Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cookie Table at weddings? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cookie-table-weddings-t209077.html)

bnlmom 12-23-2012 06:37 PM

I'm from Northeast Ohio too-this might be a nationality thing. I've been to a couple different weddings around here and some have cookie tables and others didn't. Also it could be the hall that might not let the family bring in "outside" food!
Personally, I love the homemade pastries that my family brings!

amandasgramma 12-23-2012 06:41 PM

I have never heard of that but I think it's a FABULOUS idea!!! Then people can hang around and not be hungry while waiting either for the food or the cake!!! :) :) If I'm ever involved in another wedding, I'll encourage this!

kathyd 12-23-2012 06:47 PM

Never heard of a cookie table but I like the idea. I was at a wedding this spring and there was a candy table. Great for snacking before the wedding party arrived and the meal was served.

QuiltingVagabond 12-23-2012 07:18 PM

My niece had a lavish wedding in Chicago 2 years ago, there was a table with all kinds of desserts. And a wedding cake.
There were a lot of firsts for this country bumpkin at that wedding! LOL

kathdavis 12-23-2012 07:44 PM

All of our Italian weddings here in Missouri have massive cookie tables, as well as, a large wedding cake. Since my mother had died three years before I got married and my husband is not Italian, I figured we wouldn't have cookies at my wedding, just food and cake. My dad, aunt, cousins and friends of the family would not hear of it. My dad and aunt got together and started baking and then friends of my family started calling asking me to come pick up all the cookies they had made. It was so touching. I was so blessed. An Italian getting married without a cookie table isn't really married, I guess.

My daughter is getting married in October, so I'll start baking and freezing them this summer while school is out.

quiltingfan 12-23-2012 08:34 PM

Boy I need to go to more weddings. I am missing out on all this stuff.

watson's mom 12-23-2012 08:57 PM

We live in Ontario, just across the border from Detroit so you can see we are some distance from Ohio. I have been to several Italian family weddings and they also have huge cookie tables and put out containers so you can take some home. They make cookies and pastries of every kind and there is always enough to feed a small army. I think it is a great custom, very generous.

hopetoquilt 12-24-2012 02:38 AM

I have to say that weddings around here tend to be overwhelmingly expensive, formal and often overwhelming. Yes, I have seen a cookie table alongside a 4 course meal. My brother went to a wedding in Michigan where there was a wedding and then coffee and cookies at the church hall after. The wedding was actually the focus of the day. How cool is that.

carolaug 12-24-2012 02:56 AM

I have never heard of that...but what a nice idea...no GREAT idea!

Sandygirl 12-24-2012 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis (Post 5737526)
All of our Italian weddings here in Missouri have massive cookie tables, as well as, a large wedding cake. Since my mother had died three years before I got married and my husband is not Italian, I figured we wouldn't have cookies at my wedding, just food and cake. My dad, aunt, cousins and friends of the family would not hear of it. My dad and aunt got together and started baking and then friends of my family started calling asking me to come pick up all the cookies they had made. It was so touching. I was so blessed. An Italian getting married without a cookie table isn't really married, I guess.

My daughter is getting married in October, so I'll start baking and freezing them this summer while school is out.

I love Italian!! In south St Louis, Mo, the local quip is that you are not legally married if you do not serve mostaciolli at the reception. Works for me! I love Italian food!

I prefer cookies over cake...just wish that I had thought of a cookie table when I got married. ;)
Sandy