Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Calling all "ladies of a certain age" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/calling-all-%22ladies-certain-age%22-t138358.html)

noahscats7 07-17-2011 01:51 PM

I would never have survived without HRT. I had hot flashes every 10-15 minutes throughout the day and night. Horrible!!!!! I probably took it from age 43 to 56. No problems since then.

Up North 07-17-2011 02:00 PM

Yes talk to your Dr I took two soy tablets a day and mine went away, I still have night sweats sometimes.

plainpat 07-17-2011 02:12 PM

I was 43 when I had to have a hysterectomy & went into instant change while in the hospital. Dr put me on hormones & I became dreadfully ill with the beginning of terrible migranes. Turns out I couldn't take hormones of any kind & it took 10 long yrs for the hot flashes & migranes to fade away.
Tried Glucosamine tablets,every vitamin & natural remedy I heard of & nothing worked.Ruined a good,new mattress with night sweats.So glad that's over. Find a good Dr & maybe look into massage etc.....anything that helps.

Kappy 07-17-2011 02:25 PM

Thanks...I keep thinking "if guys had to go through this they would find a solution very quickly!" I started with night sweats around age 42 and the hot flashes hit at around 50...wasn't done with the monthly thing until age 55. I'm now 61 and this other element has surfaced...does it ever end? I am so very tired of it all! Excuse me while I go mop my brow and change clothes! LOL I'm not so anxious to try HRT as I use to have migraine headaches related to my cycle, which thankfully stopped when it did.

loves_2_quilt 07-17-2011 02:33 PM

I take soy since my surgery and do very well.

kimscruzer 07-17-2011 02:37 PM

I would wake up wringing wet from head to toe. I was getting ready to go to MD for HRT. I heard about Estroven with energy. It worked. I am sitting in my living room without A/C and it's at least 95 degrees. My mother also tried it and it helped her too.

eastermarie 07-17-2011 02:45 PM

My DH was on Lupron shots to control his prostate cancer while they took care of his bladder cancer. The Lupron gave him night sweats and hot flashes. He had them as bad as I do. That was in 2005 and the effects of the Lupron have not completely gone from his system. He gets hot flashes really bad in our little church, no air conditioning. He takes paper towels to mop his brow. The Lupron also made him very "chatty". For someone who didn't talk very much before, he talks all the time now. Part of the problem could come from the effects of the chemo for his colon cancer. I bought him Hot Flash Relief spray from Avon for his chest at nights. And he would sleep with one of those Chillow pillows laying across his chest, and switch it out with the spare that was kept in the fridge.

Joyce DeBacco 07-17-2011 02:56 PM

I'm like another poster here--every 15 minutes all day, all night, lasting about 15 minutes each time. Not much relief in between I suffered with it for two years waiting for it to go away as I'd heard it would. Then I read something that said for some women they never go away. That's when I decided to go the hormone route. I take the lowest dose there is and I've managed to get by on taking only every other day to reduce any dangers that might be associated with it.

So don't suffer with it; see your doctor.

Ramona Byrd 07-17-2011 03:03 PM

There are natural alternatives to the usual HRT stuff.

Like one nurse told me "Nobody ever died for lack of horse pee" which is what it's made from. The urine of pregnant horses.

i'm sure that you could find such on the Internet.
I used to innocently (read..stupidly) believe what my doctor told me to do. After a period of taking the two hormones, and minus one breast, I am now very cynical about a lot of things.

Try the internet..lots of interesting stuff there.

Also took Vitamin E long years before the HRT "Just in case" after which I developed breast cancer....the vitamin E stopped my just beginning sweats, never had any more trouble with that part.

0tis 07-17-2011 03:44 PM

I had hysterectomy when i was 39--have been on vivelle-dot for 7yrs. Still have hot flashes--doesn't completely go away. All my Drs said no problems being on it forever --no increased risk for anything. Best to talk with your Dr.