Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do rugs stain ceramic tile? >

Do rugs stain ceramic tile?

Do rugs stain ceramic tile?

Old 07-13-2014, 11:28 AM

Default Do rugs stain ceramic tile?

We will be moving into our new house at end of this month. I have never had ceramic tile before, just vinyl. I have seen areas on vinyl that have been discolored by having a rug on top and was wondering if ceramic tile does the same, or if it affects the color of the grout. I would think not but don't want to take a chance until I hear from the "been there, done that" crowd. LOL Thanks.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
We will be moving into our new house at end of this month. I have never had ceramic tile before, just vinyl. I have seen areas on vinyl that have been discolored by having a rug on top and was wondering if ceramic tile does the same, or if it affects the color of the grout. I would think not but don't want to take a chance until I hear from the "been there, done that" crowd. LOL Thanks.

I have rugs with a rubber backing on my tile floors and have had for over 15 years and the rugs have Never stained the tile. I have Vinyl in my utility room and had a rubber backed rug in there one time and it stained the vinyl....but once the rug was removed it took a long time for the stain to go away.
Also the rugs on my tile floor do Not stain the grout...but my grout is sealed.

That being said I do Not know if all tile is the same......you said it is a New home so I assume you have had it built...that you chose the tile you wanted.....you should be able to ask the company that you got your tile from or the company that is installing it. I would be asking to be for certain....since tile is Not cheap to replace.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:09 PM

I have glazed floor tiles with sealed grout.....no problems with staining from throw rugs. Have had tiles and rugs since 2008.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

If you Google, you will find that "ceramic" tile is a generic name, covering quite a few different compositions. Porcelain tile is the strongest, most durable form of ceramic tile. The other types vary in permeability, etc.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:34 AM

Some vinyl will yellow on the spots that get alot of sunshine. When I pick up my rugs what is underneath is OK and it is the surrounding areas that got "sunburned". I now have regular old linoleum. I have never had a problem with my ceramic tile floor in my entry way but than not all flooring is the same,
Old 07-14-2014, 04:13 AM

Thank you for your replies. I will try to find the manufacturer of the tiles and see if there are any precautions they recommend.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I have never had a problem
Old 07-14-2014, 05:28 AM

I had ceramic tile installed 14 years ago, and have rubber-backed throw rugs at the back entry, kitchen sink, and a non-backed 8 x 10 in an eating area. There has been no discoloration whatsoever in the tile (quite inexpensive tile, I might add) or the grout due to the various rugs. That being said, you will find if the grout is a medium or light shade, it will over time become soiled where there is the most traffic or it isn't covered with a rug. It remains pristine where it's covered. I put two coats of sealer on my tile, which is what was recommended on the container. It worked pretty well over the years. However, I recently read where it's even better to put multiple coats of sealer on (they said ten).
Guess it couldn't hurt. Think I would go with five. Tedious but well worth it. My comments apply to sanded grout only, I've never dealt with the silicon grout which they say doesn't stain. I'd like to hear comments about silicon grout, as well.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:43 AM

Have no experience with rugs on tile. I will say, however, that when we installed our (sealed) ceramic flooring in our kitchen, the tile store said to seal the grout with 10 coats of the sealer (as heronlady mentions). I did that tedious job but trust me when I say it has paid off wonderfully. It is 20+ years later and that sealer is still doing it's job. Doesn't hurt that we used a dark brown grout - which I still love and would not change. But, the grout is still shiny, indicating it is still there and doing it's job. Nothing stains my grout and clean up is a breeze.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:22 AM

I have rugs on ceramic tile that have had dogs "go potty" on them, and even with that additional liquid acid....all has always been well.