Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Coffee stained cups (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/coffee-stained-cups-t301486.html)

SuzzyQ 12-11-2018 03:00 AM

Any excuse I guess. My (recently organized) church bought all new dishes and mugs etc for their renovated kitchen. Now they regret the white mugs... black doesn't show the coffee stains that are showing up now.

illinois 12-11-2018 04:13 AM

I threw away some old cups that I think were some of the first "melmac". The surface was gone. I did try bleaching first but it was like the stain was imbedded in that surface and they did not clean up. I'm not one to toss things without reason but these were disgusting, especially considering we were going to drink from them.

rjwilder 12-11-2018 04:54 AM

I live in FL and Lemi-shine is a life saver. I stock pile it because it's often hard to find in stock. If I get coffee stains I just use a few drops of bleach and fill the mugs with water and let them sit for a few hours. Then rise down the sink and bonus, clean drain pipes too!

Onebyone 12-11-2018 05:03 AM

A little bleach will remove stains from plastic ware too. My grandmother told me the stain is still there, it's just bleached of color. At least it's a disinfected stain.

coopah 12-11-2018 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Garden Gnome (Post 8174387)
The water in my area is so full of calcium that we have to use a dishwasher additive every load to avoid white film on everything. If we don't, the coating on inside the coffee cups attracts coffee stains. The coffee stains the calcium deposits, actually, so it is a big ugly mess.
The additive I use is called Lemi-shine. It is mostly citric acid. Vinegar also works, if you have calcium deposits in a big pot or tea pot. I could write an essay on Lemi-shine. I love it and sort of panic if I can't find it at Walmart, lol!

We have a lot of calcium, too, so we use Lemi-shine and it works well. We also invested in a water softener. But my teacups get stained and we treat them with a bit of bleach.

romanojg 12-11-2018 05:30 AM

I've heard people using denture cleaner

MarionsQuilts 12-11-2018 06:09 AM

steel wool - no chemicals, no bleach, nothing, just a bit of elbow grease!

nativetexan 12-11-2018 07:00 AM

the Church threw them away. they have too much money. you should go give them lessons. Comet would work as well. Powdered cleaner.

klswift 12-11-2018 07:26 AM

One of my childhood memories is every saturday morning coming down (late) the stairs into my grandmother's kitchen to a sink of hot water with a bit of bleach in it and all the teacups. We are scottish so a whole lot of tea drinking in our house and a whole lot of tea stains. So she just dipped all the cups in that water on saturday morning and everything was spotless.

MarleneC 12-11-2018 08:36 AM

This is what I do. A little Comet or other such cleaner works for me.

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 8174621)
the Church threw them away. they have too much money. you should go give them lessons. Comet would work as well. Powdered cleaner.