Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Clothing Protectors aka Adult Bibs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/clothing-protectors-aka-adult-bibs-t249917.html)

QuiltnNan 07-12-2014 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jean in Ohio13452 (Post 6797044)
This is Cute, Only question I have is about the Ribbon Ties. are they going through the Washer ok? if these are for a elderly person in a nursing home- everything gets washed in a Very Large Load Washer with other clothing etc on really Hot Water....

the ends are a little tattered, but they still look and work OK

Robbi5 07-13-2014 09:23 AM

Thanks you for sharing this! The elastic is a great idea. I'm a long term care nurse, and have been trying to think of an idea that didn't involve ties or velcro to accomidate different head sizes.

MargeD 07-13-2014 09:53 AM

What a fabulous idea. My DH and I could certainly use them, as while we're not in a "home" yet, we still manage to get part of our meals on our clothes, this would be great. Thanks for sharing this great idea.

LITTLEOLDME 07-13-2014 09:58 AM

Great idea, I made ones for babies using wash clothes, this would work great for adults, thanks for sharing.

JanieH 07-13-2014 01:30 PM

This is such a great idea! I frequently eat while sitting in my recliner (I am widowed) and usually throw a hand towel across my chest. These would be really nice and I would also have them ready for when I might really need them - hopefully a lloonngg time in the future - LOL!

Just had a thought - would be great to take to someone in the hospital that would be staying several days!

maviskw 07-14-2014 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6795726)
Look nice.I also want to see the back - and a small drawing of the pattern - if you are willing to share it.

Remember the bibs for babies that were made from the little fingertip towels that had a hole cut in them and ribbing and they went over baby's head? They were great - unless the bib got really really gooey.

I've made many of these with the ribbing at the neck, and my daughter loved them for her day care. Kids can't pull them off. And if they get "really really gooey", roll them up from the bottom before you take them off over the head.

maycharlie 05-01-2017 11:13 AM

Ok I said I would. YES, to a girl that is a church member and is getting married. Happy for her. she wants a bib to go over her wedding dress so she doesn't stain it.. going to a Italian Restaurant!!! I got on the internet this am and still on it.. PM I just didn't think, now why not, you ask, that there were so many ways to make one. Yes I need to make it.. her budget hasn't got the cash in it t buy. So, me and my mouth say yes.. I need help ladies. Please let me know what web site offers a free easy pattern. Thanks so much. I'm thinking about suede like microfiber fabric???

QuiltnNan 05-01-2017 12:09 PM

great idea. they look nice

bearisgray 05-02-2017 12:07 PM

If you aren't overly worried about "looking nice" - I would go with inexpensive terry towels -

If you do cut-outs for the neck - bind them with bias binding.

Or you could do like the dental offices do - use a rectangle and then clips that fasten it to the garment.

bearisgray 05-02-2017 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by maycharlie (Post 7815274)
Ok I said I would. YES, to a girl that is a church member and is getting married. Happy for her. she wants a bib to go over her wedding dress so she doesn't stain it.. going to a Italian Restaurant!!! I got on the internet this am and still on it.. PM I just didn't think, now why not, you ask, that there were so many ways to make one. Yes I need to make it.. her budget hasn't got the cash in it t buy. So, me and my mouth say yes.. I need help ladies. Please let me know what web site offers a free easy pattern. Thanks so much. I'm thinking about suede like microfiber fabric???

How much does that fabric cost?

How large does she want them?

One can get microtex cleaning cloths from cleaning supply companies. Bro-tex has them - I think they end up costing a little less if one buys them by the dozen.