Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cooking Disasters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cooking-disasters-t70700.html)

MaggieLou 10-18-2010 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by pab58
I have a cute story about my mom. She comes from a large family and is the oldest. Her father, my grandfather, used to love her baking. Well, one day she made a beautiful chocolate cake. She was so proud of that cake!! Grandpa was a coal miner who worked hard every day of his life and really appreciated my mom's yummy desserts. After dinner that evening, she cut him a nice big piece of chocolate cake. He took a big bite, started chewing, and my mom said he had a "funny look" on his face. He asked her what she had used to make her cake. She said, "Why, chocolate and eggs and flour and sugar." He then asked her if she was sure she had used sugar. She said, "Of course I used sugar." Well, come to find out she hadn't used sugar--she had used salt!!!! :lol: :lol: She's never made that mistake again!!!! She loves to tell that story.

I did something similar only this was for my parents 25th wedding anniversary party. My GF and I decided to make a tiered cake from scratch. We had to make the recipe twice and left the baking powder out both times. The cake had a great flavor but was like chewing rubber. :oops:

puck116 10-18-2010 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by SueKitten1
Embarrassing. On the first Thanksgiving that I cooked a turkey, I did the same thing, left the small package of stuff in the turkey. Imagine my surprise when ny DH cut the turkey and pulled it out! We all had a good laughand enjoyed our dinner. Now that my daughter cooks the meal, she called last year and asked "Am I supposed to take the bag out of the turkey?" Like mother, like daughter!

Isn't this a rite of passage? Newly married, I called my mother for directions to cook a chicken. She didn't say to removed that bag of innards, so I didn't. I know now though. I think I told my daughter to be sure to take out that bag.

drivingsusan 10-18-2010 07:50 AM

When I was very young and newly married my MIL asked me to make a pot of beans!! Having no inkling on how to do this and a great desire to please, I asked for directions. Was told only to make sure the beans were always covered with water, cook slowly and beans take a lot of salt.
Having never cooked anything more than opening a can and heating it on the stove, I moved forward with all the confidence of youth! Checked every 15-20 minutes to make sure the beans were still covered and added some salt every time I had to add water.
Now, the words 'some' and 'a lot' are not really good measuring terms.................so by the time the beans got tender I had put in nearly a half of a box of salt!!
MIL to rescue....peel and put a couple of potatoes in with the beans and they will soak up the salt!! It would have taken a 20# bag of potatoes to suck up all that salt!!!!
I never heard the end of that...until the divorce!!!!

cafegold2 10-18-2010 09:13 AM

During WWII as the story was told, turkey feed was so scarce , poultry farmers fed fish meal to them. The whole bird tasted like fish. !

dojo36 10-18-2010 03:12 PM

oh that is hilarious

scowlkat 10-18-2010 04:55 PM

I am the notorious bad cook in my family! Due to just two incidents but they were pretty bad. For my birthday one year, I asked the entire family over for dinner. My friend and I were cooking everything. Well I had pinto beans in the pressure cooker and asked my friend to turn them down. We resumed peeling potatoes when, you probably guessed!, the relief valve exploded, beans and bean juice were doing their impression of Old Faithful and we were trying to get close enough to pull the pot off the stove and throw a hand towel over the top to contain as much as we could. Thirty minutes later when everyone started to arrive, we were still cleaning bean juice off the ceiling and trying to clean up and had totally forgotten about the rest of the meal. We wound up having hamburgers from Sonic. Do you have any idea how slippery a tile floor is with hot bean juice all over it? (by the way, we figured out that my friend had turned the heat up instead of down)

scowlkat 10-18-2010 05:01 PM

Second incident: The Thanksgiving after my mother passed away, the entire clan was gathering at my brother's house for dinner (about 40 people). Well I had my mother's food processor - and had never used one before. I made a ton of cole slaw in just minutes. Well you have to have some onions don't you? So I made a ton of diced onions-way too many for the cole slaw so decided why not include some in my deviled eggs (3 dozen). While we were at the table, I noticed no one was eating any deviled eggs except me. When I mentioned it, my mother's best friend said, "Well, I'll certainly eat one!" She took one bite and spit it back into her napkin and exclaimed, "My word child what on earth did you do to these eggs?" Everyone rolled and since then, I am not allowed to bring deviled eggs to family gatherings. (I love onions in everything but have to admit they were a bit overwhelming!) Also haven't used a food processor since!

AlwaysQuilting 10-18-2010 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by puck116
Isn't this a rite of passage? Newly married, I called my mother for directions to cook a chicken. She didn't say to removed that bag of innards, so I didn't. I know now though. I think I told my daughter to be sure to take out that bag.

I did the same thing when I was first married!

okiepastor 10-18-2010 05:05 PM

One of my farmers' market customers once bought rhubarb chard, then came back the next week complaining that it made the worst pie they had ever tasted!She was really offended cause I laughed till I cried---- so did the sellers at the tables next to us!

AlwaysQuilting 10-18-2010 05:11 PM

When I was a newlywed back in the 60s I thought I'd surprise my husband with his favorite snack....homemade brownies. So I bought all the ingredients listed in my brand new Betty Crocker cookbook and I thought I'd followed the directions perfectly. Our trailer smelled so good as it was baking. I took them out of the oven, let them cool, then tried to get them out of the pan. They were like cement. Just then I heard my husband's car pull in so I threw the pan of brownies up in the back of a cupboard. He came in and smelled the chocolate and kept asking where the brownies were. I said he was crazy. I hadn't made any. Months went by and I'd forgotten all about the brownies being in the cupboard. Finally we could afford to move out of the trailer and guess what he found? The brownies looked fresh...no mold or anything, maybe a little dusty. He never let me live that down.