Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Favorite Wrapping Paper

Favorite Wrapping Paper

I want to use wrapping paper for drawer liners so I need some heavier paper. Any one have a favorite place for buying?
    Linda

I seldom have to buy any, because I'm a gift wrap/bag hoarder! LOL! I have a whole little cedar chest FULL of nothing but gift wrapping boxes, paper, bags, bows, ribbons, and on and on! Anyway, I usually get mine at the dollar store if it's a special occasion I'm looking for. For Christmas, I buy after Christmas, and get it dirt cheap! Think I have enough for about 3 or 4 lifetimes! Have you thought about using contact paper? I like it cuz it sticks and can be wiped.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    Hallmark wrapping paper is generally thicker than the paper from the dollar stores. IMHO
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Costco does very thick, strong wrapping paper.

I bought a LARGE roll of wrapping paper years (maybe 10) ago at Sam's Club. I'm still using it; it's nice and heavy; has the lines on the back for cutting like Hallmark paper; was dirt cheap. Now when I say larger, I'm not talking enormous. It was certainly a larger circumference than most wrapping rolls but I didn't need a truck to move it. Who knew it was that nice!

dd
    From what I've seen, the Hallmark paper is much better. It doesn't tear on the corners like $store and Walmart paper does.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Blog Entries
    For drawers I like wallpaper. It is heavy too and doesn't slip around in the drawer. The rolls are large and can be picked up pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jothesewer2 View Post
    For drawers I like wallpaper. It is heavy too and doesn't slip around in the drawer. The rolls are large and can be picked up pretty cheap.

Never thought of wallpaper...our goodwill always had rolls dirt cheap.......but I like the scented drawer liner paper...the store sometimes has it, and I will buy and store til ready to freshen drawers...usually in spring....

dd
    How often are you supposed to replace shelf paper?
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Blog Entries
    I have used rolls of wall paper to line drawers. My bathroom drawers are lined with a textured vinyl found on clearance. It holds up so nicely, that I haven't had to replace it often.

For some reason -- duh -- I select wrapping paper with quilting designs for my bedroom dresser.

My sewing cabinet drawers are lined with non-slip toolbox liner purchased by the roll. The material is washable and notions stay put when opening or closing the drawer. I like to lay out my tools for quick visibility. Yes, I do have the Craftsman shallow drawer tool box on top of matching tool chest with casters! This might be non-traditional, but the storage space will easily be moved should I relocate.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Make your own. You could buy some butcher paper and paint quilt patterns. You could measure your drawers, cut the paper, put some weights on it to flatten it out. I use the non-skid shelf liner in my drawers. Hate things slipping all over the place.

Power Poster
    Rather then wrapping paper, I might look for a roll of clearance wall paper. It would be in a long length and nice and thick. Just a thought...

What about the dollar stores?

I use freezer paper with the shiny side up. It's heavy and easy to cut to size. The shiny side is also easy to wipe clean. I just started using an Elmers Washable school glue stick to tack the dull side of the paper down in a few places (front edge and corners) so it doesn't shift around. So far it's working great.

Power Poster
    I also use freezer paper - but with shiny side down.

Blog Entries
    Vinyl wallpaper is sturdy and wipeable. I've used it for years. Any store that sells it probably has remnant rolls. Or, Home Depot sells rolls.
    Sue

You guys have some great tips! Never thought about Sam's or Costo and will definitely look for wall paper too. Thanks!
    Linda