Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coffee stained cups

Coffee stained cups

A friend mentioned itís a waste and a shame, but her church threw away coffee stained cups because they didnít want to use them that way. A small amount of liquid chlorine bleach on a dish cloth will remove it right away. She was astounded.

Or Barkeeper's Friend. A waste, for sure.

Really a waste. So easy to clean either way mentioned
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    A bit of Dawn dish detergent will get rid of some stains. Like the tad of bleach also.

Some baking soda paste would take care of the problem, also.

Quote Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
    Some baking soda paste would take care of the problem, also.
    that's what I use.

Also, for what it's worth, plastic containers stained by tomato sauce are greatly improved by spending the day outside in direct sunlight. Just make sure they don't blow away.

The water in my area is so full of calcium that we have to use a dishwasher additive every load to avoid white film on everything. If we don't, the coating on inside the coffee cups attracts coffee stains. The coffee stains the calcium deposits, actually, so it is a big ugly mess.
    The additive I use is called Lemi-shine. It is mostly citric acid. Vinegar also works, if you have calcium deposits in a big pot or tea pot. I could write an essay on Lemi-shine. I love it and sort of panic if I can't find it at Walmart, lol!

I agree. A complete waste. I don't know how they work on coffee stains, but the Mr Clean Magic Eraser takes all the tea stains out of my pitchers quickly and easily.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Power Poster
    Good grief! I often use a little bleach to clean coffee and tea stains from cups. You would think they could have Googled it if they didn’t know how to clean them.

We live in a throw away world today. So easy to throw away and buy new. What a shame.

Any excuse I guess. My (recently organized) church bought all new dishes and mugs etc for their renovated kitchen. Now they regret the white mugs... black doesn't show the coffee stains that are showing up now.
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

I threw away some old cups that I think were some of the first "melmac". The surface was gone. I did try bleaching first but it was like the stain was imbedded in that surface and they did not clean up. I'm not one to toss things without reason but these were disgusting, especially considering we were going to drink from them.

I live in FL and Lemi-shine is a life saver. I stock pile it because it's often hard to find in stock. If I get coffee stains I just use a few drops of bleach and fill the mugs with water and let them sit for a few hours. Then rise down the sink and bonus, clean drain pipes too!

A little bleach will remove stains from plastic ware too. My grandmother told me the stain is still there, it's just bleached of color. At least it's a disinfected stain.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Gnome View Post
    The water in my area is so full of calcium that we have to use a dishwasher additive every load to avoid white film on everything. If we don't, the coating on inside the coffee cups attracts coffee stains. The coffee stains the calcium deposits, actually, so it is a big ugly mess.
    The additive I use is called Lemi-shine. It is mostly citric acid. Vinegar also works, if you have calcium deposits in a big pot or tea pot. I could write an essay on Lemi-shine. I love it and sort of panic if I can't find it at Walmart, lol!
    We have a lot of calcium, too, so we use Lemi-shine and it works well. We also invested in a water softener. But my teacups get stained and we treat them with a bit of bleach.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I've heard people using denture cleaner
    Judy

steel wool - no chemicals, no bleach, nothing, just a bit of elbow grease!

Blog Entries
    the Church threw them away. they have too much money. you should go give them lessons. Comet would work as well. Powdered cleaner.

Blog Entries
    One of my childhood memories is every saturday morning coming down (late) the stairs into my grandmother's kitchen to a sink of hot water with a bit of bleach in it and all the teacups. We are scottish so a whole lot of tea drinking in our house and a whole lot of tea stains. So she just dipped all the cups in that water on saturday morning and everything was spotless.

This is what I do. A little Comet or other such cleaner works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    the Church threw them away. they have too much money. you should go give them lessons. Comet would work as well. Powdered cleaner.

pal
    baking powder paste cleans everything and doesn't scratch - coffee stains, heel marks on floor, crayons on walls, white wall tires etc. It also eliminates odors.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Blog Entries
    I just drop a denture tablet in cups that have stains, and add my teeth. I rotate the cups so they are all nice and white. Two for one. Old people know great labor saving methods. Lol.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm a tea drinker and find that a dry paper towel does great getting the residual tea stain out of my teapot without any detergents, etc.

The Magic Eraser works great. I just used it on the inside of a coffee pot. Check out "One Good Thing by Jillee". She has a lot of tips & tricks most are DIY. Using toothpaste to shine up dull headlights.

I love Clorox Clean up! So easy to use, in a squirt bottle. Stains disappear!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast