Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Clash between my two favorite things! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/clash-between-my-two-favorite-things-t107761.html)

CarrieAnne 03-15-2011 04:56 AM

I have a hard time with gloves too, they always slip off! Try putting some plain old vasaline on your hands at night, with socks over them. Sleep that way, and when you wake up, your hands will be SO soft!

redturtle 03-15-2011 05:04 AM

1 cup sugar to 1/4 cup olive oil...scrub/rub your hands for 5 min(put in fridge to preserve until next time)

use bagbalm/uddercream when its really bad

and if you can stand it...find a lotion containing shea butter slather and glove your hands overnite

DogHouseMom 03-15-2011 05:11 AM

Corn Huskers solution. My father's hands (a plumber) used to get REALLY bad. He would slather his hands in either Corn Huskers or Vasoline then put a tube sock over them before going to bed. By the time he woke up they were in great shape.

MrsM 03-15-2011 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
Right now i am enjoying spring and getting my garden started. Feels wonderful playing in the dirt! We just picked the last of last year's cabbage today. My only problem is my hands. Gardening makes them so dry and scratchy. I hate wearing gloves too. Then I come inside and try to touch fabric (after I've washed of course ;-) ) and they are so icky! They catch the fabric and it just feels terrible. So any other gardeners out there what lotion do you like? I just don't think I can stand to wear gloves while I play...plus I have tried several times and always end up loosing them after a few times.

I remember when I use to paint my art teacher advised us to use a cream that coated your hands like a doctor's glove. Perhaps that would help you as well? You can buy it in the art section of some department stores or go to an art shop.

Jan in VA 03-15-2011 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by redturtle
1 cup sugar to 1/4 cup olive oil...scrub/rub your hands for 5 min(put in fridge to preserve until next time)

How am I gonna get the refrigerator door open again if I've preserved my hands in there for "next time"? Inquiring minds need to know! Not only that, I hate it when my hands are cold, makes me cold all over, doesn't it you? :lol:

Jan in VA

Carrie 03-15-2011 08:24 AM

Hi and welcome. I too get rough hands and these suggestions sound great.

Rabs 03-15-2011 08:27 AM

I also do not like to wear gloves, and working outside my hands get pretty beat up. They also get chapped because of washing them so much at work. A friend of mine does Mary Kay and gave me their product called "satin hands" it works really well!

mypatookis 03-15-2011 08:43 AM

I use a product called Gloves in a Bottle. It is a shielding lotion. It says, "like an invisible pair of gloves" I like it. I found it at my LQS.

ginnie6 03-15-2011 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA

Originally Posted by redturtle

How am I gonna get the refrigerator door open again if I've preserved my hands in there for "next time"? Inquiring minds need to know! Not only that, I hate it when my hands are cold, makes me cold all over, doesn't it you? :lol:

Jan in VA

actually I can take my hands being cold...its my feet that get to me. Once they're cold I'm cold and grumpy!!

ginnie6 03-15-2011 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rabs
I also do not like to wear gloves, and working outside my hands get pretty beat up. They also get chapped because of washing them so much at work. A friend of mine does Mary Kay and gave me their product called "satin hands" it works really well!

ooh dd has some of that! and the olive oil and sugar is definitely do-able.