Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can you run this or ruin it?

Can you run this or ruin it?

Hi all, I was asked if I knew if someone could test a serger without a presser foot? I do not know the answer so discouraged my friend until I could get some information. I know I have sort of accidentally run a sewing machine that I was given without the foot on just to see if it worked but have no clue as to what would happen in this case. Thanks for your responses.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Test it for what? It will never cut or sew without the foot.

Agree that the foot should be on the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
    Test it for what? It will never cut or sew without the foot.
    She bought it and discovered it didn’t have the presser foot now she just basically wants to know if the thing works. I mean she said the light comes on but doesn’t know if she should keep it or return it? So if she runs it will it damage it because she doesn’t want to cause them to not refund her money.
    Maria

Blog Entries
    she must get a foot from whom ever sold it to her. or give in and buy one. sorry she is having trouble. odd no foot being included.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

The people that sold it to her said they have no idea what happened to the foot. I just realized something that my friend said, she said they told her that they ran it a week ago. So since there is no foot I’m going to tell her to go ahead and try it! Hopefully I won’t regret it but no one is giving me a straight answer which to me means no one has tried it. Her time to contact them is running out.
    Maria

It's possible they "said" it ran, did they say with or without the foot? Perhaps she can buy a replacement foot. Did she buy the serger off of eBay, they may have some sort of recourse for her.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Sounds to me like a receipe for the mother of all thread jams.

If I were to try to run it ( and I wouldn't) it would be with not a bit of thread. so that's hardly a test.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

Ok so I just heard from my friend again and she asked if I would ask everyone about the hand wheel. She was getting ready to call the person she bought it from and decided to check the wheel and wants to know if it is like a sewing machine wheel that turns easily or not. She said when she tried to turn it away from her she could hardly turn it? Is this something she should be concerned about? Personally I think she should return it, what do you all think?
    Maria

I think I wouldn't turn the wheel away from me for starts. Why was she trying to do that? It can often cause a lot problems turning the wheel the wrong way. I would definitely return it and ask them to show her how they ran it.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I don't think I would have bought it without a foot.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I don't think I would have bought it without a foot.
    She didn't know it was missing the foot, it wasn't until she got it home and took everything out of the boxes to set it up that she found out. Problem was that the way it was packed there were several boxes so she didn't realize until everything was put together. She knew I was thinking about buying a serger that's why she asked me these things.
    Maria

Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    I think I wouldn't turn the wheel away from me for starts. Why was she trying to do that? It can often cause a lot problems turning the wheel the wrong way. I would definitely return it and ask them to show her how they ran it.
    Patrice she said it doesn't say anything in the manual about turning the hand wheel either way. Do you think maybe that's the reason why it feels so stiff when she turned it?
    Maria

She needs to return it, I was gifted a serger, it had a foot but it was not for the machine I had. Also, I could turn the hand wheel but only so far and it became hard to turn. I tried it both ways and still the same problem. I took it in to a dealer, the service person looked at it and there was piece of cording caught way up inside of it. Not sure how that happened. Apparently it sewed about 4 inches and bound up and would not sew. Turns out the shaft was damaged, major repair and not worth spending the money on it.

what brand is it. call a dealer, or take it by a dealer....you can purchase a foot, plug it in at the dealer and see if it works. Babylock sergers are expensive, even second hand. But they are the best.. if that is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
    Patrice she said it doesn't say anything in the manual about turning the hand wheel either way. Do you think maybe that's the reason why it feels so stiff when she turned it?
    I don't know, but I don't understand why she was turning the hand wheel away from her in the first place. Not a good idea.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Do you know the brand and model? Did she get the manual for the machine? Agree with suggestions to take to a dealer f possible. They will usually take the time to see what's up with the machine. Many feet can be purchased on line.

On some models, turning the hand wheel a certain locks the tubes so it can be threaded.

Again the manual will show directions and how-to for the machine. If a recent model, the manual may be on-line too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
    She bought it and discovered it didn’t have the presser foot now she just basically wants to know if the thing works. I mean she said the light comes on but doesn’t know if she should keep it or return it? So if she runs it will it damage it because she doesn’t want to cause them to not refund her money.
    I bought a presser foot for mine for about $50. She can do either send it back for a refund since it was not whole, or take it to a sewing center and ask them to test it first, and then decide?
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.