Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning ceramic tile floors

Blog Entries

Cleaning ceramic tile floors

I'm having issues cleaning my tile floors. Yesterday I have use vinegar, hot water, 1tablespoon dish soap & washing soda mix in a bucket. Use a sponge mop and by the time it was dry there was white spots, streaks and the floor still felt dirty, to the point that you could not slide around with just your socks. SOOOO today I re cleaned just a few areas just with hot water & vinegar, and it was worse. The streaks were gone but you still could not scoot around in your socks. What am I doing wrong or does anyone have a great solution to get a clean look and feel.
    Thank you
    God bless

I will be watching this thread for answers as i have a similar problem. Your floor cleaning solution sounds like the one i was going to try, but probably not now. I've been using pine Sol and the grout is still dirty. I can't get down and scrub it either
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Blog Entries
    Well, we live in Dallas area and we have Mexican Tile in our kitchen and partly in Den. I used a dark grout, but we sealed it with 20 year sealant and we just mop with murphys soap. Or a little dawn.

We have ceramic porcelain tile thru out our house. I vacuum and then I mop with a small amount of dawn or pine sol mixed with water. Tiles are brown with dark brown grout. Our tile is not slick even when wet. Besides who wants to be like Tom Cruise and slide across the floor in white socks and briefs...lol.
    Linda

Power Poster
    My DDIL uses one of those steam mops to do all her ceramic tile floors.

Blog Entries
    Do you know exactly what your tiles are made of? Are these new floors or old floors? I ask because I think cleaning methods vary depending on the composition of your tiles.

I use a steam mop twice a week (I have a lot of tile flooring). Seems to work ok for us. But occasionally the grout needs a little more attention which is a huge task.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Kitten View Post
    I'm having issues cleaning my tile floors. Yesterday I have use vinegar, hot water, 1tablespoon dish soap & washing soda mix in a bucket. Use a sponge mop and by the time it was dry there was white spots, streaks and the floor still felt dirty, to the point that you could not slide around with just your socks. SOOOO today I re cleaned just a few areas just with hot water & vinegar, and it was worse. The streaks were gone but you still could not scoot around in your socks. What am I doing wrong or does anyone have a great solution to get a clean look and feel.
    Thank you

Blog Entries
    A steam cleaner seems to do a pretty good job of cleaning grout. There are some videos on Youtube that demonstrate this. (It won't necessarily get out stains, but it does a good job of getting out dirt!) Once grout is clean, I believe it's a good idea to seal the grout.

Blog Entries
    In UK my mothers friend used to clean the church tiled floors on her knees with fairy soap a scrubbing brush and wipe clean. Those tiles always had a lovely shine. Not sure about the sock part as the church isle not the place to try.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I use normally use Mr. Clean or Pinesol or any other commercial floor cleaning product. Dilute in a bucket of water and use a sponge mop. We have darker tile with a dark grout. Sealed the grout with a silicon based product. 10 coats (yes 10!) of that stuff with a kiddie paint brush but well worth it. It's been over 20 years and you can still see the seal on the grout an no dirt!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for all of the suggestions. I do have a Hann steam cleaner. I will try that to see if this will make a difference. I do not have an issue with the grout it is just the tile it's self.
    God bless

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Kitten View Post
    Thank you for all of the suggestions. I do have a Hann steam cleaner. I will try that to see if this will make a difference. I do not have an issue with the grout it is just the tile it's self.
    Same thing with me, It is not the grout that is a problem but some of the tiles that seems dull and not sparkling

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by helou View Post
    Same thing with me, It is not the grout that is a problem but some of the tiles that seems dull and not sparkling
    Same here. We put ceramic tile in our great room thinking it would be easy to clean. I was told to vaccum the tile then mop with water and vinegar, nothing else. The tile looks ok except where the sun shines on it, then you can see tons of streaks. It is embarrassing! I have even used two buckets, one with the water/vinegar and one with clear water to rinse, but that didn't help. I hope someone has a solution for us here!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Blog Entries
    could it be that your water is hard and that is what is leaving the streaks?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I have a steam cleaner and it does a wonderful job on that film but, it doesn't immediately get the film up. Mine takes several times with the steam to finally lift the film. Mine is a shark steam cleaner. For the grout, about once a year I use scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush. I work in small sections and don't try to get it all done at once. When we moved into our house I had my husband convinced that the grout was brown. A few days later he mentioned, Why is it gray next to the wall? Oops.

I found the best way to clean my ceramic tile floors was to simply sweep or vacuum thoroughly first then use a mild detergent in a bucket of hot water (and I keep the cleaner on the light side - too much is the main cause of cloudiness and streaks on your floors when you are done.) Also, make sure you are not using a sponge mop - it just pushes dirt and grime into your grout. I use a chamois-type mop and it works great!

I also use my steam mop to clean them about every second or third cleaning and that does a great job too!

Hope this helps some!

Without knowing if your tiles are terracotta or glazed etc. It is difficult to advise. I use a steam mop on mine and have good results.

My tile is a light beige tonal ceramic tile and the grout is epoxy grout. This grout doesn't stain so no sealing is required. It is light like the tile- or at least it was. Now it is darker and I know it's because it is dirty. I mop all the time and it doesn't seem to get clean. I want to see if the rental place has a steam cleaner for tile floors and try that.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    I do the same but then rinse with clear water after scrubbing. I use a narrow brush found at the local grocery store in cleaning supplies. It is hard work and can only do about 20 sq. feet at a time. I am hoping that some day I will get it all done at once and reseal it. My tile is ceramic with beige sanded grout. Don't like it much and have a lot of it. It is needed where I live as we are on a farm and the floor gets scrubbed once or twice a day. I am a barefoot girl and don't like dirty floors to walk on. My steam mop does a better job on the tile than the grout. It just does not get down in the seams very well. Scrubbing Bubbles does a nice job but be careful as when it is still wet it is very slick!

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    I have a steam cleaner and it does a wonderful job on that film but, it doesn't immediately get the film up. Mine takes several times with the steam to finally lift the film. Mine is a shark steam cleaner. For the grout, about once a year I use scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush. I work in small sections and don't try to get it all done at once. When we moved into our house I had my husband convinced that the grout was brown. A few days later he mentioned, Why is it gray next to the wall? Oops.

I, too, have problems getting my tile floors clean. Regardless what I use, I have streaks. I have a steam mop and numerous other kinds and nothing seems to work really well. I am anxiously following everyone's comments hoping to find a magic solution.

Thank goodness I only have white ceramic tile in front of the front door. I use the wet swiffer cloths to clean it. They clean it hust fine. I use to mop floors on my hands and knees, now just use swiffer wet cloths.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    My husband had a carton of coke cola in on the floor in my pantry. One of the cans broke and ran in the group lines. My tile is while and the grout was white but had gotten dirty looking. Where the cole ran when cleaned up the grout was as white as new. This is all I can tell you.

An old toothbrush and mouthwash...dollar store brand or Listerine or any of the others will clean the grout in tile floors.

I have had semi-shiny light tan ceramic floors in the main part of my home. I sweep, spray with Windex or homemade Windex and mop with a damp (not wet) microfiber mop. I start out in a corner and mop away from it backing up. If it was really dirty I rinse my mop and damp mop again. You have to let the floor dry before you walk on it or it will leave footprints. It only takes a few minutes to dry. This is the only way that I can come out with a clean, not cloudy floor. I have done this for over 35 years and my floors look great. I have never sealed my grout. I chose a dark stained grout in the beginning and have never needed to seal it.

Steam cleaner and water.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast