizing something didn't sound right and I advised her to contact her bank immediately. When she called her bank she was told someone had just tried unsuccessfully to access her account! The same people have been calling all over our neighborhood but no one else has fallen for their spiel.

Did he have an Indian accent? They called me about a year ago with the same thing and I argued with them for a couple of hours, then finally allowed them to hook into my PC (yes I know very stupid). I even paid them a couple years worth of virus protection (yes, another stupid move) but I made them put up with me for over 6 hours on the phone. They continued to call me off and on but I'm now onto them and just hang up. Just got a call from them the other day so guess they're back at it again. One phone call last year they claimed to be an investigator working on these scams artists and could he come talk to me. I told him yes and then told one of my Elders at the Hall about it. They kept driving by the house all afternoon waiting to see if a strange car was in my drive way. The guy never showed up. I was hoping to get him here and then call the cops.

I just took my PC to my computer guy and he's cleaned all spyware off my PC so if they did install anything, its been removed.........hopefully. I still kick myself for being so stupid and even paying him money. Call it a "senior moment" though that's no excuse.

And yes, they have it rigged when they call you so you can't get the phone number they're calling from. I've even had my own phone number show up on the Caller I.D. but they miss spelled my name........DUH!!!!
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I've had those calls, can hardly understand what they are saying because the caller is evidently from another country. I tell them to remove my number from their caller list and never to call back.

Keep a whistle by your phone -- when you get one of these calls just blow the whistle into the mouth piece -- they will quit calling!

Blog Entries
    I always ask them if their mother would approve of their dishonesty,before I hang up.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Quote Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
    I've had them here in Australia too. Told them I knew they were scammers then hung up. Next time I let them go through their speil then said " well I don't see how that's possible as I don't have a computer". They hung up and I haven't heard from them again.
    What great thinking katesnanna ! I haven't received a call because I recently moved with an unlisted number. We all have to be so careful with who we tell what.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

We've gotten this call more than once. I just hang up but it would be nice if they didn't annoy us at all. I have this phone number on the do-no-call list which I recently verified and yet they come.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Quote Originally Posted by onemoe View Post
    we don't answer the phone if caller ID shows caller unkown.
    Same here. I have a phone that announcers the caller, if I don't know them I don't answer.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

We've had several calls from "Windows" and caller ID doesn't help because they've all come early in the morning. Last two times I told the caller (once a woman, other times men, all with accents) I was taping the call and would report them as fraud, also said DO NOT CALL ME AGAIN! To my great surprise, they haven't.

I have had this several times and hang up after they tell me what they want. And sometimes I don't even answer if I notice the no caller ID.

I have learned to let all "unknown caller" calls go to the answering machine, its easier to monitor that way

Quote Originally Posted by MarleneC View Post
    This evening I received a call from someone I couldn't understand and he said he was from Windows and someone was trying to hack my computer from the internet. Caller ID didn't give a phone number--only an Unknown Caller and Private Number. Has anyone else had a call like this. I hung up and the guy called again--and again said he was from Windows, etc. I told him I would call the company that I bought my computer from and hung up. I believe this is a scam but hadn't heard anything about this from anyone else.
    We get quite a few of them callers in the UK ... what they hope is that you allow them to remotely acces your pc ... once they have access they can then access your passswords etc ... alot of people do internet banking ... so if they have remote access your bank account is at risk well any personel details. Best to hang up, unfortunately there are people who are vunerable and get taken to the cleaners ...jj

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast