Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Considering making my own bras (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/considering-making-my-own-bras-t267606.html)

NJ Quilter 07-15-2015 07:52 AM

Considering making my own bras

Since I just can't manage to find a bra that I like commercially available and/or reasonably priced, I'm considering making my own. Anyone here do this? And the thought just struck me while in the shower (isn't that when all great ideas occur?) that I could use an existing one that I DO like as a pattern vs purchasing a pattern and adapting.

I did a little surfing yesterday on the subject and it doesn't seem like it's an overly onerous project but I'd like to hear from others who do this if my mind is playing tricks on me. Are there particular suppliers that you would recommend vs others? Is it worth taking an online (or live if there is one locally) class or could I just manage to figure it out on my own?

Thanks in advance for any input/thoughts.

lynnie 07-15-2015 09:02 AM

good luck with it, made my own panties, but never a bra. good luck with it and please show us your progress, and hints.
I too wouldn't mind trying to make one. let us know where you get your supplies from too.

Tartan 07-15-2015 09:05 AM

I have a new favorite without wire from Walmart. It is pretty and about $20. I probably couldn't make it for much less. If you have a size that is hard to find or is really expensive then it might be worth it.

misspriss 07-15-2015 09:20 AM

Why do you feel you need to make your own? Many, many, styles out there..

Prism99 07-15-2015 09:26 AM

I couldn't manage a project like that. What I have learned to do is, when I find a bra I like, is to stock up on it so I don't have to go looking for at least ten years! :D

NJ Quilter 07-15-2015 09:36 AM

I've done the stocking up thing in the past as well. Alas, since I've not purchased new bras in quite a few years, the style I like - front clasp; underwire; demi cup - really is not readily available. I did try the latest version from Playtex but the back band is very tall. I don't find them comfortable at all. I feel like I'm wearing armor plating from the waist up! And it's really not that much about the price. If it cost me the $20 to make, I'm good with that. I refuse to pay $60-80 for a bra regardless of how much I may like it. And, honestly, haven't even seen any in that price range that I like.

My size is not that uncommon - 38C. But if you look at what's out there in that price range, they are all flipping enormous! And way more padding than someone wearing a 38C bra needs! I could probably actually use the band to be a bit more than the 38" to achieve a reduced 'bra fat' appearance as well.

MarLeClair 07-15-2015 10:07 AM

I too would like to make my own bra. Crafty had a class but I wasn't sure it would cover what I wanted. Let us know what you decide.

Onebyone 07-15-2015 10:34 AM

I don't see how a support bra can be good for anyone no matter how endowed. I quit wearing support bras decades ago. I wear lightweight sleep bras because they are comfortable and keep me contained. I really like the Geni bra. Most comfortable bra I have ever worn. I forget I have it on. Now that is a sign of a good bra. If I had to think I can't wait to get home and take off this bra I would throw it in the trash.

ptquilts 07-15-2015 11:32 AM

not making my own, but when you do find one you like, be sure to wash it in a lingerie bag, and never dry in the dryer. Treat it gently and it will last much longer. Especially important if you pay a lot for them.

bearisgray 07-15-2015 11:33 AM

You might consider having a bra fitting to see if you are actually wearing the proper size bra.

A 38C is still within the "normal" size range.