Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning ceramic tile floors

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    Just tried the listrine, brush and rinse. Did not work as well as Scrubbing bubbles but smelled much better. Also was sticky before rinsing with water and steaming. But is does smell great! I will keep watching for more ideas. I am about to call in the professionals and then seal. Has anyone had professional steaming done on their tile floors?

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    I just tried the Listerine, brush, water and mopping with steam and water after. Did not do as well as Scrubbing Bubbles but sure did smell better. It was also sticky until I damp mopped and steamed. I am about to call in the professional steamers. Has anyone used a professional steam cleaner and did it work. Then I could seal the whole thing again all at once. Then again maybe I should have started this cleaning job 3 years ago. Seems to have gotten much worse lately..ummmm wonder if the neighbors dog coming in and out several times a day has anything to do with it! Little kids are gone except summers but the adults are still here. Can't complain they are mine and they do help me a lot. If they don't get here in a timely manner I just lean a ladder up on the gutters and they find time right away. LOL

I clean houses for others. Use vinegar, for mirrors, 1/2 water/1/2 vinegar in spray bottle). I wash floors on my hands and knees. Soda works for stains on counter tops, and of course, Miracle II products.

The tile guy told me to use vinegar/water/peroxide mix and that works well. DH doesn't like my vinegar mix and he bought a steam cleaner that seems to work well.

My last house has ceramic floors in the kitchen. I used anything I had to clean them. Pine Sol, Mop and glo, Shakley products, even Dawn dish soap. They were clean but not the grout. The grout started to look brown. So the give it a good clean and to whiten the grout I used half bucked HOT water and put in a good measure or two of Oxiclean powder. I used a deck cleaning brush on handle and scrubbed the floor. Then rinsed with clear water. The floor and grout was white and very clean again. This doesn't have to be done every time. I found I only had to do it every 3-4 months. With animals and shoes I cleaned the floor every several days. I never had any issues with the floor being slippery.

I use a steam mop on my tile.

I have ceramic tile with light grout and I use Bruce's Floor cleaner for ceramic tile. No streaks and it leaves a glossy shine on the tile that has shine. One room has more matte finish tile white with white grout and the cleaner does a great job with it. I find I don't have to clean the ceramic tile very much though, a good vacuuming is all it needs for daily up keep.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

A friend told me to use ONLY WATER to clean my ceramic tile floors or else you would have streaks. The cleaning products build up then you have to strip the floors to start over.
    You can use warm/ht water and let it sink into the dirt. Wipe up with a bath towel, turning the towel often to use a clean part. clean floor = dirty towel

I use the Hoover FloorMate, hard floor cleaner, love it!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    Just for the grout I sprayed Spray Nine on it with a little brush to scrub and wipe away with a little water. I was amazed how the grout came up light beige just like new some 28 years ago when it was first laid. I had a large hallway and it didn't take too long to do, just hour and half. Then I sealed it but I think I will do more than three coats.

The best thing that I have found for cleaning grout is the new Kaboom w/bleach. I have silver grey grout w/my light grey marble look porcelain tile. Spray it on, I use a scrub brush on the grout, no waiting, and beautiful again. I do this several times a year for a deep clean. The rest of the time, I use my Swiffer mop.
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman in Red Horse Squadron"
    "Proud Grandparent of an American Air Force SERE"

I have the SHARK steam cleaner and it works wonderfully. I always use a light spray of something around the stove, but otherwise just plain old steam and it is fast and easy

I have used Armstrong Once & Done for years, no rinse just mop. We have tile now in kitchen and vinyl in our living room and still use it. When I had my white & blue vinyl, on a really dirty spot, I would spray ahead of time, let it soak until I got to whipping up that spot.
    RJ

MCH
    Two words -- steam mop.
    Now, the remainder: I have ceramic tile and quartz tile...have used the sponge mop / rag mop / bucket of water with "you name it" and it was always a MESS! Got the steam cleaner ... problem solved. Be sure to use distilled water. The floor and the grout look great.

When my grandson was a little one crawling, and even now as he's 2 1/2 and quite stable on his feet, I always steam the tiles before he arrives. That way, I know he won't get any cleaning product residue on his sweet little hands. Mud the dogs dragged in, perhaps. But no cleaning product residue.

BTW, I have an Australian Aussie and a mutt, neither of which I can train to wipe their feet before they come into the house. Ha!
    MCH aka PansyRose
    "Any day that you get see the morning, you've got work to do and a blessing to be."

Blog Entries
    I had all ceramic tile in my last house. I just used a mild dish soap. I usually did them on my knees as that is my preferred method of scrubbing. My daughter uses a steam mop and says it is the best thing she has ever used to clean her tile. I only jumped in here to say that I discovered that Windex is amazing to clean the grout if it gets grimy. I would spray some on, use a brush then use just water to wipe it clean.
    Mary
    Mary
    Quilts cover us with warmth and love!
    Make quilts not war

Reading all this has worn me out! Only one response was the same as mine- Swiffer products. Sometimes I use Pine Sol but most of the time I use the Swiffer WetJet or wet cloths. They work fine.

I was told when the house was built with the tile that every 6 mos you should use the vinegar on the floor and in between all you need to do is water to keep clean. The grout of course is a different matter I had someone come in and give me a price and he said you'll probably want to do it yourself. He said Home Depot has the thin brush and the stuff to clean it. I also tried a little brush with the clorox cleaner and the dirt comes off good except it will take a while to do and then seal it. I like the sound of the silicon based product so you don't have to keep doing it. I think if you use to many things on the floor maybe that's why your having a problem. We've had our tile over 20 yrs and it's just the grout that's messy looking on a white floor. I haven't been able to do the grout yet. Good luck with the vinegar and maybe try cooler water. Sue.

I have an even bigger tile problem.

When I removed the square carpet under the dining table, the tile border is much darker then where the carpet was.

How would I get all the tiles back to the same color?
    Carol

I have laminate and porcelain tiles throughout my house. Last year I bought the Hoover Floor Mate, a machine that vacuums, washes then dries with the flip of a knob. For the grout, I pretreat with Zep grout cleaner (in the cleaning section of Home Depot). That stuff is AMAZING!! For cleaning the floors I simply use white vinegar/hot water in the machine with a capful of Hoover's floor cleaning solution. Treat yourself to this machine - it's worth its weight in gold!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    could it be that your water is hard and that is what is leaving the streaks?
    I don't think so, we have an elaborate filter system to remove rust, lime,etc. I will try a gallon of bottled water on a spot to see if it makes a difference...
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

If anyone is considering installing new tile or taking out the old grout and putting new in, I had a bathroom tub surround done with Laticrete Spectralok. It is non-sanded, NEVER molds or mildews and looks fantastic. It's pricey but no further work as far as keeping itliiking nice. If anyone wants a pic, please PM me with your personal email address. NO I have no affiliation with any of these products. For my home office, I installed the tile myself and used Fusion Pro. It was a brand new product that was supposed to rival LS. It comes in a bucket premixed and super easy to to work with. the floor furned out nicely. Yesterday after reading these posts, it reminded me that I had a small area still needing to be completed so I got out the Fusion & finished up. It looks really good.

My kitchen and dining room grout look bad, so in my Spring cleaning frenzy I'm going to work on it.

Original Windex has ammonia and that will weaken the grout over time, make it crumble.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmom View Post
    I will be watching this thread for answers as i have a similar problem. Your floor cleaning solution sounds like the one i was going to try, but probably not now. I've been using pine Sol and the grout is still dirty. I can't get down and scrub it either
    Regarding dirty grout (I haven't had the problem with the top, just the grout): a friend introduced me to good old baking soda -- straight from the box. Sprinkle it on the grout, use a brush w/water to make a paste that works into the grout and cleans it up. It works, it really does -- even on the "misses" in the bathroom where we have white tile and white grout.

Blog Entries
    I have one of the steam mops too and just love it on my laminate floors too. So easy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Kitten View Post
    I'm having issues cleaning my tile floors. Yesterday I have use vinegar, hot water, 1tablespoon dish soap & washing soda mix in a bucket. Use a sponge mop and by the time it was dry there was white spots, streaks and the floor still felt dirty, to the point that you could not slide around with just your socks. SOOOO today I re cleaned just a few areas just with hot water & vinegar, and it was worse. The streaks were gone but you still could not scoot around in your socks. What am I doing wrong or does anyone have a great solution to get a clean look and feel.
    Thank you

I was told to only clean with water, you don't eat on the floor and as soon as you put your shoes on the floor there are germs. Mine always look great. (almost always)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast