Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Considering making my own bras

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    eight out of 10 women wear the wrong bra size. I donít know if they get fit at a young age and think that is their size for the rest of their life, or if they find a pretty bra and just assume it is correct, but when you are wearing the right bra and the right size Ö number one, your clothes look much better Ö you can look much younger Ö and you can look much thinner. The biggest mistake is a bra with a band that rides up a womanís back. This is an indication that the band, which offers 90 percent of the braís overall support, is too big. Instead, the bra should be parallel to your waistline. To avoid skipping out on the right amount of support, itís important to find your correct band and bra size. There are many store that have professionals to fit you for a bra. Try it. You just might feel good about the way you look.

I was wearing the wrong size bra, a 34DD, it was uncomfortable and I felt it just didn't fit right. I went to Macy's and Nordstroms and got fitted at both places. They both put me in a 32G! Yes the bras are expensive $68. but they are the most comfortable things I've ever worn, I look great and feel good. The other cheaper stores apparently didn't carry my size so they increased the band size and decreased the cup size. I've just learned that is called a "sister size". I call it the wrong size. So you might want to get fitted before you decided to sew your own to issue it will fit. I always wash my bras by hand and hang them to dry so they do last a long time.

D
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    ................Are there particular suppliers that you would recommend vs others? Is it worth taking an online (or live if there is one locally) class or could I just manage to figure it out on my own?
    NJ,

I make my own bras. I took a class locally and the fit wonderfully. I had never worn a wire before, but made them with the wire in the class. Wow, they look wonderful and fit perfectly. I made them quilte awhile ago and the lady I took the class from moved to Florida. She had learned to make/teach bra making from Beverly Johnson from Canada and also ordered supplies from Beverly for our class.

I recently saw the class on Craftsy and Beverly Johnson is the instructor. I purchased the class so I could make more bras, but felt I needed some "hand holding" because I had not made any for a long time. I watched Beverly's class and it felt like I was sitting in my class from before. I am getting anxious to make my new bras. I would also order from Beverly when I need new materials because the are very high quality.

I want to make the bras with the front closure this time. We'll see how that works for me.

Ellen

I was one of Beverly Johnson's first bra making students in 1997.

Sadly I have grown out of the one I made back then but I have purchases the craftsy class and have gone to her store to buy more information kits... and they have sat for a year.

There are more than 10 inches between my band size and my cup size making it impossible for me to shop anywhere but a specialty store... The last time I did that it cost $150.... and I out grew it in less than a year...

With the Canadian dollar in the dumper right now it makes it worth it for US customers to order from Bramakers. I am forutnate that I live about 30 min from the store.....

Maybe that will be my summer goal, finally make a bra or 2!!!!
    "I would change the world for you but I wouldn't change you for the world!"

Autism Speaks

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    not making my own, but when you do find one you like, be sure to wash it in a lingerie bag, and never dry in the dryer. Treat it gently and it will last much longer. Especially important if you pay a lot for them.
    This is the best advice. My "cheap" bras last a long, long time. I have a front loader, and found that bras really need to go into a mesh bag to wash. Too many straps get all tangled up.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Hi Roseville neighbor. I had breast cancer in 2001. Someone told me that my HMO would pay for my special bras at Nordstroms. So 4 bras and a foam pad later I was told that since I only had a lumpectame that they were not covered my HMO. Since I had been misinformed they did cover it one time. That was a year or more after my surgery. I am still using those same bras with an extender and shoulder pads. I am beginning to think about going back to Nordstroms. My weight has shifted. My healthy breast is fuller while my other has strunk and of course my waist is larger than 12-13 years ago but those 4 bras are still in pretty good shape. I wouldn't dare consider making a bra, my UFO pile is growing!
    Last edited by nanOmint; 07-16-2015 at 03:37 PM.
    Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of God!

I went to a lingerie shop and found a bra that fit properly and was comfortable. I bought only one and wore it for several days, to see if it was truly comfortable. Then I did some online research and ordered several more of the same style/size, for much cheaper.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I have made bikini bathing suits, but never a bra. Guess its cause I don't have anything to put in one I could use a 32AAA
    and still have room

I'm really leaning towards taking the Craftsy class at this point. I'm sure I could figure it out from one I have but from what I'm reading and hearing, there is lots of good info on fabrics, etc. as well in the class. I have seen one pattern that seems pretty close to the style I'm looking for but not sure if I should try to use that pattern or the one demonstrated for the class. I'm thinking I'll do the design class as well. Or, have any of you that have taken the design class - is there enough construction and/or fabric choice info to skip the construction class???

I'm thinking that for $100 outlay (2 classes; 2 patterns) I walk away with a lifetime skill to ultimately save lots of $$.

I have made my own bras in the past. Mostly for financial reasons. I think I got the patterns from Kwik Sew. If you have some worn ones that you love take them apart and make your own pattern. Best of luck to you!!
    Lynda

I have a nice pattern for the, but you can no longer find the right fabric to do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I couldn't manage a project like that. What I have learned to do is, when I find a bra I like, is to stock up on it so I don't have to go looking for at least ten years!
    Love this!!!

I buy mine on sale at Lane Bryant, when they have the buy one get one free deal. That way they only cost $25.00 each then. But they are so comfy, which is good cause I have to sleep with a bra on at night.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    ďIf you canít see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesnít exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,Ē .......Greg Biornstad

My mum always told me to buy good underwear and good shoes. Cheap versions of both can make the most expensive clothing look terrible whilst good versions will make the cheapest outfit look good. In the UK it is recommended you get measured every six months and that you start off with first hooks on the back, after a while you move up the hooks as the fabric stretches, by the time you get to the tightest hook it's time for a new bra as the fabric has stretched/washed out.

The last bra fitting I had done was just not right. The woman told me I wear a 40D. I couldn't even get it hooked around me. I went to a real lingerie store and the sales lady said I measure a 44DDD. It fits mostly, but the band is a bit snug, the next band size up is huge.
    I would love to make my own bras. It just pains me to pay $44 for 1 cotton no wire bra.
    Sharon

Good Luck, I would never attempt that because I hate bras. I am a member of the IBTC, so usually wear one, but can get by without. I've never even had an underwire, always thought they were already uncomfortable enough, then stick me with a piece of wire?! Nah!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    At my advanced age and with a changing body shape, I decided to go and be fitted by a store that ONLY sells bras and panties!! Oh, my! What a difference. I tried on about 15 different styles and the person who was fitting me stayed and hooked each one and adjusted the straps. I came home with two and can easily order more. They are not the brands you see at the chain stores. If you're lucky enough to have a store near you that does this...go! WOW! I'd been fitted at department stores, but this was nothing like this. I would not everr try to make one. Thanks, anyways!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I had the opportunity to be fitted at a My Intimacy shop. This is the group that has been on Oprah and they gave me a great fitting and I can wear under wires and they are comfortable. I measure a 32 C which isn't a size at target or Walmart or even Kohls. A 34 B is more common but it doesn't fit me correctly. Places like My Intimacy will also alter bras if necessary. Even though I am not "well endowed" I still wear a bra every day.
    Alyce

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I cant for the life of me believe that a five year old bra isn't stretched out, discolored, or that the hooks aren't messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by ro View Post
    I cant for the life of me believe that a five year old bra isn't stretched out, discolored, or that the hooks aren't messed up.
    i can attest to the fact that only after many years - more than 5 - on my first (good) bra did the straps finally stretch a little. It fit correctly and I washed it in a lingerie bad and didn't use the dryer. I get a few a year and rotate them around. They last a very long time. I have a fitting periodically and my size hasn't changed. The hooks are good on all my bras. To me this is cost effective. What would discolor a bra?
    Alyce

Size and fit is not my issue. I can easily wear a commercially available 38C bra with no fit discomfort/issue. My issue are the styles that are available. I want a front clasp; underwire bra. I want a thinner band than is available in this style than what is currently available. I don't want a t-back; racer-back. I want traditional-back straps. In the past, I've always bought the quantity of the style I liked that the store had in stock. This process has served me well for the last 30 years. Alas, the style I like just isn't made any longer and I'm finally depleting my stash at quite a rapid rate.

Auj
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    I don't think I would attempt to sew my own bra, but I did buy one of those stretchy genie bras and it is so comfy and doesn't make unibooob.......I tried it because I had developed a rash under boobs from regular bra...oh what a relief this is! And first I thought I would get "stuck" trying to put on/take off...not true....great amount of stretch there! I think I'll buy a few more....
    I think it must depend on the size you are whether you get a uni-boob or not. I love the comfort of the genie bras and usually wear two at a time for the extra support around the house only, but I am very large - 36 H - and I DO get the uni-boob! I found a bra at Bare Necessities.com that I do love and it is relatively comfortable, but it costs $99.00! AARRGGHH!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I don't see how a support bra can be good for anyone no matter how endowed. I quit wearing support bras decades ago. I wear lightweight sleep bras because they are comfortable and keep me contained. I really like the Geni bra. Most comfortable bra I have ever worn. I forget I have it on. Now that is a sign of a good bra. If I had to think I can't wait to get home and take off this bra I would throw it in the trash.
    Because it reduces the stress on the shoulders and the back. And when a person has a larger bust size, that extra weight in front puts great pressure on the muscles and skeleton. The pain can even radiate to the lower back. Some with back pains compensate by walking differently, thus pains in the feet, knees, and hips can occur. Not to mention tense jaws due to body pains, and then the headaches. I could never not wear a support bra. I am 5"3, large busted, and have scoliosis and fibromyalgia. The support bras are much more comfortable than not wearing any or a lightweight 'sleep' bra. No bouncing around for me....Just not worth it.

Power Poster
    I bough eight bras from Sears Outlet store. Playtex 18 hour bras. two for 6.00.

amh
    I can recommend Beverly Johnson's class on Craftsy. I never had a bra that fit prior to the class, and could not wear underwires at all. Now I have bras that fit and absolutely love underwires as they give me more support.

Beverley is just a great instructor and explains everything, absolutely everything. The first bra was made for fitting purposes, and it did not fit well, but I made the adjustments she suggested and the second one is so very comfortable. Now I have a basic pattern and have sewn a couple bras. I have registered for her second class when there was a craftsy sale. The second class includes all types of alterations and with it I'll be able to make all types of styles. Haven't yet made one with the alterations I want, but I know it will fit well and be comfortable.

I had one cut out prior to attending a quilt retreat and so wanted to finish it. Had such a good time at the retreat with everyone. There are so many of us who cannot find bras to fit.

I order all my supplies from Bra Supply, Beverley's shop in Ontario. If you have questions prior to ordering, the people who work there are very knowledgeable. I would advise you to order enough fabric for an additional bra so you can do your alterations and make a second one that really fits well right away. Her kits have enough fabric for two bras for me (42D), so order findings for two bras if you purchase kits.

Hope this helps.
    Aileen
    Saskatoon SK Canada

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast