Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Calling all "ladies of a certain age" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/calling-all-%22ladies-certain-age%22-t138358.html)

madamekelly 07-18-2011 11:56 PM

I started taking Estroven when this happened to me. I actually take the generic form from Walmart. My sister told me about it. She uses the regular, and I use the extra strength. Works like HRT without potential side effects or cancer risk. NO more sweating. I can really tell the difference when I forget also.

snicktrain 07-19-2011 12:53 AM

PLEASE be very careful with HRT. I got breast cancer as a result of HRT. :thumbdown: That was seven years ago. Today my bone density is just great. ;-) I took Remefemin (sp?). It helped some - not alot. But, I could not take any estrogen. So, please talk with your dr. and think very carefully on your next move. I still sweat just not as often. :? :|

Teresa 54 07-19-2011 02:45 AM

my hot sweats got so bad, ever 15 min i had one, I never slept, so I spoke to my obgyn and she reluctantly put me on Prempro - I am a new women.

flowerjoy 07-19-2011 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by mommaB
I say ..avoid HRT at all cost!! I had my hyterectomy at 37 and the doctor insisted (I resisted) I take HRT. Yeah, I felt great, but within 2 years was diagnosed with estrogen receptive breast cancer. And the treatment for that has caused havoc on my body..and I ended up with horrendous hot flashes anyway!! So much so that my oncologist signed me up for a clinincal study which used neurotinin to try to control them (didn't work). I had to record every one, which turned out to be more than 21 per day just during my waking hours! The tamoxifen (and other related cancer drugs) caused high blood pressure, oesteopenia, high colesterol, fatigue... And the hot flashes lasted for 5 years anyway. I blame all of my current health issues on that estrogen patch, it started the ball rolling.

My recommendation..Mother Nature knows what she's doing. Just let your body get it over with... get a couple fans for your bedroom and carry a roll of paper towel with you everywhere. ;)

this is similar to what I experienced (also had estrogen positive breast cancer)... all our bodies are different and the medical profession does not know who is going to be effected adversely but once you get breast cancer you cannot reverse time and undo the HRT... if doing it again I would suffer through the hot flashes... they are what they are but they wont kill you...

onthemove 07-19-2011 10:01 AM

I want to thank all you ladies for this discussion. I grew up in a house where nothing was ever talked about. I had no idea what was going to happen as I got older other than the basics. There is so much more to it. When I started having issues 7 years ago the doctor told me all my levels were within range and there was nothing wrong. I went back for 6 years with it gradually getting worse. Finally on year 7 I was not even on the charts and having memory problems, fuzziness, concentration issues and the sweats.... well you've all already said it ALL! I was put on low dose HRT and I am a new woman. HOWEVER.... I feel more normal now listening to all of you as my sisters and friends are not going through any of this. I thought I was a freak! So THANK YOU for making me feel NORMAL!!!!! Whatever that is!

SuziBoutique 07-19-2011 11:28 AM

Have you had your thyroid levels checked lately. When the levels are high, it makes you hot. I have to keep mine a little on the high side, because I had cancer and my thyroid removed.

MS quilter 07-19-2011 02:48 PM

I too have experienced an early hysterectomy & long term HRT. When the big scare began about them, I got off them. I have tried every thing on the shelf at drugstores. I finally found something that works for me. It took about a month for it to be as effective as I like, but thank God for any relief. I ordered it off the internet. It's called Mendapause. It does contain those herbs, but the combination is especially effective for me.

MS quilter 07-19-2011 02:48 PM

I too have experienced an early hysterectomy & long term HRT. When the big scare began about them, I got off them. I have tried every thing on the shelf at drugstores. I finally found something that works for me. It took about a month for it to be as effective as I like, but thank God for any relief. I ordered it off the internet. It's called Mendapause. It does contain those herbs, but the combination is especially effective for me.

JoanneS 07-19-2011 03:30 PM

I used the hormone patch for 13 years - went off it in 2001 when my doc said we're starting to hear bad things about it. In 2008 I found a BIG breast tumor (1-1/2 inches). It was 'hormone positive.' Can't say for sure that it was the hormone patch - but i certainly suspect that it didn't help! Now, I'm on a hormone suppressant and can't eat anything with soy in it, because of soy's veggie hormone creation in your body. So far I'm doing fine re no recurrence - and I'm not cursing the hormone patch. Why live in the past? But if I were facing that choice today, I certainly would NOT take hormones.

When I stopped using the patch in '01, the sweats began again. A friend is a homeopathic doctor, and she recommended sage tea. It worked! You can actually buy sage tea bags in health food stores, but I made my own, because I grow sage. It made great ice tea, too. The sweats lasted about a year, and, thankfully, ended.

iowabelle 07-19-2011 03:32 PM

When my mom got menopausal she was advised to take Evening Primrose Oil (available at a health food place) so that's something maybe we could look into.

I'm disappointed I can't ask my mom questions now about this stuff. I wasn't expecting she'd be gone when I am going through (or about to go through) "the change."