Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: catnip - anyone else growing it?

Blog Entries
    I have a flower pot with catnip in it because I read that it repels mosquitoes... bot now the neighborhood strays have discovered it. I woke up this morning, and 3 of the big side stalks were chewed down to the nub. I wonder if I'm going to get into trouble for aiding in the delinquency of cats? :lol:

I have grown cartnip for years. Never had any cats bother
    it. Catnip tea a good for nausea.

I've wanted to plant some in my neighbor's flower bed to lure their cats back home. They tend to dig up mine and think it is their litter box. Think it would work?

Neighbor cats got mine, too.

I don't like the smell of fresh catnip but hubby's cats love it.

Blog Entries
    Good thing my cats don't live near you! I'd never get them back home!

I plan on growing some next year. I love the fact it comes back year after year. Kola isn't to interested in it. But who knows, her cat friend might be.
    One of her sons used to lay near my catnip plants and stretch his arms around it as if to claim it as his.

Back in the late 1960s I was working at a Woolworth's store. After the kids -teens & 20s- were buying all the catnip off the shelves, we learned that they were smoking it. We had to limit it to one per customer.

Oh my gosh! You can smoke catnip? The things people come up with...

I have a small pot of catnip, but I have to grow it then dry it for my cats to show any interest.

LOL, catnip joints huh????? Thats funny, maybe they were selling it saying it was pot????????
    It grows wild here, and I have someby my porch. I always know if a kitty escapes, he will be under the catnip, nipped out!!!!!!!!!

I haven't tried that before. How do you start it. Catnip seeds?????

Maybe kids heard catnip called the kitty crack and misunderstood. Of course some kids will be stupid and try anything.

Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy
    I've wanted to plant some in my neighbor's flower bed to lure their cats back home. They tend to dig up mine and think it is their litter box. Think it would work?
    Oooooooo, I love this idea!! My neighbors let their "indoor" cat wander around in my yard, doing its business under my bedroom windows! Some people have no concept of boundaries. :-(

As a cat owner and mom of two in-and-out youngsters, I find it VERY hard to keep our kitties indoors. We rescued the cats from a farm, so they are used to being free to roam. I feel bad when our cats antagonize the neighborhood dogs, but I don't know how to keep them in when the kids prop open doors, run in and out, and the cats beg and beg by scratching on the door to be let out. Maybe I should plant some catnip to keep them from going far.

The next door neighbor's cat that I talked about in my last post is definitely an inside cat, most of the time. but, they take him out for little "excursions" every now and then. Errrr!

We rescued a kitty off the street, too. It took a couple of (winter) months before she figured out that its warm inside and there's always food. It wasn't too hard to keep her inside because there's only Bob and I, no kids running in and out. Otherwise, it would have been very hard!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    The next door neighbor's cat that I talked about in my last post is definitely an inside cat, most of the time. but, they take him out for little "excursions" every now and then. Errrr!

We rescued a kitty off the street, too. It took a couple of (winter) months before she figured out that its warm inside and there's always food. It wasn't too hard to keep her inside because there's only Bob and I, no kids running in and out. Otherwise, it would have been very hard!
    I used to let my cats out when I lived on an acre of land that bordered a bunch of small farms. However, after having to deal with fleas and ticks and getting Lyme disease from a tick that my cat brought into the house, I've learned to keep the furkids INSIDE. Plus there's too much traffic in this neighborhood for me to be comfortable letting my cats out (and also against city ordinance,but that doesn't stop other people).

I trained my kids from the time they were small as much as my cats about the door policy. My kids learned to close doors and watch for the cats. My cats back away from open doors because they know the only time they go through it is to go to the V.E.T.

Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy
    My cats back away from open doors because they know the only time they go through it is to go to the V.E.T.
    Thanks for the laugh! Mine will greet me at the door, especially Rudy, but a couple do run when the door is opened. I hadn't considered "a trip to the vet" as the reason. Too funny.

LOL...we have it in our flower beds out front. Now it is growing between the bricks on the walk. Our cats love it....found a funny for ya all....

smoking is bad for ya!
    Name:  Attachment-88189.jpe
Views: 6
Size:  2.2 KB

My Aunt grows it and it is now wild at her place! she sent me a bag of it dryed so I could make catnip toys for all my friends one year...she is the best Aunt!

I had some in a pot last year . My DD cat got out and found it. He loves catnip. It wasn't long before it was toast. I want to grow some more though. Next year.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I gave up trying to grow catnip in my flower beds b/c before it could get big enough every cat around rolled in it, etc and killed it. So now I grow it in hanging pots. My cats get totally high off it. I just snip some leaves, bring it in and they love it.
    :D I also use it as a treat for after they get brushed.

Blog Entries
    years ago I planted it

I had a Siamese cat years ago that would DEVOUR it as soon as I would get it planted. My current cat likes the dried form and asks for it by lying in the same spot on the den floor and mewing softly.

Am I enabling? :)

When my kids were little, I would rub the catnip on the topsof their feet, and the kittyswould follow them everywhere. It was so cute, til we got a male that wanted to bite around catnip, lol!
    The stuff will take over if youre not careful, its a mint, so it really spreads!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast