Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Challenge from DH - is this doable??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/challenge-dh-doable-t45117.html)

MadQuilter 05-11-2010 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
HOW's IT GOING there girl?

Well, last night I dragged my sorry butt upstairs and started to tackle the sewing room. I unearthed some real treasures such as fabric that friends bought for me on their travels. So I sorted all the errand overflow, trashed a bunch of stuff (nothing worth passing on) and put away a bunch. Now I have to empty the wardrobe and see what's in there. It holds all of my non-quilting fabric and notions. More work tonight, but it was fun to actually see the counter top.

QuiltingGrannie 05-11-2010 05:42 PM

I tackled one corner of my den this morning before I left for work. Got it rearranged, dusted and organized. Now for the other three corners and everything in between. Should get it done Sunday by the end of the weekend. Lot to change are reorganize in there as I'm moving part of my creative creations there (the mini storage cabinets for one.

Oh, Deb - I understand your OCD. lol have it myself for some things.

sunkistmi 05-17-2010 10:34 AM

Thanks for all the inspiration! Just a note, DH has offered to help, many times. I am so ashamed of the awful mess that I don't want him to see just how really bad it is, although I know deep down, he already knows. Have set a schedule for myself so I don't do too much in one day. Progress is showing. It really helps that I'm now bottle feeding the foster kitten every 4-5 hours. You are all such wonder friends. Thanks for helping to believe in myself.
Wendy B

QuiltingGrannie 05-17-2010 11:24 AM

You can do it Wendy. Good idea to set easy goals to not do too much in one day.
I'm working on my den.Found my desk, a book shelve and lots of stuff I have to move around and store. Guess I'll get back down there now to get more done.
I'd love to tackle the whole house and get rid of a lot. With the way my DH and I work we don't even have time off together to have a yard sale which I could really use.

sunkistmi 05-17-2010 11:47 AM

I keep thinking that I must be a terrible disappointment to him as a wife. He doesn't even have 1 room in the entire house that doesn't have my stuff in it. The main bathroom isn't even clean now that it has the momma kitty and her 4 babies in it. He has been so patient with me throughout the 21 surgeries, 3 cancers and terrible judgements with overspending but he continues to hang on for 36 years. I am very lucky and blessed. It's like I want to do it really bad but have no energy or 'oomph' to do it. I make all these resolutions to "get my butt in gear" then wake up the next day in pain and no energy to get moving. I'm hoping when they fry the nerves in my back tomorrow (using radio waves) it will help with the pain control. It seems like it just never ends. Please understand, I'm not whining, although I guess it really sounds like I am. I know there are so many out there in MUCH worse situations than I am. It's just that some days, I have to look harder to find them. I consider myself very blessed when I really sit down and review my life. This board, in so many ways, has been a lifeline somedays when there has just been no one else I could talk to. Thank you, each and every one of you, for your posts and words of encouragement. Well, back to work. That is the real problem, I could, and have, spent the whole day on here rather than doing what I'm supposed to be doing, lol. That's one of my other problems, no willpower. I'm such a wimp!
Wendy B

MegsAnn 05-17-2010 12:10 PM

Wendy sweetie it's okay to vent. Your husband sounds like a great guy... and that great guy is choosing to be with you! He's not stupid for making that choice. You have so much to offer too. Take it one day at a time and you'll get there.

quiltinghere 05-17-2010 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by sunkistmi
Well, back to work. That is the real problem, I could, and have, spent the whole day on here rather than doing what I'm supposed to be doing, lol. That's one of my other problems, no willpower. I'm such a wimp!
Wendy B

Glad :thumbup: to read that you appreciate all the wonderful things in your life (we all need to).
Sorry to hear that you've had to many medical issues.
GLAD :thumbup: to hear you've found one small problem in getting things done - Time on the Computer (I'm guilty of that too).
Do like me and tell yourself OUTLOUD - GET UPPPPPP!!!!!!
:) :lol: :thumbup:

sueisallaboutquilts 05-18-2010 05:53 AM

Whenever I have a chore to do that I really don't like I make sure I have a good audio book plugged in and it makes the chore and the time fly!!! I have a fanny pack that I put around my waist to hold my cd player- awesome!!! :D
Good luck to you!!

sueisallaboutquilts 05-18-2010 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by sunkistmi
I keep thinking that I must be a terrible disappointment to him as a wife. He doesn't even have 1 room in the entire house that doesn't have my stuff in it. The main bathroom isn't even clean now that it has the momma kitty and her 4 babies in it. He has been so patient with me throughout the 21 surgeries, 3 cancers and terrible judgements with overspending but he continues to hang on for 36 years. I am very lucky and blessed. It's like I want to do it really bad but have no energy or 'oomph' to do it. I make all these resolutions to "get my butt in gear" then wake up the next day in pain and no energy to get moving. I'm hoping when they fry the nerves in my back tomorrow (using radio waves) it will help with the pain control. It seems like it just never ends. Please understand, I'm not whining, although I guess it really sounds like I am. I know there are so many out there in MUCH worse situations than I am. It's just that some days, I have to look harder to find them. I consider myself very blessed when I really sit down and review my life. This board, in so many ways, has been a lifeline somedays when there has just been no one else I could talk to. Thank you, each and every one of you, for your posts and words of encouragement. Well, back to work. That is the real problem, I could, and have, spent the whole day on here rather than doing what I'm supposed to be doing, lol. That's one of my other problems, no willpower. I'm such a wimp!
Wendy B

Wendy honey- you are way too hard on yourself. And you sound depressed too :( No surprise if you are with all that'sbeen going on. Try to be kinder and less critical of yourself. Baby steps work. I also had a thought- is there anyone you could enlist to help you?? I wish I could :)

amazon 05-18-2010 07:09 AM

Wendy B , Thanks for the motivation to get myself moving. I have been sitting here battling w/myself( wanting to read post /needing to clean house).When I saw this post i just had to check it out. I'm glad I'm not alone it this struggle. Yes it is Doable!!!!!I have finished 4 quilts in a month&half,all I did was dishes, laundry and clean bathrooms, just to maintain. Big mistake, am paying for it now. The big picture seems overwhelming and it was for a couple of days, but I have been working at it one room at a time- this is how I do it( keep in mind we are a family of 6) I start with 4 containers - I use tall laundry baskets I label them- Trash-Keep- Donate- and Other Rooms,, it's amazing what a little sign can do to make the job easier, I start in one corner and drop items in appropriate bin, working with the 2 second rule( you can finalize when you take a break) I work min. of 15mins,stop, check for full basket, if full put in place(I don't leave them sitting in the room I'm working in, for instance the donate pile I bag and go put it in my truck to drop off on the way to pick up kids, that way it doesn't end up back in the house. 15 more mins, break, put on a load of laundry or fold a load or spray down the bathrooms. You get the idea.Out of 12 rooms I have 3 done and one ready to dust , sweep and mop. I was really blown away with what 6 people can do to a house in a month& half. What I learned from this quilting marathon is SPEND THAT HOUR AND CLEAN HOUSE!An hour is usually all it takes to put everything to rights when I clean regularly, but I was so worried about making the deadline and not disappointing anyone that I ended up diappointing myself. So take it easy on yourself and remember slow and steady wins the race!!!!!! And yes it is DOABLE!!!!!!P.S. One more post and I am getting off and grab that duster , broom and mop :oops: Thanks again for the spur :thumbup: