Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Can you run this or ruin it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/can-you-run-ruin-t303716.html)

Ariannaquilts 03-20-2019 10:06 PM

Can you run this or ruin it?

Hi all, I was asked if I knew if someone could test a serger without a presser foot? I do not know the answer so discouraged my friend until I could get some information. I know I have sort of accidentally run a sewing machine that I was given without the foot on just to see if it worked but have no clue as to what would happen in this case. Thanks for your responses.

donna13350 03-21-2019 12:15 AM

Test it for what? It will never cut or sew without the foot.

Rhonda K 03-21-2019 04:32 AM

Agree that the foot should be on the machine.

Ariannaquilts 03-21-2019 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 (Post 8228524)
Test it for what? It will never cut or sew without the foot.

She bought it and discovered it didn’t have the presser foot now she just basically wants to know if the thing works. I mean she said the light comes on but doesn’t know if she should keep it or return it? So if she runs it will it damage it because she doesn’t want to cause them to not refund her money.

nativetexan 03-21-2019 08:42 AM

she must get a foot from whom ever sold it to her. or give in and buy one. sorry she is having trouble. odd no foot being included.

Ariannaquilts 03-21-2019 09:12 AM

The people that sold it to her said they have no idea what happened to the foot. I just realized something that my friend said, she said they told her that they ran it a week ago. So since there is no foot I’m going to tell her to go ahead and try it! Hopefully I won’t regret it but no one is giving me a straight answer which to me means no one has tried it. Her time to contact them is running out.

Chasing Hawk 03-21-2019 09:26 AM

It's possible they "said" it ran, did they say with or without the foot? Perhaps she can buy a replacement foot. Did she buy the serger off of eBay, they may have some sort of recourse for her.

leonf 03-21-2019 12:56 PM

Sounds to me like a receipe for the mother of all thread jams.

If I were to try to run it ( and I wouldn't) it would be with not a bit of thread. so that's hardly a test.

Ariannaquilts 03-21-2019 01:03 PM

Ok so I just heard from my friend again and she asked if I would ask everyone about the hand wheel. She was getting ready to call the person she bought it from and decided to check the wheel and wants to know if it is like a sewing machine wheel that turns easily or not. She said when she tried to turn it away from her she could hardly turn it? Is this something she should be concerned about? Personally I think she should return it, what do you all think?

cashs_mom 03-21-2019 02:49 PM

I think I wouldn't turn the wheel away from me for starts. Why was she trying to do that? It can often cause a lot problems turning the wheel the wrong way. I would definitely return it and ask them to show her how they ran it.