Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   "conventional" spelling (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/conventional-spelling-t270743.html)

bearisgray 10-05-2015 01:59 PM

"conventional" spelling

It evolves and changes -

I wonder what it will be like twenty years from now?

quilt1950 10-05-2015 02:07 PM

I remember, way back when I was in collage, I had a job interview. I could not remember if I interviewed with Mrs. Grey, or Mrs. Gray. I really fretted over that thank you. I must have guessed correctly, because I got the job.

But, no, I don't think we will ever have consistent rules. Our language is so influenced by our ancestors, who came from many countries.

Manalto 10-05-2015 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 (Post 7336851)
I remember, way back when I was in collage, I had a job interview. I could not remember if I interviewed with Mrs. Grey, or Mrs. Gray. I really fretted over that thank you.

I trust you used school paste for your collage and were able to easily pry yourself loose.

But seriously... the focus today seems more about making an impression in a vast sea of written messages than about being correct. I predict that gimmicks will continue to increase - they have the added advantage of disguising incompetent grammar.

BETTY62 10-06-2015 12:03 AM

You really can't expect very much from people who are in the very same room and send text messages back and forth to each other.

youngduncan 10-06-2015 03:13 AM

It seems to me that grammatical usage and "proper" English have gone by the wayside. I laughingly say that I am probably one of three people in the world who still cares about not splitting an infinitive. I taught four rules in my grammar classes for many years: 1) language changes; 2) change in language is a natural thing; 3) usage is relative; and, 4) usage is determined by an educated majority. I sometimes wonder where the educated majority is hiding. It really saddens me to see language totally dominated with LOL, OMG, etc., when we have such beautiful words we could/should be using.

sandy l 10-06-2015 03:32 AM

It seems to me a lot of the "proper" English that is getting lost is the ability to speak without half of the sentence is swearing.

ManiacQuilter2 10-06-2015 05:16 AM

I have a letter that my Great grandfather wrote when my grandmother was a child. Writing has certainly evolved along with the dictionary.

carolynjo 10-06-2015 05:16 AM

Oh, for another William F. Buckley! His use of the English was impeccable!

sparkys_mom 10-06-2015 05:37 AM

I know language and spelling have always evolved and always will. Still, it drives me up the wall to get an email that says something like "r u going to the movie?".

jbj137 10-06-2015 07:07 AM

*** I just wonder if the kids today know how (or will ever know how)
*** to spell properly after using all the short cuts and abbreviations on their cell phones.
*** Blows my old 69 year old mind with some of them.
*** I guess I am now hip (or is that obsolete too)?