Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Challenge from DH - is this doable??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/challenge-dh-doable-t45117.html)

kay carlson 05-07-2010 10:59 AM

Sunkistmi, I hope you don't mind me posting on this thread.
I, too, have items to go through.

I inherited a house, full of things (wall to wall and floor to ceiling). I have to go through about 500 square feet left in the basement and one extra large closet upstairs. I am putting off the workshop until this coming winter. Actually, what is left to go through is nothing -- only one layer deep on the floor.

Yesterday, we took the final load of items needed to be brought by truck to the city dump. This is so liberating!
Did I tell you that I'm moving my sewing area to the family room and that room is getting set up nicely?

Let's do our projects together and give one another encouragement. I have been working on the inherited contents of this house for over a decade. Let's both go for the WIN-WIN :-)

Members of this board have such good suggestions that I have learned a great deal. People think I am "organized" but I tell them that I have burned out on the sorting downstairs several times. It has been a nightmare and my DH has been very supportive.

Hugs to you and every other member who has a challenge:-)

QuiltingGrannie 05-07-2010 12:16 PM

Cleaning report end of the day for me. Office (my section) is cleaned and organized, shredding done, files put away, trash already out in the dumpster!
Laundry done, folded. Bathrooms (2) cleaned.
I'm calling it a day. Actually calling it a few days. Have to work tomorrow, Sunday is church, relax and Mother's Day (and I'm actually off work). Monday I work day shift. I'll tackle the next phase on Tuesday.

Happy organizing everyone.

sewjoyce 05-07-2010 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Cleaning report end of the day for me. Office (my section) is cleaned and organized, shredding done, files put away, trash already out in the dumpster!
Laundry done, folded. Bathrooms (2) cleaned.
I'm calling it a day. Actually calling it a few days. Have to work tomorrow, Sunday is church, relax and Mother's Day (and I'm actually off work). Monday I work day shift. I'll tackle the next phase on Tuesday.

Happy organizing everyone.

You make me tired!! But you GO GIRL!! :thumbup:

butterflywing 05-07-2010 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i'm confused. are you expected to do this all by yourself?

:shock: :hunf:

good question. :?

Boopers 05-11-2010 11:36 AM

This is doable. When I redid my sewing room, I hired a neighbour girl to come in and strip my room, putting everything into bins which were moved outside. I am handicapped so a good friend came to help me sort and put every thing back. It worked out really well.
Any thing I didn't want went to one of our local charities.

granniebj 05-11-2010 11:47 AM

Alot of good advice in here already so I will just say "good luck' and keep motivated!

Deb watkins 05-11-2010 12:17 PM

Would you all believe that with my OCD (I think it only applies to sewing) my room is an organized/disorganized mess? I get working on one thing which leads me to another and before I know it, I have patterns and fabric and ideas all over the place. So, in reading this thread, I have taken up the challenge for myself. Made a list (yes, that darn OCD) and will do it in time frames......I am sure that I will find that 6x12 ruler, my triangle ruler, the coffee wrap pattern, the rest of the pp square I am working on, the rest of my fusible web.........

quiltinghere 05-11-2010 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
It didn't get messy in a day and it won't get clean in a day.

One of the methods that Helen Butigig from the program "neat" uses is to presort and put like with like. Then go through the batches and sort into one of 3 bins: 1. Do you love it and/or use it? 2. Has it outlived its usefulness or do you have too many? 3. Plain old junk.
Bin 1 you get to keep. Bin 2 gets donated. Bin 3 gets tossed into the trash or recycle bin.
By presorting into like categories, it is much easier to see that you may have 15 of the same thing and really only NEED a fraction of that count. Now, if hubby doesn't want to help, he could keep you company.

I LOVE watching that show. I always presort stuff if I'm doing a thorough cleaning. All dishes to the sink, all papers to the recycling, garbage in the can, personal belongings to the appropriate rooms. THEN I can get to work on sweeping and dusting and rearranging, etc.

HOW's IT GOING there girl?

quiltinghere 05-11-2010 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Would you all believe that with my OCD (I think it only applies to sewing) my room is an organized/disorganized mess? I get working on one thing which leads me to another and before I know it, I have patterns and fabric and ideas all over the place. So, in reading this thread, I have taken up the challenge for myself. Made a list (yes, that darn OCD) and will do it in time frames......I am sure that I will find that 6x12 ruler, my triangle ruler, the coffee wrap pattern, the rest of the pp square I am working on, the rest of my fusible web.........

I think MESS comes with BEING CREATIVE. WE just have to remember to REORGANIZE every now and then so we can find that ruler, pattern and things we've been working on! LOL

:lol:

ann clare 05-11-2010 02:07 PM

You can do it. I'm sure hubby would be glad to help if asked.