Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Calling all "ladies of a certain age" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/calling-all-%22ladies-certain-age%22-t138358.html)

genafan201 07-17-2011 04:48 PM

52 here and "thrown" into meno after chemo and meds. My doctor suggested UnderArmour clothing, the sort of stuff athletes wear to stay cool. I must say, while I still get the hot flashes at night, sweating has definitely calmed down some.

frugalfabrics 07-17-2011 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis
I had hysterectomy when i was 39--have been on vivelle-dot for 7yrs. Still have hot flashes--doesn't completely go away. All my Drs said no problems being on it forever --no increased risk for anything. Best to talk with your Dr.

is Vivelle-dot an over-the-counter med or is it a prescription?

I had a full hysterectomy at 42...and went into instant hot flashes...first six months I wasn't allowed to take anything...after that the doc put me on Estradiol (estrace) - 1mg...lowest dose possible.

If there is an OTC med available, I'd prefer to take it over taking the Estradiol forever. The estradiol works...just don't like taking Rx meds.

0tis 07-17-2011 05:20 PM

Vivelle-Dot is a prescription - I take a small dose and I can cut them in half also - it is a patch that I replace twice a week.

frugalfabrics 07-17-2011 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis
Vivelle-Dot is a prescription - I take a small dose and I can cut them in half also - it is a patch that I replace twice a week.

Okay, thanks....I did go google it after I asked....lol

It is the same type of meds as mine..it's a Estradiol Transdermal Patch...but I like the fact that you can cut it in half and just use half of it.

I'll have to see if my insurance will pay for it...thanks for the info.

QuiltnLady1 07-17-2011 06:01 PM

Watch the soy with the Thyroid meds -- my doctor said if I start eating/drinking soy in any quantity he wanted to test more often and would probably need to make dosage adjustments.

LeeAnn 07-17-2011 06:07 PM

I finally caved and started on a low dose of HRT. It was the best thing I've ever done. The hot flashes got to be unbearable. I would have one every half hour all during the night not to mention the ones during the day. I would sweat so much I felt like a salt lick. Now I sleep through the night and feel so much better.

nursie76 07-17-2011 06:16 PM

You should never start any over the counter meds until you check with your doc. Especially if you are on prescription meds too. However, after checking with my doctor, I used New Phase which I got at Wal Mart. After a little while, I did switch to extra strength, but it was a wonderful help. I am now done, and wound up taking it for only about 2 years. Also, please note that soy is helpful because it has "natural hormones" (estrogen). One of the reasons to check with your doc is to review your hx or risk of certain cancers as some respond or kind of thrive on estrogen.

Gladys 07-17-2011 06:30 PM

I had a hysterectomy in '85. Left my ovaries...I had such a chemical imbalance as a result it took 2 doctors 2 yrs to get me straightened out. Thank the Lord for HRT's. After twice trying to get off them in the last 5 years I am now on the lowest dose possible and will stay on it the rest of my life if possible. If I go off of them for 1 week my eyes get dry and the hot flashes start immediately. I have always sweat like a horse all my life but as a result of exertion. The hot flashes I have are horrible and irritability and jittery feeling make me and those around me miserable. I will just be happy to stay on them as long as I need to. My mom was on them till she died.

SuziBoutique 07-17-2011 06:39 PM

Several have mentioned soy milk or soy beans. As another poster stated, check with your Dr. before starting with this. All the info. that I have read, states that soy interfers with thyroid function.

cheri62 07-17-2011 06:44 PM

I sweat like that too, wish there was a easy solution for it.