Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Call about Windows

I let my answering machine get my calls. If someone wants to talk, they holler at me to pick up the phone. Anyone one I want to talk with has my cell number. I don't answer it if I don't recognize the number.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I either let it go to voicemail or hit ignore. Which takes them to my voicemail. My cousin has a voicemail that says" If your number showed up restricted or unknown and you don't leave a message then tough sh**, Sherlock!" I think it'sfunny!
    Quote Originally Posted by onemoe View Post
    we don't answer the phone if caller ID shows caller unkown.

I had a call from "Windows".... My computer was sending out damaging ( or something like that) data... I stopped them there and said "I have an Ipad". They hung up. I do have a windows machine but it hasn't been on for a month. I do primarily use Ipad

A scam. I had that call and I let him go on and I finally said "that's odd because I have a Mac". Quick hang up on his part!!
    Alyce

My friend has been getting this call. Says his name is 'Parker', foreign accent. They call the phone company and reported it so they didn't get charges. IT IS A SCAM. She will be reporting it to the attorney general.
    brenda

I just tell them that I don't have a computer...then I start ranting about how evil the internet is...they never call back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I've gotten this call. I knew what it was right away and just said no thanks and hung up.

Blog Entries
    I've had similiar in UK. I told them I didn't own a computer not had one for a few weeks since. I don't think they will go away completely. I also get calls where no one speaks. I do 2 hello then goodbye, and put down
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I got a call saying I had won a contest and I hung up, the guy with a very heavy accent called daily for weeks. I other day I got the call about windows being hacked, I am positive it was the same guy, because when I said aren't you the guy who called me about a prize he hung up on me!

I get these calls a couple of times a month - sometimes they say "Utah" on the caller ID. It always sounds like the same guy. Last time i went along saying "really" - "Oh My !!" - "Absolutely".....and he hung up??? Go figure. Yeah...and i tried the "i don't have a computer" long time ago. Maybe i'll try the fake police detective at a murder scene next !!!

What REALLY bothers me is it's not like there's not enough garbage that happens in the world "naturally" - you have to have people out there making it on purpose !!!!
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Oh, I did hang up--when the ID doesn't show who is calling I quick find out who they are and hang up. A friend suggested I tell them I don't have a computer. Have to remember that next time but hopefully they won't call me again. I have heard others saying they have gotten the same call. The other one is when a Spanish speaking person calls to say hi grandma this is your grandson--so and so--another scam wanting money or maybe sponsorship of an illegal.

Yep, a very heavy accent--thankfully haven't gotten a call about a prize. It's bad enough when there are so many political surveys, etc being called about now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecelia363 View Post
    I got a call saying I had won a contest and I hung up, the guy with a very heavy accent called daily for weeks. I other day I got the call about windows being hacked, I am positive it was the same guy, because when I said aren't you the guy who called me about a prize he hung up on me!

Yes, a heavy Indian accent--almost to the point of Spanish/Mexican sounding. Couldn't understand and told him I'd run Malwarebytes. I told him I couldn't understand him and hung up. He called again right away and I told him I'd call the company I bought the computer from. Many times I answer -- say hello -- no one there and I hang up. I just get tired of hearing the phone ring. I checked the call log to see if there was a phone number to report to the phone company but there wasn't one.

Absolutely, it's a scam! I've received those calls, called Office Max, and was told they don't get those scams by phone. By this time, i knew it was a scam. He would probably have told you what to do so that he can hack into your computer.

Was receiving the same type of calls but from two different people. I engaged them in talk about what type of windows I should have installed, bay window or bow window. Then the caller explained he was talking about computer windows. Says I...Sonny I know nothing about computer windows. No more calls.

I received this call several times. The first time, I fell for it for a short while. After several minutes, told him that I didn't believe him and hung up. They are trying to access your online banking info ( i found this out when I took the computer in to get it checked after we were online together for a while). Thank goodness I hung up and didn't fall for his line.

definitely a scam

I got that call a few months ago. I knew immediately and I literally yelled back at him, "My computer isn't even on, and you are a fraud and a thief, and DO NOT EVER call me back again because I know better." He never called back!

I'd gotten these calls starting about 2 years ago, havent had one in a while. Told me something was wrong with my Windows registry, I have a mac, which doesnt have a registry. I just let them prattle on for a bit and then told him about the mac only for them to still go on about Windows .. whatever lol

Last phone call though was for some survey by the same sort of mob. He actually started shouting at me when I told him I wasnt interested in participating, he then had the cheek to tell me that the phone call was being recorded and that *I* was being rude, I certainly was after he said that and I wont tell you where I told him to go!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2