Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   cats that eat thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cats-eat-thread-t139839.html)

IngeMK 07-24-2011 01:24 PM

sorry about your kittie! my cat used to try to eat thread also. don't know what the attraction is?

Quiltinggma-nc 07-24-2011 03:51 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss. Thanks for sharing.

Retiredandquilting 07-25-2011 02:53 AM

I have a "thread eater" too! I keep all my thread in a drawer, and every time I leave the sewing room I have to take my thread off the machine and put it away. I keep the door closed when I am not in there, but sometimes she sneaks in when I am ironing or sewing and she hides and I do not know she is there. So I have to be religious about pulling my thread off the machine and putting it away. It is a pain in the neck, but not nearly has much trouble as the alternative!

vtretire 07-25-2011 03:44 AM

my sympathy to you. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. It just tears your heart out. I have 2 cats who like to "sew" with me. I keep my thread spools in a drawer. I bought one of those little wooden chests you find in the unfinished wood section at the craft store. I made a little pin cushion to fit inside and can just flip the lid shut. (My "girls" like pins) and I use an empty container that bathroom wipes come in for my thread snips because it also has a cover. It's all worth the inconvenience.

pscott392 07-25-2011 06:12 AM

Thanks for the information. I have 2 cats, one of which is VERY curious. I know you miss your baby very much, just as I would miss mine should something happen to them.

jodiann2 07-25-2011 06:39 AM

So sorry for your lose, you never forget your "children".
My little pug swallowed a needle and thread. We weren't
sure about it but a week later she screamed. We took her
to the vet and the needle had traveled clear thru her.
Fortunately the vet was able to get it without any
surgery and she is alright.
Those babies get into everything.

BuzzinBumble 07-25-2011 06:41 AM

So sorry for your loss of a dear pet. I hope in time you can remember the happy memories more than the loss.

I would like to add that anything elastic, Christmas Tree tinsel, and straight pins can all do the same terrible damage to your pet's intestines. For some reason, they are attracted to put these things in their mouths. Cats are worse than dogs when it comes to thread though.
We had a cat who stripped my husbands fishing pole of its fishing line. Miraculously, he survived, but we had a lot of messes to clean up from the sickness it caused.

MadQuilter 07-25-2011 06:43 AM

I've seen cats with needls stuck in their throats which is why my boys are not allowed on the sewing table. I'm sorry you lost your little friend.

almostfree 07-25-2011 06:43 AM

So sorry for your loss. We lost one of our dogs 2 years ago and I still think about her everyday, even though we still have 2 at home now.

ssgramma 07-25-2011 06:43 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had a cat eat 13" of red cord and it cost nearly $500 for abdominal surgery way back in the early 90's! That taught me to keep things where the little devils can't get at them :-)