Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   can someone tell me the name of this book (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/can-someone-tell-me-name-book-t134719.html)

jellybeans 07-03-2011 06:17 AM

It was called The Boxcar Children. I must have walked from my house to the library a bazillion times just to check it out and read it. It was my favorite book. I wish I had an old copy of if so I could read it to my granddaughter.

mjsylvstr 07-03-2011 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by jellybeans
It was called The Boxcar Children. I must have walked from my house to the library a bazillion times just to check it out and read it. It was my favorite book. I wish I had an old copy of if so I could read it to my granddaughter.

Jellybeans..did you check out the post right above yours?

It tells you all about the many books...check it out.....

teacherbailey 07-03-2011 06:26 AM

It's definitely the Boxcar Children series. A little dated but kids still love them!

Murphy1 07-03-2011 06:57 AM

The Boxcar Children? The Orphan Train? Those are two books I am familiar with. Google the titles, it will probably confirm if these titles are what you thought. The first is more early elementary and the second is more middle school based on true history.

jnagy1206 07-03-2011 07:23 AM

Definitely the Boxcar Children. Both my boys enjoyed the entire series. You can never own too many books. (Except now it is stored on Kindles)

puck116 07-03-2011 10:08 AM

I read the Bobbsie Twins and Nancy Drew series when I was young. My dad would go to the Salvation Army once a week and if he found a book for .05 cents he would bring it home for me. What a treat and I still have my books. All my barbies were given away to a family that was burned out, but I refuse to give up my books.
My son read the Boxcar Children series when he was young.

Ramona Byrd 07-03-2011 10:41 AM

Yes, the Boxcar Children. I used to read them to my kids.
The Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys really did urge kids to read. One of my daughters took her Nancy Drews with her when she married, the other one waited till she was herself married till she came back for her Cherry Ames and some of the other series. Last one, a son, reluctantly gave his Hardy Boys to his smaller cousins when he went to the Navy.

Ramona Byrd 07-03-2011 10:46 AM

The series of books like that many years ago really did help kids to read. When I tried to talk a middle school librarian into getting some, or accepting some for the school library, she sneered at the idea. Said that in her experience, kids did not like such things and they wanted books to read about kids like themselves!!!!!!
All the while there was a line like a bunch of ants of little girls and later boys, borrowing my kids' books.
I'd sure like to have seen that librarian when the Harry Potter books came out..I saw 8 and 9 year olds clutching their copies at Costco, and they were happily sounding out the words in that book! The author said that many publishers sent her book back, saying it had too many hard words in it, too many twists and turns and it was far too hard for kids it was aimed at.
I'll bet heads rolled when that series was finally bought by some forward looking publisher!!! Now that author is no longer a welfare mom but a multimillionaire! And I'll bet her first husband who dumped her often breaks his leg kicking himself in the rear!!

quiltingnana1 07-03-2011 11:02 AM

The Boxcar Children. Jessie was the oldest girl. Love that book! Still have a copy on my bookshelves. Won't say how long ago I read that story. There are sequels out now, too. Haven't been interested in those. :-)

Ramona Byrd 07-03-2011 11:14 AM

y. There are sequels out now, too. Haven't been interested in those. :-)[/quote]
----------------------------------------
There are sequels to most of them, updated to these times. I bought one of them for a young G Niece, who did not like it. I got her some of the original ones which she DID like very much.