Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cleaning ceramic tile floors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cleaning-ceramic-tile-floors-t242866.html)

G'ma Kay 03-10-2014 09:28 AM

I use a steam mop on my tile.

Onebyone 03-10-2014 09:42 AM

I have ceramic tile with light grout and I use Bruce's Floor cleaner for ceramic tile. No streaks and it leaves a glossy shine on the tile that has shine. One room has more matte finish tile white with white grout and the cleaner does a great job with it. I find I don't have to clean the ceramic tile very much though, a good vacuuming is all it needs for daily up keep.

pasovasz 03-10-2014 10:30 AM

A friend told me to use ONLY WATER to clean my ceramic tile floors or else you would have streaks. The cleaning products build up then you have to strip the floors to start over.
You can use warm/ht water and let it sink into the dirt. Wipe up with a bath towel, turning the towel often to use a clean part. clean floor = dirty towel

Latrinka 03-10-2014 10:45 AM

I use the Hoover FloorMate, hard floor cleaner, love it!

Tazz 03-10-2014 10:56 AM

Just for the grout I sprayed Spray Nine on it with a little brush to scrub and wipe away with a little water. I was amazed how the grout came up light beige just like new some 28 years ago when it was first laid. I had a large hallway and it didn't take too long to do, just hour and half. Then I sealed it but I think I will do more than three coats.

Dollyo 03-10-2014 11:35 AM

The best thing that I have found for cleaning grout is the new Kaboom w/bleach. I have silver grey grout w/my light grey marble look porcelain tile. Spray it on, I use a scrub brush on the grout, no waiting, and beautiful again. I do this several times a year for a deep clean. The rest of the time, I use my Swiffer mop.

IBQUILTIN 03-10-2014 02:20 PM

I have the SHARK steam cleaner and it works wonderfully. I always use a light spray of something around the stove, but otherwise just plain old steam and it is fast and easy

rae_of_sunshine 03-10-2014 02:48 PM

I have used Armstrong Once & Done for years, no rinse just mop. We have tile now in kitchen and vinyl in our living room and still use it. When I had my white & blue vinyl, on a really dirty spot, I would spray ahead of time, let it soak until I got to whipping up that spot.

MCH 03-10-2014 03:13 PM

Two words -- steam mop.
Now, the remainder: I have ceramic tile and quartz tile...have used the sponge mop / rag mop / bucket of water with "you name it" and it was always a MESS! Got the steam cleaner ... problem solved. Be sure to use distilled water. The floor and the grout look great.

When my grandson was a little one crawling, and even now as he's 2 1/2 and quite stable on his feet, I always steam the tiles before he arrives. That way, I know he won't get any cleaning product residue on his sweet little hands. Mud the dogs dragged in, perhaps. But no cleaning product residue.

BTW, I have an Australian Aussie and a mutt, neither of which I can train to wipe their feet before they come into the house. Ha!

mommafank 03-10-2014 04:08 PM

I had all ceramic tile in my last house. I just used a mild dish soap. I usually did them on my knees as that is my preferred method of scrubbing. My daughter uses a steam mop and says it is the best thing she has ever used to clean her tile. I only jumped in here to say that I discovered that Windex is amazing to clean the grout if it gets grimy. I would spray some on, use a brush then use just water to wipe it clean.