Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Can you help us to get rid of a telemarketer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/can-you-help-us-get-rid-telemarketer-t70858.html)

Living the Dream 10-18-2010 02:18 PM

Since you're receiving calls at a Business, you probably don't want to do the kind of stuff you'd do if you were being called at home. I think you'd want to be careful about embarassing your company or starting rumors.

So next time you receive a call, just tell the caller "The boss told all of us not to forward your calls to her, or else. And, gee, I'm sure you don't want me to get in trouble with my boss. So goodbye." click.

Butterflyblue 10-18-2010 02:36 PM

My dad drives a truck (owner operator), and gets all kinds of telemarketing calls because of it - factoring, tools, that kind of stuff. This one guy kept calling, and finally, the guy called when he was just driving down the road and had time to kill. So he acted all interested and kept asking about different options, etc, payment plans, just kept dragging it out, until after about 45 minutes he just said "Nope, I don't think I need that after all", and hung up. And the guy didn't call back.

Suzan Larrimore 10-18-2010 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
by now you should have the business name or you can get it on the next call. Once you get the information, tell them that you're reporting them to the state's attorney for harassment and to the better business bureau for the same. That has made folks stop...and you really can do the reporting, so it's not an empty threat.

Also tell them to put you on THEIR do not call list. After that, keep track of when they do call. Report them to the phone company. Every time they call. Used to be, if they kept calling, you receive money($500.) per call. I remember this from when the National Do Not Call list was implemented. Don't know if it still works, but you could try.

bearisgray 10-18-2010 03:20 PM

Actually, what I say is:

Thank you for calling. I'm going to hang up now so you can call someone that might be interested in .... . Have a good one.

And then I hang up.

SuziC 10-18-2010 04:06 PM

I used to get so frustrated with one particular guy who tried to sell us on Basement Waterproofing. He called for three weeks strait! I finally got a plan.....i scheduled an "estimate" and he was thrilled. When he showed up at the house i said okay let's hear it....He was speechless!!
WE HAVE NO BASEMENT :lol: :lol: :lol: Never called again

Eddie 10-18-2010 04:10 PM

I just push down one of the number keys and hold it so that it blasts a long continuous BLEEEEEEP in their headset earpiece. :D

Sunflower7 10-18-2010 04:34 PM

Say nothing...hang up.

litacats 10-18-2010 04:46 PM

I could tell you what a friend does but i am not sure I could mention it on this forum, what I do is say hang on a minute I have to turn the gass off, then put the phone down till you hear them disconnect, it doesn't take very long,
I will abreviate what my friend does,
:oops:if a man is on the phone and she answers she asks him if he has a big D@&^ if he answers the phone and it is a woman he asks if she has big T#@'s, it gets them of the phone quick smart, they are so horrified that someone could ask such a question, if they ask what did you say he/she repeats the question. 1 got the supervisor to talk to him so he just repeated the question to her and she hung up on him, Don't know why,:oops: :lol:
I couldn't bring myself to do that. so I just ask them to hang on till they get sick of it and hang up

Jingle 10-18-2010 05:04 PM

At our business, we say we are not interested, thank you and hang up.

Sometimes a person with a horrible accent will call and ask for the owner, sometimes using his very common first name,like they know him, we answer he won't be in until Friday, the owner will also do this.

karenchi 10-19-2010 03:53 PM

I put them on hold too!!!