Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   catnip - anyone else growing it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/catnip-anyone-else-growing-t50732.html)

littlehud 06-22-2010 07:38 AM

I haven't tried that before. How do you start it. Catnip seeds?????

lab fairy 06-22-2010 08:18 AM

Maybe kids heard catnip called the kitty crack and misunderstood. Of course some kids will be stupid and try anything.

QBeth 06-22-2010 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I've wanted to plant some in my neighbor's flower bed to lure their cats back home. They tend to dig up mine and think it is their litter box. Think it would work?

Oooooooo, I love this idea!! My neighbors let their "indoor" cat wander around in my yard, doing its business under my bedroom windows! Some people have no concept of boundaries. :-(

MistyMarie 06-22-2010 11:33 AM

As a cat owner and mom of two in-and-out youngsters, I find it VERY hard to keep our kitties indoors. We rescued the cats from a farm, so they are used to being free to roam. I feel bad when our cats antagonize the neighborhood dogs, but I don't know how to keep them in when the kids prop open doors, run in and out, and the cats beg and beg by scratching on the door to be let out. Maybe I should plant some catnip to keep them from going far.

QBeth 06-22-2010 11:38 AM

The next door neighbor's cat that I talked about in my last post is definitely an inside cat, most of the time. but, they take him out for little "excursions" every now and then. Errrr!

We rescued a kitty off the street, too. It took a couple of (winter) months before she figured out that its warm inside and there's always food. It wasn't too hard to keep her inside because there's only Bob and I, no kids running in and out. Otherwise, it would have been very hard!

quiltilicious 06-22-2010 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
The next door neighbor's cat that I talked about in my last post is definitely an inside cat, most of the time. but, they take him out for little "excursions" every now and then. Errrr!

We rescued a kitty off the street, too. It took a couple of (winter) months before she figured out that its warm inside and there's always food. It wasn't too hard to keep her inside because there's only Bob and I, no kids running in and out. Otherwise, it would have been very hard!

I used to let my cats out when I lived on an acre of land that bordered a bunch of small farms. However, after having to deal with fleas and ticks and getting Lyme disease from a tick that my cat brought into the house, I've learned to keep the furkids INSIDE. Plus there's too much traffic in this neighborhood for me to be comfortable letting my cats out (and also against city ordinance,but that doesn't stop other people).

lab fairy 06-22-2010 12:24 PM

I trained my kids from the time they were small as much as my cats about the door policy. My kids learned to close doors and watch for the cats. My cats back away from open doors because they know the only time they go through it is to go to the V.E.T.

QBeth 06-23-2010 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
My cats back away from open doors because they know the only time they go through it is to go to the V.E.T.

Thanks for the laugh! Mine will greet me at the door, especially Rudy, but a couple do run when the door is opened. I hadn't considered "a trip to the vet" as the reason. Too funny.

quilting memaw 06-23-2010 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LOL...we have it in our flower beds out front. Now it is growing between the bricks on the walk. Our cats love it....found a funny for ya all....

smoking is bad for ya!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88194[/ATTACH]

shopella 06-23-2010 12:16 PM

My Aunt grows it and it is now wild at her place! she sent me a bag of it dryed so I could make catnip toys for all my friends one year...she is the best Aunt!