Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering making my own bras

Considering making my own bras

Since I just can't manage to find a bra that I like commercially available and/or reasonably priced, I'm considering making my own. Anyone here do this? And the thought just struck me while in the shower (isn't that when all great ideas occur?) that I could use an existing one that I DO like as a pattern vs purchasing a pattern and adapting.

I did a little surfing yesterday on the subject and it doesn't seem like it's an overly onerous project but I'd like to hear from others who do this if my mind is playing tricks on me. Are there particular suppliers that you would recommend vs others? Is it worth taking an online (or live if there is one locally) class or could I just manage to figure it out on my own?

Thanks in advance for any input/thoughts.

Blog Entries
    good luck with it, made my own panties, but never a bra. good luck with it and please show us your progress, and hints.
    I too wouldn't mind trying to make one. let us know where you get your supplies from too.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    I have a new favorite without wire from Walmart. It is pretty and about $20. I probably couldn't make it for much less. If you have a size that is hard to find or is really expensive then it might be worth it.

Why do you feel you need to make your own? Many, many, styles out there..

Blog Entries
    I couldn't manage a project like that. What I have learned to do is, when I find a bra I like, is to stock up on it so I don't have to go looking for at least ten years!

I've done the stocking up thing in the past as well. Alas, since I've not purchased new bras in quite a few years, the style I like - front clasp; underwire; demi cup - really is not readily available. I did try the latest version from Playtex but the back band is very tall. I don't find them comfortable at all. I feel like I'm wearing armor plating from the waist up! And it's really not that much about the price. If it cost me the $20 to make, I'm good with that. I refuse to pay $60-80 for a bra regardless of how much I may like it. And, honestly, haven't even seen any in that price range that I like.

My size is not that uncommon - 38C. But if you look at what's out there in that price range, they are all flipping enormous! And way more padding than someone wearing a 38C bra needs! I could probably actually use the band to be a bit more than the 38" to achieve a reduced 'bra fat' appearance as well.

I too would like to make my own bra. Crafty had a class but I wasn't sure it would cover what I wanted. Let us know what you decide.
    Marilyn

I don't see how a support bra can be good for anyone no matter how endowed. I quit wearing support bras decades ago. I wear lightweight sleep bras because they are comfortable and keep me contained. I really like the Geni bra. Most comfortable bra I have ever worn. I forget I have it on. Now that is a sign of a good bra. If I had to think I can't wait to get home and take off this bra I would throw it in the trash.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

not making my own, but when you do find one you like, be sure to wash it in a lingerie bag, and never dry in the dryer. Treat it gently and it will last much longer. Especially important if you pay a lot for them.

Power Poster
    You might consider having a bra fitting to see if you are actually wearing the proper size bra.

A 38C is still within the "normal" size range.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    You might consider having a bra fitting to see if you are actually wearing the proper size bra.

A 38C is still within the "normal" size range.
    Yes, have been fitted frequently over the last couple of years. Initially because I had lost a ton of weight but then after just to make sure. Every time I walk into a lingerie section in the store, I get measured before I even start looking.

I don't think I would attempt to sew my own bra, but I did buy one of those stretchy genie bras and it is so comfy and doesn't make unibooob.......I tried it because I had developed a rash under boobs from regular bra...oh what a relief this is! And first I thought I would get "stuck" trying to put on/take off...not true....great amount of stretch there! I think I'll buy a few more....

I signed up for the Crafty class and got the materials, BUT have not tried to make one yet. If I do make one I will post a picture of the creation.

Always get a person to help you get fitted. As you put it on bend forward at the waist and be sure the breast are is each cup. Then stand up, hook the back and adjust the straps.. If you have some that still comes out over the top try a larger cup. I worked in a lingerie dept for years and you know we have weight that shifts as we a. That's life!!

Blog Entries
    Many years ago,I made mine. I took an old one apart,making sure where the bias on the fabric was,got hook etc from JAF. I think it would be easier than paper piecing....
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Blog Entries
    I want one I can put on with a broken wrist! I'm sure lots of people still make their own, Good luck.

I just bought underwires from braessentials.com which have absolutely the best price I could find for wires. Plus about five dollars shipping but still the best price. And their sizes matched the old wires I saved from old ready to wear bras. They do not sell much else. For all the fabrics I will have to buy somewhere else. I hope to fit the pattern with these lovely quilt cottons and have batiks to wear every day.
    Kenmore: 158.14001 (still seeking its perfect name), 158.17011 ("Enterprise")

Blog Entries
    I broke both wrists. I purchased the genie bar or look at sports bras. They don't have a fastening and are very stretchy. You can pull over your head and adjust into place using finger ends as my thumbs also plastered. The problem came when the plaster cast came off. I spent a week with no bra as I had lost strength in the hands while in plaster. I still wear the sports bras as I find the ones which look like a bra not the ones with a centre back more comfortable than any other bra they are also padded I'm 36b
    Finished is better than a UFO

I took the Craftsy bra making class and now I have made 4 bras. I love them. They fit me and don't bother me anywhere. I will not want to buy off the shelf again. There is just such a difference. The first bra you make in the class is really for finding out what changes you may need to make for that perfect " for you" fit. Class is totally worth it!
    i bought my supplies through Canada. They had so much available vs what I could find in the U.S. https://www.bramakerssupply.com
    the first one I made was a kit. Since then I purchase all items needed in larger quantities.
    Last edited by Yakkity; 07-16-2015 at 01:57 AM.

A professional bra fitting is a must. It actually will save you time vs trying to find the right bra by trying all of them on. Yes, they are expensive (for good quality ones) but so worth the investment. Women look better in good fitting bras and clothing hangs nicer. I love Wacoal. $60/each and they last a few years as long as I continue to wash gentle in a lingerie bag and hang dry. I, personally, would not want the challenge of fitting a handmade bra. Plus, i love my underwires. I am a DD.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by Yakkity View Post
    I took the Craftsy bra making class and now I have made 4 bras. I love them. They fit me and don't bother me anywhere. I will not want to buy off the shelf again. There is just such a difference. The first bra you make in the class is really for finding out what changes you may need to make for that perfect " for you" fit. Class is totally worth it!
    i bought my supplies through Canada. They had so much available vs what I could find in the U.S. https://www.bramakerssupply.com
    the first one I made was a kit. Since then I purchase all items needed in larger quantities.
    Thanks for this review. I've read others on the Craftsy website but it's always nice to hear others. Did you get insight from the class for changing the style of the bra you were making as well? Most of the patterns I have seen do not inspire me particularly. I really like the style of bra that I have worn for decades but it just isn't made any more. I've been toying with the idea of just using the next worn out one as a pattern. And I did see the bramakerssupply site. It looks absolutely amazing.

I wish I was back to a 38C! Those were the good old days!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Try buying a bra when you're 42H/I. I buy my bras in Edmonton at Dawn's Bratique. Been buying there since 2005 - only place I've found that will adjust the bra to you not just find the closest fitting one. And the first one I bought cost $184 - for one! But I wore it for 5 years - with about two others. Now I buy two every time I go visit my DD & the grandkids - I live in rural SW Ontario. So I guess should count the cost of the flight too
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Hello! I make my own bras because of the great fit I am able to achieve. It's not a difficult and doesn't take long to make one. Craftsy has two bra-making classes, "Sewing Bras: Construction & Fit" and "Sewing Bras: Designer Techniques." I am currently enrolled in the construction and fit class. Beverly Johnson is a great teacher, and I am very happy with the results. If you wish to talk more about bras and the class, feel free to pm me.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Mine are from Walmart. I have tried the Genie and just about hung myself. It may be me but I also used to wear the underwire. They just irritated me and one time set off the TSA security alarm at the airport. I took it off right then and there and never looked back. They were surprised, I could take it off and not show any boobs. It was uncomfortable anyway. I used to belong to the 'Itty Bitty T**** Committee". Oh how I wish I could renew my membership.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast