Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Calling all "ladies of a certain age" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/calling-all-%22ladies-certain-age%22-t138358.html)

linmid 07-19-2011 03:57 PM

There is actually a medical condition that does this not just the big M. So if you haven't been checked out by a doctor I would sure go see one and ASK about it. Even if you have seen a doctor ask him specifically about this condition.

Diane819 07-19-2011 05:08 PM

Believe it or not but my dr. is keeping me on birth control pills (I'm 60) so that I don't have the sweats etc. of menopause. She also says BC pills are good to help avoid female cancer. Hope you find something that works for you.

kwhite 07-20-2011 11:47 AM

Just a cautionary point. If you do have blood work from your GP and he/she finds your thyroid levels to be off PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE go see an endocronologist. GP may think they can deal with a thyroid issue but there is sooooo much involved that there is no way they can. Only a good endo can tell you why you would have the SYMPTOMS of Hypo or Hyper thyroid. Ask me how I know!!!

Robinlee 07-20-2011 12:19 PM

After I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer, I thought maybe I was going through Menapause, found out I wasn't. But because of the Breast cancer, I did some reading - and read many of the Susanze Summers books. She has some excellent information that I will follow (unless someone has better advice) when the time comes for me to be "ladies of a certain age" - just turned 50 in May, so where do I fit???
Start off with a blood panel and then look for the natural remedies.

Kappy 07-21-2011 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Eloise
Your talking to the choir! Have been there and done that and at times still doing that! HORRIBLE!!!! Hers a true story for you...A few years ago, I attended a convention with about 1000 women in attendance. I was an officer and had to be in the front of the group for several hours. Needles to say, I making my speech and I started feeling a little warm. (I even had a hand held fan blowing on me) Anyway, I kept getting warmer and warmer and then I broke out in SWEAT and I was sweatting so bad! Before I finished my speech my clothes were SOAKED! My hair was like I just got out of shower! Finally I had to excue myself, go to hotel room, take shower and dress again for the day! HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. Thank goodness I am now only having these hot flashes about once or twice every other month or so. Thank You Lord!

Oh I feel for you! At work I carry a hand towel on my med. cart and before I walk into a room, I try dry myself off!!! It is very embarrassing! That and my clothes are wet with sweat! I feel like such a proffessional..NOT!

LindaKayCat 07-26-2011 07:54 PM

Yea, been there, done that. Soy products are not good for those with thyroid issues. I decided to go bioidentical. They are a natural product and do not have the side effect that the pharmaceuticals have. I LOVE them. You have to have a dr prescribe them, but most will do what you want. And they are made by a compounding pharmacy or you can order them on line with a dr's prescription. Good for your bones, your skin, sex life, and helps with a good night's sleep. You can read online about them or there are plenty of books out there.

LindaKayCat